• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,403 posts in this topic

This one's for Jack - High pressure Mercury stream, Gravium and Lead casing, but especially that high pressure Mercury stream has me 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Source: Adventure into Mystery # 6 from March 1957 -

HHHAAAWWW!

Wonderful.

Should we call it potatium?

No, too hard to remember.

Turkium?

No, the vegetarians might get upset.

Gravium?

Yeh, that's the ticket!

And I'm a little worried about that technician.

Straight to the want list.

Thanks,

Jack

"five meeee-lion dollars!"

AdventureIntoMystery6-SecretoftheGl.jpg

Guilty as charged! grin.gif

And that's still a nice book. How long is the origin story?

bumpit.gif Trying to keep our one Atom Age thread going - January has been my Fox & the Crow month. First, posted elsewhere I got the Comic Cavalcade I needed -

1598857-ComicCavalcade49s.jpg

and today I received the "perfect" Fox & the Crow copy for my needs -

1598857-FoxandtheCrow2s.jpg

1598857-FoxandtheCrow2s.jpg.0751a70d4a46399a7aa650ce6a134170.jpg

As per Jack's request, here's a peek inside this book -

1600282-SpaceDetective3s.jpg

The major villain in this book, the one portrayed on the cover, is not a giant but is named the Chameleon hence his strange portrayal. He is the villain for the first 3 stories in this book as he manages to escape twice at the end of the first 2 stories, à la Iron Jaw in Boy Comics.

Inside front cover -

1600282-SpaceDetective3IFCs.jpg

Story 1 Page -

1600282-SpaceDetective3Story1Pages.jpg

Story 2 Splash -

1600282-SpaceDetective3Story2s.jpg

1600282-SpaceDetective3Story2s.jpg.8ce2eb3b47a47bdb28ddface0c10415c.jpg

sa21.jpg

This was the first cover Murphy drew for DC -- though not his first published. There's a looseness and precision to the way that the monster is drawn that, to me, represents the very best of his work.

sa21.jpg

This was the first cover Murphy drew for DC -- though not his first published. There's a looseness and precision to the way that the monster is drawn that, to me, represents the very best of his work.

Loose precision? Looks like the monster is wearing a loose sweater on his arms, but he has been going to the gym regularly. What a cool cover, I love it!

sa21.jpg

Loose precision? Looks like the monster is wearing a loose sweater on his arms, but he has been going to the gym regularly. What a cool cover, I love it!

I agree that the monster is a weird mix of floppy skin on the arms and tight abs but I was referring to the drawing style. Look at how "stiff" the figures of the man and woman are.

Thanks Michael! There's more! Fortunately there doesn't appear to be a whole lotta love for Tarzan! yay.gif

One thing that's struck me as very interesting about these covers is there seem to be just as many covers of Tarzan just hanging out with his animal buddies as action scenes. Very different from the all-action mentality of later years.

17013012019o.jpg

17013012001o.jpg

Why do Batman and Robin look so happy while they are moments away from being impaled by a dozen spikes? confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the cover to tec 187 has an error - it shows Two-Face's bad side on his right, when it should be his left. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's an imposter who got it wrong. foreheadslap.gif

As for why Batman & Robin are happy.... they know something Two-Face doesn't. wink.gif

SPOILER ALERT.

Batman weighted the coin so it would land on tails! yay.gif