• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,399 posts in this topic

I'll probably be waiting a while anyway - as it's the kind of book I buy when i stumble across it without actually seeking them out - but when I get back into buying on a regular basis I'll be looking for lower priced Atom Age books that I enjoy reading. In the past I was more cover oriented, and still have a soft spot for what I consider "classic " covers, but finding books I enjoy reading for $10-$50 is what appeals to me the most these days. Fortunately I enjoy esoteric books more than super-hero titles, so there is alot out there.

Here's my newly acquired copy of the Eiffel Tower Airboy cover - OK copy despite the heavy spine roll and the fugly color printing on the left but good for my purpose -

1134762-AirboyV5N9.jpg

It has a nice Mike Roy / Jon Belfi Heap story and also this, whom we should call - "Bad Day at Black Rock for Black Cat" 893whatthe.gif

1134762-AirboyV5N9WC1.jpg

It gets worse on the next page crazy.gif

1134762-AirboyV5N9WC2.jpg

1134762-AirboyV5N9WC2.jpg.da6ad9097cca763210ce8d3eb0931b3a.jpg

Here's my newly acquired copy of the Eiffel Tower Airboy cover - OK copy despite the heavy spine roll and the fugly color printing on the left but good for my purpose -

1134762-AirboyV5N9.jpg

It has a nice Mike Roy / Jon Belfi Heap story and also this, whom we should call - "Bad Day at Black Rock for Black Cat" 893whatthe.gif

1134762-AirboyV5N9WC1.jpg

It gets worse on the next page crazy.gif

1134762-AirboyV5N9WC2.jpg

That's quite a beautiful cover for what is supposed to be a scene of horror.

893whatthe.gif Talk about cruelty to animals! Any chance the writer was a cat-hater, because the guy is certainly dishing it out to the head of the pack!

893whatthe.gif Talk about cruelty to animals! Any chance the writer was a cat-hater, because the guy is certainly dishing it out to the head of the pack!

Well, after all Kitty is the "head of a pack of killer-cats" yeahok.gif

Still seemed a little gratuitous to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Beyond gratuitous...

Beyond gratuitous...

Hence the yeahok.gif, agreeing with you that that sequence is screwy.gif

Killer cats! foreheadslap.gif No wonder this title never took off!

I noticed that all the word balloons seem to have been typeset rather than hand written. Or they had a letterer who could reproduce machine-like writing. Was this typical for books from this era?

Beyond gratuitous...

Hence the yeahok.gif, agreeing with you that that sequence is screwy.gif

Sorry. I didn't interpret the graemlin correctly.

Actually, as a cat hater I enjoyed it. yay.gif

Ooops! Did I just post that out loud? crazy.gif

From the Western Thread in the General forum.

AllStarWest65.jpg

Then an obscure book - Toby printing some Barney Google stories but as always in GA and AA books, there might be a nugget hidden, in our case, it's another Kurtzman zany Pot Shot Pete story -

1189308-BarneyGoogleandSnuffySmith4s.jpg

KMan story -

1189308-BGSM4PSP1s.jpg

1189308-BGSM4PSP1s.jpg.be3678d868ccf3202b7d0cb200c47a57.jpg

I've read a reprint of the Kurtzman story but it's nice to see the original comic where it was published. Definitely not where you would expect it to be.

Just to prove that I have beaters in my collection, here's a book I purchased as part of a deal with a really nice MH.

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

Very nice beater there. Those Romantic Marriages painted covers are one of my favorites in the Romance genres rather than the line-drawn covers on most other series. The one you posted looks so rich and warm. A very attractive image.

Here's my copy of # 11 which nicely captures another important and often fantasized about moment in the comic's target audience -

1193998-RomanticMarriage11.jpg

Scrooge, hopelessly and endlessly romantic.

1193998-RomanticMarriage11.jpg.b3c4f8d9abc5c05643863ec0854110a1.jpg

Just to prove that I have beaters in my collection, here's a book I purchased as part of a deal with a really nice MH.

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

Beater.

HHHHAAAWWW!

I would have put that cover up as proof that I have some higher grade books in my collection.

Ziff-Davis had some great covers.

Jack

Here's my copy of # 11 which nicely captures another important and often fantasized about moment in the comic's target audience -

1193998-RomanticMarriage11.jpg

You mean the "Substitute Wife" part, right, Scrooge?

Do you know who painted the covers?

Jack

(it certainly qualifies as "often fantasized")

I'm pretty certain both are painted by Allan Anderson. There was an article in Illustration with many examples of his work for Ziff Davis.

As for the reason I got my issue, it was because of the beautiful colors/composition, but also the tagline "Charge-account Wife."