• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Cool cover! thumbsup2.gif It has a Frazetta style to it.

Totally agree, cool and Frazetta-esque. Also interesting how they make the cover look like an inside panel. The mores I sees these Airboy covers, the mores I likes them! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll go on posting them then but have to warn you that cover was the best of the batch and some of the other are rather humhumm...

I DO like this one with a cavalry charge in India as that kind of romantic action episode has always appealed to me. I love reading about the Great Game.

823383-AirboyJanuary1951s.jpg

823383-AirboyJanuary1951s.jpg.c078820da990e10afafd3d8d1fba60ec.jpg

Great art inside those Airboy's as well. Hillman's a pretty under-appreciated publisher IMO.

Not to divert us from the Airboy's, but I thought I'd add images of two recent acquisitions to the thread:

bdw_52.jpg

bdw_53.jpg

Very pleased with these two, esp the condition considering the rock bottom price I paid.

Who did the cover to the Black Diamond 52? It almost looks like Krigstien.

The GCD credits it to Bill Walton. Great cover, esp with the "full bleed" look (no banner behind the logo) Reflects that this was one of the "3D effect issues".

I agree those are nice covers for the Black Diamond Western run. Actually I might like the 53 better.

Walton was working at Atlas also during that time period from Spring 1952 all the way to late 1956. Matter of fact I received Amazing Detective Cases 11 (March 1952) yesterday with some of his work. Let me pull up an interior page by him from Astonishing 11 I put up earlier (he was quite busy since he also has a story in Adventures into Terror 8 (Feb 52) and Adventures into Weird Worlds (March 52) but I don't own those yet.

Oopps apparently I didn't scan it then. I'll get to it some time soon.

In the meantime, let me throw up another AirBoy which definitely (sp?) this Atomic theme:

824590-AirboyApril1951s.jpg

And to balance the AirBOY, I'll put up a CowGIRL Romances. Reason? Because here's another one of those 50 Ore books which we still haven't figured what they are frustrated.gif And I got this yesterday from another dealer from whom I received the ones I already have.

824590-CowgirlRomances8s.jpg

824590-CowgirlRomances8s.jpg.8a366989aa9956523f9c7e71f8c787bd.jpg

So, unasked for, here are two pages from Bill Walton.

From The Freak in Astonishing 11:

824954-Astonishing11WaltonStoryPages.jpg

and from Amazing Detective 11:

824954-AmazingDetective11Story5Pages.jpg

What a difference from the BDW cover! Any one's comments?

824954-AmazingDetective11Story5Pages.jpg.74771b12164e42f1835e96ae96181175.jpg

I can see the similarities but the cover looks much more polished.

Also like the Cowgirl Romances cover - what would you call that - a taillights cover?

Also like the Cowgirl Romances cover - what would you call that - a taillights cover?

sign-funnypost.gif Butt seriously, sounds like an interesting new genre to be explored. Quick, start a taillights cover thread!

No taillights this time but another (newly arrived) Airboy from December 1952 -

832933-AirBoyDecember52s.jpg

Interesting (somewhat) in that it reminded immediately of this Blackhawk cover that turned out to be only a few months old by the time the Airboy cover was published as the Blackhawk has a September 1952 cover date 893scratchchin-thumb.gif [blackhawk scan, courtesy of the GCD]

344_4_056.jpg

832933-AirBoyDecember52s.jpg.4f645ca5fefaa7b10ddfc6d4e7142bf5.jpg

And to balance the AirBOY, I'll put up a CowGIRL Romances. Reason? Because here's another one of those 50 Ore books which we still haven't figured what they are frustrated.gif And I got this yesterday from another dealer from whom I received the ones I already have.

824590-CowgirlRomances8s.jpg

This might just get things even more puzzling. That marking is actually 50 Øre Øre - more info

It seems to be a price marking in Norwegian or Danish currency 893whatthe.gif

Take a look at this book hkp posted a long time ago. It even makes sense pricewise

833029-aa513.jpg

833029-aa513.jpg.7a049e74c16001a905367208baaff68e.jpg

Thanks for confirming our long suspiscion but I can only wonder where / how these have travelled. I have at least another one with the stamp in a prominent place: Tonto - Neat cover too btw.

833506-Tontos.jpg

833506-Tontos.jpg.21d5540337242332a56e64781e78e38b.jpg

Scrooge,

Back in '87 when I lived in Denmark, I bought a pile of several hundred late 1940s/early 50s midgrade US comics with that exact stamp on them. I paid something like $90 for the bunch (which actually seemed like a bad deal at the time). The seller was from the island of Fyn, but I have no idea how he acquired them. I still have all of the books stored away in Denmark (except for a handful of Westerns that I sold on eBay for a few hundred dollars) but unfortunately have no easy way to scan them.

838791-AtomicAttack5.jpg

838791-AtomicAttack5.jpg.6834aa78ac9efdf2cb581d9c5c8c6fff.jpg

Edited by adamstrange