• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failed board transaction.

157 posts in this topic

As a Canadian, there are 2 additional things that most of us keeps an eye on. The exchange rate and cross boarder duty. I try to convert funds at optimal times/rates knowing that PayPal tends to be quite high and I often ask if the seller is able to indicate a low value to help with customs. Seller will reply yay or nay, at which point, I may or may not continue with the purchase.

I recently contacted a board seller and negotiated some terms. I asked if he could include the shipping in the asking price and if he could help mark down the book. We went back and forth a bit but in the end he AGREED, so I sent payment.

Soon after, he refunded the payment saying that he couldn't go through with the transaction because his wife was upset about doing something dishonest. Yes... the wife excuse again. He also said that he would proceed if he could indicate the full value of the book. So I thought about it and since I was partly invested in this deal I said okay, let's proceed. But now he has reneged on the deal again saying that his wife is all stress out about it.

He keeps saying he'll pay me the PayPal exchange rate that I incurred if the Board moderators think he should, but I'll eventually use the US funds so I'm not actually asking for any compensation. I just want him to follow through with the deal.

I've had people on eBay renege on deals before but never on the boards. Is this a common thing here? Am I over reacting by even posting this? I'm not out to "get" any one and I'm happy to leave things as they are but I just find it very annoying.

Was it the X-Men 1?

14dn82.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Should have gone with the gif, fingh

giphy.gif

If Americans had to pay a tax duty anytime we bought something you might hear a different tune more sympathetic to your pov.

But as righteous individuals we only think it's ok to cheat on taxes with which we might happen to disagree (and frankly Canadian/UK extortionate customs duties aren't high on the list).

That's a bad argument. Every nation has its benefits and shortfalls of citizenship. If you don't like something about the law, the proper thing to do is work to change it, not disregard it because you don't agree with it.

To be fair, his argument seems to be that perhaps American sellers would be more sympathetic to the request, whether that means a willingness to do it or not, rather than a suggestion that American sellers should in fact be more sympathetic, or that Canadians should actively avoid taxes they don't agree with. As a general, human-nature type observation, he makes a valid point.

True, but then what would be the point of making such an observation, if not to then imply that's what *should* be, too...?

hm

Not that people don't make observations without points all the time, but still...

:D

If Americans had to pay a tax duty anytime we bought something you might hear a different tune more sympathetic to your pov.

But as righteous individuals we only think it's ok to cheat on taxes with which we might happen to disagree (and frankly Canadian/UK extortionate customs duties aren't high on the list).

I guess NAFTA only works one way. Free trade was supposed help the lesser communities. Despite all the promises, the last I heard, the poor people are still poor and the rich people are richer.

I admit, I don't understand the concept of tax on personal goods.

without getting into it, I don't think nafta as a whole has very much to do with private sales of individual comic books over the borders.

Also, without getting into it, NAFTA, just like nearly every single political or governmental decision ever made will have some winners and some losers. And sometimes the exact same people win in some ways, and lose in others.

The best you can do in a democracy is vote for the people and policies who will do the most good (in your opinion) for the most people, or those who have similar priorities and stances on the issues you hold most dearly. No decision will be universally beneficial to all, and there are no perfect politicians.

Just FYI: Value declaration.

You should request to fully declare the proper value of your shipped item.

Why?

1. Insurance. Insurance only covers the declared value. If something bad happens like the parcel gets damaged/ lost you are screwed unless the full value was declared.

2. Legal. it is against the law to falsify information, you don't want to mess with Canada Customs. Canada Customs can FORCE you to provide proof of purchase before they release your item, especially if they open it to inspect and find something they know is worth more than declared value.

I think that item #1 here is a valid point, unless practically all of the international items one receives are delivered in undamaged condition, and it seems worth the gamble to have it declared for less.

AFA item 2, it's no skin off the sellers nose to under-declare valuation to another country, and the buyer isn't lying; he didn't declare the value. Additionally, do you really think the customs agents would be able to discern the value of any particular old comic book, given that condition, a subjective determination unless slabbed, could be argued and is a major determination of value?

You seem to be getting admonished from some board members because you are trying to *gasp* do something illegal. Screw 'em, it's your hard-earned money; if they wanna be such goodie-goodies, let them send you the difference to pay the higher customs rate (bet you get no takers).

It's also unethical -- you're asking somebody to deliberately lie on a form. Many people who enter a transaction are uncomfortable being asked to lie as part of the transaction. Even if it's considered an inconsequential lie (to some), it's still lying, and believe it or not there are people who try to go through life being honest in their words and deeds. I don't think that makes anybody a "goodie-goodie" (shouldn't that term have been retired from your vocabulary when you were a teenager?), it just means they prefer to be able to walk away from a transaction without feeling they've compromised themselves somehow.

Yes, sorry for the somewhat harsh term. As the OP stated though, he asks, some sellers agree, some don't. Never hurts to ask.

Good discussion here!

re: the bolded part above.

I have had Canada Customs hold a comic until I drove to their customs office at the airport and provide the information and value of the purchase. From this they determined the correct customs value and made sure they collected.

Took 3 hours of the day to complete.

To be fair, his argument seems to be that perhaps American sellers would be more sympathetic to the request, whether that means a willingness to do it or not, rather than a suggestion that American sellers should in fact be more sympathetic, or that Canadians should actively avoid taxes they don't agree with. As a general, human-nature type observation, he makes a valid point.

You are right, that was part of it.

Also, there was a hidden joke to myself buried in there about how the US was formed because our predecessors got fed up with British tax increases on tea, etc.

And finally I was vaguely implying that the outraged Americans are largely hypocrites unless they voluntarily declare and pay their 8% (or whatever) sales tax to NY, Cal or Texas (or wherever) for every comic book they bought on ebay, here or basically anywhere except their local comic shop (which would've charged the tax at time of sale). By the law of Sales & Use Tax in each US state, anyone is the same as this OP if they do not pay their full sales tax by voluntarily declaring to their state tax guys, each and every purchase from wherever obtained (comics or otherwise, unless you have a tax certificate).

Just FYI: Value declaration.

You should request to fully declare the proper value of your shipped item.

Why?

1. Insurance. Insurance only covers the declared value. If something bad happens like the parcel gets damaged/ lost you are screwed unless the full value was declared.

2. Legal. it is against the law to falsify information, you don't want to mess with Canada Customs. Canada Customs can FORCE you to provide proof of purchase before they release your item, especially if they open it to inspect and find something they know is worth more than declared value.

I think that item #1 here is a valid point, unless practically all of the international items one receives are delivered in undamaged condition, and it seems worth the gamble to have it declared for less.

AFA item 2, it's no skin off the sellers nose to under-declare valuation to another country, and the buyer isn't lying; he didn't declare the value. Additionally, do you really think the customs agents would be able to discern the value of any particular old comic book, given that condition, a subjective determination unless slabbed, could be argued and is a major determination of value?

You seem to be getting admonished from some board members because you are trying to *gasp* do something illegal. Screw 'em, it's your hard-earned money; if they wanna be such goodie-goodies, let them send you the difference to pay the higher customs rate (bet you get no takers).

It's also unethical -- you're asking somebody to deliberately lie on a form. Many people who enter a transaction are uncomfortable being asked to lie as part of the transaction. Even if it's considered an inconsequential lie (to some), it's still lying, and believe it or not there are people who try to go through life being honest in their words and deeds. I don't think that makes anybody a "goodie-goodie" (shouldn't that term have been retired from your vocabulary when you were a teenager?), it just means they prefer to be able to walk away from a transaction without feeling they've compromised themselves somehow.

Yes, sorry for the somewhat harsh term. As the OP stated though, he asks, some sellers agree, some don't. Never hurts to ask.

Good discussion here!

re: the bolded part above.

I have had Canada Customs hold a comic until I drove to their customs office at the airport and provide the information and value of the purchase. From this they determined the correct customs value and made sure they collected.

Took 3 hours of the day to complete.

I do that every time when I was at the border booth. I show Canadian customs the invoice and documents, show them the books. As long they see the value is true and all matched. Sometimes I am let go home ... sometimes I pay the duty fee.

FYI, the customs don't count the shipping cost as part of the equation. Only the value of items is considered.

Also, there was a hidden joke to myself buried in there about how the US was formed because our predecessors got fed up with British tax increases on tea, etc.

And finally I was vaguely implying that the outraged Americans are largely hypocrites unless they voluntarily declare and pay their 8% (or whatever) sales tax to NY, Cal or Texas (or wherever) for every comic book they bought on ebay, here or basically anywhere except their local comic shop (which would've charged the tax at time of sale). By the law of Sales & Use Tax in each US state, anyone is the same as this OP if they do not pay their full sales tax by voluntarily declaring to their state tax guys, each and every purchase from wherever obtained (comics or otherwise, unless you have a tax certificate).

In other words....my observation was correct.

Suck it, Coy. :D

Thank god that I still wear the pants...that I'm still king of the castle...that I still have a modicum of manhood...that my wife isn't a controlling :censored: and I never have to flex control in the first place.

I'd be humiliated to send that as an excuse for backing out of a deal.

-------

Would you consider writing a advice column ?

In other words....my observation was correct.

Suck it, Coy. :D

I shan't suck upon it.

You're still not right. His argument is that it's hypocritical to moralize about Canadians paying their taxes if you don't pay your state taxes on your transactions. He still hasn't recommended that Canadians evade their taxes, or that Americans should oblige the request. In other words, he finds the moralizing adorable.

You terrible man.

Welcome to the boards. :applause:

For all of you who are OUTRAGED at your kids not cleaning their rooms, I have to ask: When you're walking around the park, and you see garbage on the grass, do you pick it up and throw it in the waste basket? No? Then you're a bunch of HYPOCRITES!

Also, for those OUTRAGED at the thieves who take valuable items out of unlocked cars, let me ask you this: When you walk around and you find a $20 bill on the ground, do you go on Craigslist to find out if somebody lost it? Do you turn the $20 bill in to the authorities? Do you paste pictures on telephone poles around town with a picture of the $20 bill and say "FOUND: $20 BILL -- IS THIS YOURS?" Or do you take that $20 and KEEP IT LIKE A HYPOCRITE???

Your hypocrisy is an outrage!

For all of you who are OUTRAGED at your kids not cleaning their rooms, I have to ask: When you're walking around the park, and you see garbage on the grass, do you pick it up and throw it in the waste basket? No? Then you're a bunch of HYPOCRITES!

Also, for those OUTRAGED at the thieves who take valuable items out of unlocked cars, let me ask you this: When you walk around and you find a $20 bill on the ground, do you go on Craigslist to find out if somebody lost it? Do you turn the $20 bill in to the authorities? Do you paste pictures on telephone poles around town with a picture of the $20 bill and say "FOUND: $20 BILL -- IS THIS YOURS?" Or do you take that $20 and KEEP IT LIKE A HYPOCRITE???

:signofftopic:

When I was a little kid (like pre-school age) I found a twenty outside the grocery store and showed it to my mom.

She promptly went inside and showed it to the manager. He said if anyone asked about it, he would give it to them; and if not, in two weeks I could keep it.

Two weeks later I was living the high life. :whee:

(Actually Mom put it in the bank for me.) :sumo:

When I was a little kid (like pre-school age) I found a twenty outside the grocery store and showed it to my mom.

She promptly went inside and showed it to the manager. He said if anyone asked about it, he would give it to them; and if not, in two weeks I could keep it.

Two weeks later I was living the high life. :whee:

(Actually Mom put it in the bank for me.) :sumo:

When I was a kid, I found a wallet filled with money in the restroom at a pizza place. I turned it in and the customer was there - guy didn't even give me (small child) any sort of reward. meh

When I was in high school, I worked at Blockbuster. I worked the day shift during the summer and was vacuuming an aisle when I found a $100 bill on the floor. I remembered the last customer was a woman and two small kids. I looked up her account and called her. The woman was so thankful - it was her grocery money. She brought me in a bunch of chocolates as a thank you. :)

I just tack the 20 on a telephone pole and write 'whoever lost this 20-here it is. No one else take it pls.'