• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply ygogolak. So not worth much lol! Might be a little more in Australia but anyway not bad for $3. I also picked up a Transmetropolitan #1 Sep 97 in excellent condition bagged and boarded for $3. It was strange we dont really have a source for comics in the town i live in we can take a trip to Melbourne comic stores but very low chance of finding anything there. So i went to local second hand book dealer and there was a pile of about 50 comics all fairly modern in terrible condition i find two hidden away in the middle bagged and boarded spawn and metropolitan. 

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I hope it has spine stress marks. I hate all you Dragon finders.

Why? Surely they can't be THAT hard to find. This is the first time I've ever dug through $1 boxes actively looking for Image newsstands and there were probably only a dozen for me to look through.

21 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I hope it has spine stress marks. I hate all you Dragon finders.

Why? Surely they can't be THAT hard to find. This is the first time I've ever dug through $1 boxes actively looking for Image newsstands and there were probably only a dozen for me to look through.

Ive been to 15+ stores, multiple flea markets and antique stores and a convention or two. I have found at least one of every Image book except Dragon and Wildstar.(Ive seen a Wildstar online in a huge lot.). I cant even begin to tell the piles and piles 90s Drek I have looked thru for one.

The Dragons are out there I have found issues 2,3 and 4 just not 1 yet. Its a fun chase I will find one eventually.

Edited by fastballspecial

6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Ive been to 15+ stores, multiple flea markets and antique stores and a convention or two. I have found at least one of every Image book except Dragon and Wildstar.(Ive seen a Wildstar online in a huge lot.). I cant even begin to tell the piles and piles 90s Drek I have looked thru for one.

The Dragons are out there I have found issues 2,3 and 4 just not 1 yet. Its a fun chase I will find one eventually.

Well, smile! It has more than three........

On 7/6/2017 at 4:33 PM, fastballspecial said:

(worship)

On 7/6/2017 at 2:14 PM, FlyingDonut said:

The Donut Way:

Cost of book: At this point, almost all are free as costs have been recouped already, but lets say $0.10 just to keep it interesting.
Book sells for $5.00.
Because I'm a Top Rated Seller, I get big discounts on shipping, so I get $0.25 in profit on my shipping, so gross in for a $5 item is $5.25.
eBay fees: $1.35
Paypal fees: $0.51
Cost of materials to protect item $0.19 for 1 sheet 200# card board from Papermart. All other shipping supplies are free from either the UPS or USPS.
Cost of fuel to ship item: $0.00. Not my cost, USPS
Net profit: $3.10

Time to scan pic/upload: 30 seconds
Time to create listing including all relevant details: 1 minute
Time to process payment: 20 seconds
Time to package book: 1 minute
Extra time to take item from the office door to the mail drop instead of just going to my desk: 10 seconds.
Total time: 3:00

Sales conversion (last 12 months): 88.1%

Hourly rate (($3.10 * (60/3))*.881) = $54.62. 

$54.62 for something I can do every night with my brain turned completely off - and that's only selling things for $5 on average - that's the absolute minimum. My 90-day moving average (right now) for sales is $13.76 an item - which comes out to $11.49 per item in profit (based on the above calculations).  That's $202.45 an hour. 

Just saying.

You take better pep pills than I do if you can do a listing every 90 seconds and package a book a minute (which includes finding the darn thing), although i agree that RMA's 10-20 minute a listing and 5-20 minute packing estimates are high for an efficient volume operation.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:44 AM, fastballspecial said:

It's a niche market for this book. Most don't even know it exists

It does sell well just some books on this board won't sell because of different buying group.

Most are buying to complete the set or like me prove it actually exists.

That's the sort of book you put up as a fixed price listing on ebay with a chunky price and wait for someone to come along and make an offer.  maybe months. there is one copy up, a 9.8 for $279

On 7/1/2017 at 5:32 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sigh.

Chuck (and the seller) are making things up. Chuck's number isn't meant to be precise; it's hyperbole to demonstrate the point.

And this new snake-oil "selling technique" of calling newsstand Image books "1:100 rarity" is total nonsense. Nobody but Image, perhaps Malibu, and perhaps Curtis (the newsstand distributor) knows how many newsstand copies they made.

But do you know what we know for certainty...?

Image did not print only 1 copy of the newsstand for every 100 copies of the regular edition.

That's not how the newsstand has ever worked.

Newsstand copies...yes, even with Image...were returnable; it was in Image's interests at the time to print much more than they thought they could sell, because that's how the newsstand has worked since the 30's.

Consider: the "official report" of Spawn #1 is that there were 1.75-2.5 million copies printed. That would mean that Image printed "only 17,500-25,000" copies of the newsstand version.

Think about that.

Spawn #1.

The absolute height of Todd and Image mania.

17k-25k...? For distribution throughout the entire North American newsstand market...?

Dream the hell on. That number isn't less than 200-300k copies. And, sure, while a good number will have been returned and destroyed, a substantial number would have been saved. 

YES, Image newsstands are harder to find than their Direct counterparts. YES, they weren't saved in as great numbers. YES, they tend to be in much lower condition, generally. 

But NO, they are NOT RARE, in any real sense of that word, even relatively. They are rarER, but "rare"? 1%? 1:100?

Not hardly.

The reason they're tough to find is that there isn't a premium for them that would inspire people to do a general hunt for them. They've existed under the radar for so very many years...but they certainly exist. I bought multiple copies from Chuck in 2012-2013 or so...and not for a premium. Chuck probably has 10-50 copies of all of the Image newsstands from 1992-1994, and 1-3 of each after that.

As well, this article...one of several I have found by this "Benjamin Nobel" person containing errors and unsupportable "conclusions"...perpetuates the same mistake.

I wish these folks would stop writing error, but hey, that's the internet for you.

Don't fall for it, people. It's baloney, meant to fool you into purchasing something.

I don't know the answer, but when image came onto the scene in 1992 were they ready full blast with getting a ton of product out on newsstands?  and also, i wonder about 200-300K.  there were only so many spots on newsstands.  they aren't going to fill 20 racks with spawn 1 or keep a box of them to re-fill.  why wouldn't spwan 1 be on par with the newsstand circulation of a solid selling marvel book from the day?  were newsstands getting hundreds of extra copies of this #1 to re-fill the racks with?

no vested interest.  i have no newsstand spawn 1s.  but 200-300K sounds high because it sounds like a chunk higher than any other book out there in terms of newsstand copies.  maybe i'm wrong..what were the newsstand numbers like on x-men 1 and spiderman 1?  (which i think is a bit different as a known ocmmodity from marvel, not a new company).  with that said, i'd venture to guess there were very few returns of spawn 1.