• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko chewed me out

105 posts in this topic

Send him another letter saying 'so the past is irrelevant/pointless. You better inform all the historians of this amazing fact',

He doesn't sign it to any comic books or anything. He does sign letters. He always says 'if I sign yours I'll have to sign everyone's'. Someone needs to tell him no you won't. A woman doesn't have to go out with every man once she's gone out with one. You can choose you know.

I was under the assumption that Ditko did not sign his name to anything.

No, Steve Ditko will refuse all requests for an autograph by returning a hand written letter which he ends with a signature.

No, Steve Ditko will refuse all requests for an autograph by returning a hand written letter which he ends with a signature.

(thumbs u

thanks

He hates anything to do with the past or bringing up the past or any mention of the historic nature of his work. My letter he never responded to also broke that rule of his.

In fact an angry Ditko letter is more iconic and thus more collectible.

Anyone have an opinion on why he got so cheesed off by my letter? Is there anything there that I wrote that could have been interpreted as an insult?

Dude, that letter is awesome. He's usually polite, even when declining requests.

You got a serious keepsake there. Just enough to annoy him but not o much that he doesn't respond.

As for "why?" I could have warned you that Steve is an eyes forward guy, especially when it comes to his work on Spider-man. He doesn't want to talk about it, dwell on it, etc. that's just how he is.

Anyone have an opinion on why he got so cheesed off by my letter? Is there anything there that I wrote that could have been interpreted as an insult?

Ditko's feelings on his past work and art related topics are pretty much common

knowledge. Perhaps he views any inquires - no matter how innocent - as "trolls"

and responds accordingly. Your letter was most likely sincere and posed an innocent

question. One that he's probably heard way too many times. He took the time to

reply (though not as kindly as you may have liked) but what was the alternative: a)

answer your question and you share his reply and then he gets flooded with mail

or b) he tosses your letter in the trash and you gripe how he couldn't even bother

to answer your inquiry.

Just curious - did you at least enclose a SASE with your letter? If so, maybe he felt

"obligated" to send you a reply, even if it was a bit curt.

From what I heard he'd prefer to be left alone and not "dwell on the past". As much

as fans admire his work and would like some sort of connection, why not respect

his wishes? It's probably a pretty safe bet that any fan who writes to him is not gonna

be the one to make him realize he's been "wrong" for all these years and now he

should embrace his legacy.

Hahahahaha

You didn't do anything wrong. I got a similar letter, lol. I had a work vacation maybe around the beginning of the year- I had free time so I wrote a short innocent letter that brought up a few questions about stuff he does dwell on- as he has published several essays / commentaries on the topics over the last 15 years. He responded with a miserable letter that is clear he misunderstood what I said (even though reading the letter, there is no way to misinterpret).

I'd chalk it up to the fact that he's up there in age. His work on ASM with Stan Lee is to me (and probably many others) possibly the greatest comic run of all time, so many will put on rose colored glasses. That said, he may just be a hateful person. It is what it is. I wouldn't sweat it.

BTW for those curious, he did print and sign his name on my letter. I think I have it here somewhere in my piles of papers.

I have to say, to me the thread title is hyperbole.

What I read in Ditko's letter comes across as short, matter of fact, and possibly even some good advice depending on one's mindset. For sure a dash of underlined sarcasm.

Could it have been filled wth more pleasantries? Could he have been more accommodating? Certainly. But from where I sit, he was primarily matter of fact, and took time out of his life to let you know the facts as he sees them, even a tad frustrated. Clearly not a sentimental guy, but based one what I would see as chewing someone out, this aint that.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment... One could however see your posting your private/personal conversation with him on mulitiple public places on the net as a type of reprimand of him.

I've seen much more strongly written letters from Ditko. If anything I would say his response to you in comparison was pretty no-nonsense and nothing more. He's definitely let some others have it.

Call me a cynic, but anyone aware enough of Ditko that's read anything about him, knows his stance on the topics in your letter to him, and I would have thought anyone sending him such a letter as yours in this day and age was on a fishing expedition for just such a response from him. But like I said, I'm cynical that way.

You seem 12 years old or a bit special, so...

Steve Ditko is 88. You know he doesn't want your letter on these topics. You're the one being rude by harassing an old man.