• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:20 PM, BishopT said:

Found two Shadowhawk #1 ns today, as well as a mid grade WildCATS #1 ns... still on the hunt for a Supreme #1 ns and The Maxx #1 and up newsstands. Also, last week at Heroes I found a Spawn #100 newsstand for $10, don't know if the ratio goes down the higher you go in Spawn issues, but I'd imagine that one's pretty scarce, right? I've been looking for a newsstand Spawn #96 newsstand for the last couple of years, and the only other one from that time frame I've found in high grade is #97 (the Angela cover). Did they do newsstands for Spawn in the 200s at all?

I found all my Shadowhawks NS and Supreme NS in one place. I haven't found any other in over 15 stores and flea markets, and strip malls in the last year. They seem to be really tough. Savage Dragon is killing me cant find it. I found a Union the other day and a Wetworks which were both a 1st for me. If you look at Spawn sales a lot of higher issue newsstands are selling for $5-10 a copy which is pretty good in high grade. I could kick myself for not keeping a run of Spawn in the 120s that were all high grade newsstands. 

Speaking of Spawn I found my first newsstand last night. I have trouble finding Spawn 1s in stores usually anyway, but this one took me almost a year to find one. I got a Maxx the other night as well. I cant even begin to tell you the number of direct copies I have to look thru on these books before I even comic across a newsstand copy in at all let alone in high grade. I did find a Darker Image 1 as well I wasn't sure it existed. 

So far to me Wildcats, Spawn and Savage Dragon are the toughest, but the other books I don't ever find as many copies of them so its not very accurate yet, just on my experience.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:49 AM, ygogolak said:

Well, I guess this definitively answers this question:

WildC.A.T.S. #1 CGC 9.8 NEWSSTAND

Listing comes complete with a quote from Chuck.

Sigh.

Chuck (and the seller) are making things up. Chuck's number isn't meant to be precise; it's hyperbole to demonstrate the point.

And this new snake-oil "selling technique" of calling newsstand Image books "1:100 rarity" is total nonsense. Nobody but Image, perhaps Malibu, and perhaps Curtis (the newsstand distributor) knows how many newsstand copies they made.

But do you know what we know for certainty...?

Image did not print only 1 copy of the newsstand for every 100 copies of the regular edition.

That's not how the newsstand has ever worked.

Newsstand copies...yes, even with Image...were returnable; it was in Image's interests at the time to print much more than they thought they could sell, because that's how the newsstand has worked since the 30's.

Consider: the "official report" of Spawn #1 is that there were 1.75-2.5 million copies printed. That would mean that Image printed "only 17,500-25,000" copies of the newsstand version.

Think about that.

Spawn #1.

The absolute height of Todd and Image mania.

17k-25k...? For distribution throughout the entire North American newsstand market...?

Dream the hell on. That number isn't less than 200-300k copies. And, sure, while a good number will have been returned and destroyed, a substantial number would have been saved. 

YES, Image newsstands are harder to find than their Direct counterparts. YES, they weren't saved in as great numbers. YES, they tend to be in much lower condition, generally. 

But NO, they are NOT RARE, in any real sense of that word, even relatively. They are rarER, but "rare"? 1%? 1:100?

Not hardly.

The reason they're tough to find is that there isn't a premium for them that would inspire people to do a general hunt for them. They've existed under the radar for so very many years...but they certainly exist. I bought multiple copies from Chuck in 2012-2013 or so...and not for a premium. Chuck probably has 10-50 copies of all of the Image newsstands from 1992-1994, and 1-3 of each after that.

As well, this article...one of several I have found by this "Benjamin Nobel" person containing errors and unsupportable "conclusions"...perpetuates the same mistake.

I wish these folks would stop writing error, but hey, that's the internet for you.

Don't fall for it, people. It's baloney, meant to fool you into purchasing something.

On 6/23/2017 at 7:37 AM, Davidone said:

Oh right. I forgot we are doing moderns here. Sorry. I got excited about finding this variant in the wild, haha

Also, that's a Direct market copy, not a "Whitman" (though Whitman was the DM's biggest customer in that period.)

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Also, that's a Direct market copy, not a "Whitman" (though Whitman was the DM's biggest customer in that period.)

I think its okay to call it a Whitman as long as they know or are told the history behind it. Its just a nickname that helps identify the books. Its a nice conversation piece at stores and conventions when you come across one to tell the complete story behind it.

Edited by fastballspecial

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Don't fall for it, people. It's baloney, meant to fool you into purchasing something.

^^

As well, this article...one of several I have found by this "Benjamin Nobel" person containing errors and unsupportable "conclusions"...perpetuates the same mistake.

Yeah, his facts are sparse at best and his attempts at logic remind me of "A Day Off." Is anybody else familiar with that old joke?

The reason they're tough to find is that there isn't a premium for them that would inspire people to do a general hunt for them.

Except maybe for Spawn 1, which is why there are currently around 100 copies visible on eBay between active and sold listings.

I flipped my Spawn 1 newsstand on ebay, $5 to $55 shipped, and I was dumb enough to turn down $75 shipped when it was priced (much) higher. It was high grade enough, 1 tiny cb spine tick and not much else that I could see. So it is worth a premium in the market right now and I sold to fund a larger purchase. It is a good flip right now who knows what will happen in the future. Buyers and sellers, that is the only sure thing.

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sigh.

Chuck (and the seller) are making things up. Chuck's number isn't meant to be precise; it's hyperbole to demonstrate the point.

And this new snake-oil "selling technique" of calling newsstand Image books "1:100 rarity" is total nonsense. Nobody but Image, perhaps Malibu, and perhaps Curtis (the newsstand distributor) knows how many newsstand copies they made.

But do you know what we know for certainty...?

Image did not print only 1 copy of the newsstand for every 100 copies of the regular edition.

That's not how the newsstand has ever worked.

Newsstand copies...yes, even with Image...were returnable; it was in Image's interests at the time to print much more than they thought they could sell, because that's how the newsstand has worked since the 30's.

Consider: the "official report" of Spawn #1 is that there were 1.75-2.5 million copies printed. That would mean that Image printed "only 17,500-25,000" copies of the newsstand version.

Think about that.

Spawn #1.

The absolute height of Todd and Image mania.

17k-25k...? For distribution throughout the entire North American newsstand market...?

Dream the hell on. That number isn't less than 200-300k copies. And, sure, while a good number will have been returned and destroyed, a substantial number would have been saved. 

YES, Image newsstands are harder to find than their Direct counterparts. YES, they weren't saved in as great numbers. YES, they tend to be in much lower condition, generally. 

But NO, they are NOT RARE, in any real sense of that word, even relatively. They are rarER, but "rare"? 1%? 1:100?

Not hardly.

The reason they're tough to find is that there isn't a premium for them that would inspire people to do a general hunt for them. They've existed under the radar for so very many years...but they certainly exist. I bought multiple copies from Chuck in 2012-2013 or so...and not for a premium. Chuck probably has 10-50 copies of all of the Image newsstands from 1992-1994, and 1-3 of each after that.

I wish these folks would stop writing error, but hey, that's the internet for you.

I agree with most of this.

The tide has changed on the "premium" however. 90s drek Image IS selling with a UPC.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=image newsstand&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Found this yesterday didn't buy it. Never seen them sealed before. I was lucky to find a nm+ copy last year but this reprint is a tough find in high grade. Its the reprint of the giant size treasure team ups. I will attach a pic later as my phone isn't helping me out.imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

20170630_204545.jpg

20170630_204549.jpg

Edited by fastballspecial

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

The tide has changed on the "premium" however. 90s drek Image IS selling with a UPC.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=image newsstand&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Well...the definition of "premium" aside, if you take out Spawn, you end up with about 40 listings. For a book to be "worth it" to list, it needs to sell for about $10 BEFORE S&H...maybe $9, but now you're working for less than minimum wage. That's not a "premium", when you're dealing with individual books.

When you consider that, you're now down to, as of this moment, precisely six (6) listings for raw books, and two slabs.

Working for minimum wage or less...while fun...doesn't really inspire the effort to search. The Spawn #1 sales, however, will. We should see more show up shortly. 

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Well...the definition of "premium" aside, if you take out Spawn, you end up with about 40 listings. For a book to be "worth it" to list, it needs to sell for about $10 BEFORE S&H...maybe $9, but now you're working for less than minimum wage. That's not a "premium", when you're dealing with individual books.

When you consider that, you're now down to, as of this moment, precisely six (6) listings for raw books, and two slabs.

Working for minimum wage or less...while fun...doesn't really inspire the effort to search. The Spawn #1 sales, however, will. We should see more show up shortly. 

Thought this was a neat picture:

s-l1600.jpg

10 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Oh please. If I buy a book for a $1 and it sells for $10 its profit. Easy and quick profit.  Rinse and repeat. 

Its less risky and less headaches.