• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Philflound said:

I get the idea that newsstand copies are supposed to be harder to find than direct edition copies, but would this apply to Archie titles from the 80's and 90's?  Just curious about how many comic shop owners ordered Archie titles versus what was available on newsstands.  If fewer shops ordered the direct copies wouldn't those be rarer than newsstands?

1 minute ago, Fiddy said:

I get the idea that newsstand copies are supposed to be harder to find than direct edition copies, but would this apply to Archie titles from the 80's and 90's?  Just curious about how many comic shop owners ordered Archie titles versus what was available on newsstands.  If fewer shops ordered the direct copies wouldn't those be rarer than newsstands?

That may be true, though this issue is impossible to find regardless. Looking at the sold list, 2 copies were sold by the same person. It looks like he actually scanned his and both were newsstand. The other 2 sold used mycomicshop default photo so that doesn't count. 4 copies plus this one. Very tough book overall. I wonder what the total print run was of this book.

10 hours ago, Fiddy said:

Nice.  I also see one for sale.  Not sure if I'm going to pay that price for the book.

There's a direct sales copy in a set of Bettys on eBay for $95. For that $95 plus shipping, you get almost the entire set. I collect the ever-increasingly harder to find DeCarlo bikini covers (and Cheryl Blossom covers), so that is a comic I had to have for my collection or else I wouldn't have paid so much for it.

I don't think the NOW Comics newsstand editions are all that rare. I interviewed Tony Caputo several years ago for a Back Issue Magazine article on Green Hornet and, from what I can remember, NOW had a very healthy newsstand distribution.

Just going through some random long boxes of stuff, I found two Terminator #1 newsstands, a Married ... with Children #1 newsstand and a few others. I don't think these are all that rare. NOWs are getting harder and harder to find in dollar boxes - especially in good shape, though. I rarely see Fright Nights and some of those early issues of Ralph Snart are impossible to find. And try putting together a set of all the NOW Green Hornets, including the miniseries. That can be tough if you're trying to do it by buying out of comic shops.

On 10/1/2017 at 11:15 AM, Michael Browning said:

I don't think the NOW Comics newsstand editions are all that rare. I interviewed Tony Caputo several years ago for a Back Issue Magazine article on Green Hornet and, from what I can remember, NOW had a very healthy newsstand distribution.

Just going through some random long boxes of stuff, I found two Terminator #1 newsstands, a Married ... with Children #1 newsstand and a few others. I don't think these are all that rare. NOWs are getting harder and harder to find in dollar boxes - especially in good shape, though. I rarely see Fright Nights and some of those early issues of Ralph Snart are impossible to find. And try putting together a set of all the NOW Green Hornets, including the miniseries. That can be tough if you're trying to do it by buying out of comic shops.

Interesting... I just saw a handful of the NOW Green Hornet books at the LCS over the weekend, have to pick them up next time. I did find The Twilight Zone 3-D Special (still bagged with glasses) in a dollar bin. 

Would one of those NOW Terminator #1's be for sale?

12 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I found a Splittin' Image #2 newsstand in a long box today, along with a Spawn 5 and WildCATS 2 and 3. I'd say the Splittin' Image #2 is very rare. Anyone ever found a Stupid #1 newsstand from Image?

I found a 2 Splitting image as well but it was a fine at best. What's nice is you know there has to be 1s out too.

11 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

Interesting... I just saw a handful of the NOW Green Hornet books at the LCS over the weekend, have to pick them up next time. I did find The Twilight Zone 3-D Special (still bagged with glasses) in a dollar bin. 

Would one of those NOW Terminator #1's be for sale?

Heck yeah. I don't intend to keep any of this stuff. I've said it before, but anyone who wants any of these Image -- and NOW -- newsstands can PM me and I'll let them go.

Edited by Michael Browning