• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this for real?

23 posts in this topic

Just thought the irregularities in the lower left corner could be brushstrokes.

I think it's a print since it doesn't make sense that they already did their artist 90's scroll signature in the bottom left, and then signed it again especially in such noticeable areas.

"Very nice custom framed King Kull original unpublished art. Pencils by John Buscema, inks by Ernie"

(shrug)

Is that a print painted by Ken?

That's what it looks like to me.

An 8.5" x 11" (standard copier size) printout of art by McFarlane that was airbrushed, and hand painted on. Then presented to Todd to sign at some point down the line?

Kind of like the folks that print off pencils and bluelines from CAF galleries, do their own inks over said pencils, and then sell the inked result...

Is that a print painted by Ken?

That's what it looks like to me.

An 8.5" x 11" (standard copier size) printout of art by McFarlane that was airbrushed, and hand painted on. Then presented to Todd to sign at some point down the line?

Kind of like the folks that print off pencils and bluelines from CAF galleries, do their own inks over said pencils, and then sell the inked result...

Agree. I was going to say that, based on the size of it and the little spots of "bleedover", it looks almost like a color guide.

Definitely wouldn't bid on it like it was an original. Already way past what I would even consider paying for it.

Even if it's a "colour guide", if that is actual original Steacy paints over a copy, that's still a pretty great piece. I'm sure if the original Spawn covers were done similarly (does anyone know?) those covers would fetch BIG money... even without Todd's pencils underneath.

Even if it's a "colour guide", if that is actual original Steacy paints over a copy, that's still a pretty great piece. I'm sure if the original Spawn covers were done similarly (does anyone know?) those covers would fetch BIG money... even without Todd's pencils underneath.

My guess from looking at it is that its a color comp, not a color guide. Meaning, original Steacy paint but not the published version; a draft. Why not ask Ken? He's easy to get a hold of.

I think the seller is being coy and knows what he has, FWIW

My guess from looking at it is that its a color comp, not a color guide. Meaning, original Steacy paint but not the published version; a draft. Why not ask Ken? He's easy to get a hold of.

I think the seller is being coy and knows what he has, FWIW

I agree.. NO way the seller wouldn't know this is a published image.. Seriously you search google with Todd mcfarlane and Ken Steacy spawn .. That's one of the images that pops up.. So totally a coy IMO

Yes. What he's hoping is that someone thinks his color comp is the final and bids accordingly.

He is calling it unpublished which is true and would no doubt be his defense in the aftermath. Yet, he "helpfully" states he's been told its published to deliberately confuse and encourage googling of the image, and potential bidding on it as though it were final. All my speculation, but I think its pretty plausible that's what he's doing.

Ken's paints over Todd's blue lines for issue 2 were available previously. I believe the asking price was 35K. I love that cover but could never go that high for what it is.

Interesting. And the fact that the #2 cover is on a much larger surface,

where are you picking that up? The CAF description seems to show a similar size

"Original painted cover to SPAWN #2.

Measures approx 10 3/4" x 15", airbrush on artboard, framed under glass."

Ah I see. 8.5 by 11 on the ebay piece.

Color comps are usually smaller than final paintings.

Ken paints unusually small on his finals for someone using airbrush but 8.5 by 11 is not out of the ordinary for a color comp size from what I've seen. I have color comps of the same size from the same era (different artists mind you).