• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales Of Suspense #39 pressing questions

9 posts in this topic

Tales Of Suspense #39

One of my favorite books that I own.

Your enlightenment would be very much appreciated.

- There is a clean 3" spine split ( :(:(:( ) on the cover running from the upper left, downward, a bit just past the upper staple. The areas of waviness on the FC and BC are just a bit lighter in person than they appear in the pics. None of these issues affect the interior pages.

- Is the waviness a rare occurrence on a book with these flaws - that the inner pages are not affected?

- I understand the possibility of popping a staple is a chief reason to avoid getting a book pressed, but being that the top staple is already popped because of the spine split, is it still possible to get that waviness pressed out on the FC and BC? This question might try the patience of some of you, but I know very little about pressing and have tons to learn.

- Final question: Would getting that waviness pressed out help the grade it's in?

The waviness has been a longtime thorn. It would never be sold, as it's been with me a very long time and will remain that way. If pressing it isn't possible, I'll have to let that thorn go for good. :D

Thanks, guys!

0006%20150.jpg

0006b%20150.jpg

Tales Of Suspense #39

One of my favorite books that I own.

Your enlightenment would be very much appreciated.

- There is a clean 3" spine split ( :(:(:( ) on the cover running from the upper left, downward, a bit just past the upper staple. The areas of waviness on the FC and BC are just a bit lighter in person than they appear in the pics. None of these issues affect the interior pages.

- Is the waviness a rare occurrence on a book with these flaws - that the inner pages are not affected?

- I understand the possibility of popping a staple is a chief reason to avoid getting a book pressed, but being that the top staple is already popped because of the spine split, is it still possible to get that waviness pressed out on the FC and BC? This question might try the patience of some of you, but I know very little about pressing and have tons to learn.

- Final question: Would getting that waviness pressed out help the grade it's in?

The waviness has been a longtime thorn. It would never be sold, as it's been with me a very long time and will remain that way. If pressing it isn't possible, I'll have to let that thorn go for good. :D

Beautiful book, thanks for sharing! Almost full quotation marks on the right side of the cover, and plenty of blue under the table :headbang:

1. Covers are often subjected to slight moisture/humidity that doesn't make its way into the interior pages because the cover stops/absorbs it. I've seen a number of books with wavy covers and perfect interior pages. Nothing unusual, imo.

2. Pressing should absolutely help the waviness of that cover. If it's preventing you from enjoying the book fully, I'd go ahead and have it pressed. It should help the grade, should you choose to get it graded.

Press it and get a Stan Lee SS sig and sell it.

For the sake of all things holy, please do not turn this into another comic with "STAN LEE WAS HERE" on the cover.

But do press it.

How fragile is the spine? The 3" spine split might be an indicator that the entire spine is ready to split. A press of a comic with a fragile spine is a quick way to get a complete spine split.

However, this comic would look fantastic with a careful press. Maybe talk to the presser first to offer up your concerns.

Properly hydrating this book as well as the handling needed in order to properly dry clean it could cause the spine to worsen, or completely split. A picture of the spine would be helpful in determining how fragile t really is.

^ I could see artist sig on original art.

But with comics I don't buy anything with writing unless it's LG - sigs hold no value and often negative appeal - even artist sigs offer almost no value to me, and I'll only consider if sig is unobtrusive. Except in the rare case (like Frazetta maybe).