• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,399 posts in this topic

We're in season for Baseball -

1269728-TrueSportPicturev3-10.jpg

Nice cover!

Powell? Did he draw any of the stories?

Nice cover!

Yes Powell. It's signed at bottom right. He did some work in it, including the cover story. After that, it's an ecclectic mix of short sport stories / bios and even some football play diagrams.

Nice cover!

Yes Powell. It's signed at bottom right. He did some work in it, including the cover story. After that, it's an ecclectic mix of short sport stories / bios and even some football play diagrams.

Looks like I can "see" better than I can read. blush.gif

We had that one a year or two ago. As I recall, it's not as cross-genre as it seems.

Is my recollection correct? A pretty tepid cover story?

Marc

Yeah, the interiors are nothing to get excited about. I liked that cover because in a way it has a BA horror sensitivity to it, well before its time.

Powell was warming up for some of the better Shadow covers also for S&S in the following years such as these 4, including probably one of the earliest (?) Atomic Bomb cover. (All scans from the GCD)

1270846-ShadowComicsAugust1947.jpg

1270846-ShadowNov1947.jpg

1270846-ShadowFeb1948.jpg

1270846-ShadowJune1948.jpg

1270846-ShadowJune1948.jpg.c08cc609eac18df53e40575c2ba70c39.jpg

bumpit.gif

It's been a while since I added any Airboys to my collection. I received this one today in perfect BTH condition. I'd been wanting this one for a while because I feel it's one of the best Zolne covers of the run. The body position of brute seems spot on to me plus the scene has the perfect atmosphere.

1398967-Airboy-April1949s.jpg

1398967-Airboy-V2N4.jpg.add8611c37351e6b7717ef439980cd62.jpg

bumpit.gif

It's been a while since I added any Airboys to my collection. I received this one today in perfect BTH condition. I'd been wanting this one for a while because I feel it's one of the best Zolne covers of the run. The body position of brute seems spot on to me plus the scene has the perfect atmosphere.

1398967-Airboy-April1949s.jpg

I hadn't noticed this cover, but I really like it for the reasons you gave. Very Tuska-ish in the ability to depict the strength of the brute.

Just to prove that I have beaters in my collection, here's a book I purchased as part of a deal with a really nice MH.

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

AS,

I don't know how up to date you're with your Illustration reading but this illustration from Jon Whitcomb in # 16 sure brought flashes of that wonderful Romantic Marriage # 8 cover you posted a while ago -

1400271-Illustration16-JonWhitcomb.jpg

Here's another Whitcomb illo but with no date -

1400271-Illustration16-JonWhitcomb-2.jpg

1400271-Illustration16-JonWhitcomb-2.jpg.bbdd4691c81fb8195fe86111e56c3eee.jpg

AS,

I don't know how up to date you're with your Illustration reading but this illustration from Jon Whitcomb in # 16 sure brought flashes of that wonderful Romantic Marriage # 8 cover you posted a while ago -

1400271-Illustration16-JonWhitcomb.jpg

Here's another Whitcomb illo but with no date -

That's an absolutely lovely illustration, Scrooge! thumbsup2.gif

Scrooge - thanks so much for posting that story - it had more the feel of a newspaper adventure strip of the era - like Steve Canyon or Johnny Hazard - than it did a comic book! Both story and art were superior to most of what was published in the GA.

I've read the Valkeryie stories before, and I think I'll keep an eye out for later Airboys on ebay, the prices are usually pretty good IIRC.

Scrooge - thanks so much for posting that story - it had more the feel of a newspaper adventure strip of the era - like Steve Canyon or Johnny Hazard - than it did a comic book! Both story and art were superior to most of what was published in the GA.

I've read the Valkeryie stories before, and I think I'll keep an eye out for later Airboys on ebay, the prices are usually pretty good IIRC.

To me that job is more Caniff than Caniff. Notice Kida's use of chiaroscuro (esp. in the nightclub's background) and the way that he establishes in most panels three levels in the picture (typical of Caniff's Terry work). The ambiance and the decor is reminiscent of early Terry. Notice on the splash panel to the story, that on the foreground, it's got to be Kida sneaking in Connie with his bowler hat. A nice wink to the knowing audience.

I love sharing this kind of jobs thumbsup2.gif to prove that some of these guys worked too much for what they were paid. And you haven't seen the Infantino / Starr Heap story in this book yet!