• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New labels (including yellow/green)

15 posts in this topic

So the Conserved Label is new:

This label is applied to any comic book with specific repairs done to improve the structural integrity and long-term preservation. These repairs include tear seals, support, staple replacement, piece reattachment and certain kinds of cleaning.

Is there any way to get an exact list as to what those "certain kinds of cleaning"? And would this also be including pressing?

This label is applied to any comic book with specific repairs done to improve the structural integrity and long-term preservation. These repairs include tear seals, support, staple replacement, piece reattachment and certain kinds of cleaning.

Is there any way to get an exact list as to what those "certain kinds of cleaning"? And would this also be including pressing?

Pressing is not conservation or restoration. Same as dry cleaning. Basically, if something can be done to a book without being detected, it is not considered restoration or conservation. If done properly, pressing and dry cleaning should not alter the book in any way.

Pressing is not conservation or restoration. Same as dry cleaning. Basically, if something can be done to a book without being detected, it is not considered restoration or conservation. If done properly, pressing and dry cleaning should not alter the book in any way.

If pressing doesn't alter the book......why do it? :juggle:

Do you consider it restoration or conservation when you dry clean or press (iron) your shirt?

The Conserved label was introduced back in 2014:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4030

"Certain kinds of cleaning" means chemical (wet) cleaning.

If done properly, dry cleaning is just as undetectable as pressing, so CGC's stance on those hasn't changed - neither will result in a conserved or restored label.

Eight different labels? Egads. What is wrong with one colour plus notes.

That it's far easier to see a book is in a SS or Restored slab when the label has a different color? :shrug:

Do you consider it restoration or conservation when you dry clean or press (iron) your shirt?

I'm not sure how often Chris would do either :D but if he were to, I suppose 'restoration' would be as good a word as any if the shirt were an antique collectible. (shrug)

It would seem that cleaning and pressing is very much restoration...

Full Definition of restoration

: an act of restoring or the condition of being restored: as

a : a bringing back to a former position or condition : reinstatement

b : restitution

c : a restoring to an unimpaired or improved condition

d : the replacing of missing teeth or crowns

...but the difficulty in detecting it in all cases leads us to the convenience of flying in the face of all logic and declaring it NOT restoration.

For those of you possibly too young to remember, for 30+ years, cleaning and pressing was considered a restorative technique by the industry bible, Overstreet, and they continued to classify it as such in edition after edition.

Things seemed to have changed, however, once the money began to speak. :/

hm, I wonder if people can opt out of Qualified labels for SS too (like they can vs Universal).

My Gil Kane sig book (with 6 SS Signatures) would have gotten the green strip otherwise...

That it's far easier to see a book is in a SS or Restored slab when the label has a different color? :shrug:

So noted - but I have no trouble reading.

Neither do I, but I greatly prefer not to have to squint in order to figure out whether a book is restored or not.

Neither do I, but I greatly prefer not to have to squint in order to figure out whether a book is restored or not.

Don't worry we have it all figured out here with our new new new labels

FfZcQfw.jpg