• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,454 posts in this topic

Man, the response to the Tarzans has been... underwhelming. frown.gif

Oh well, I'll post one last Atomic Age copy that I just picked up and post a great Tarzan cover from 1959 over in the SA 10 cent thread.

17013012005o.jpg

Man, the response to the Tarzans has been... underwhelming. frown.gif

Oh well, I'll post one last Atomic Age copy that I just picked up and post a great Tarzan cover from 1959 over in the SA 10 cent thread.

17013012005o.jpg

We've been a loquacious lot lately and so it's easy to miss even something as nice as your Tarzans. Which are, like most every book you collect, quite superb! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Michael! There's more! Fortunately there doesn't appear to be a whole lotta love for Tarzan! yay.gif

One thing that's struck me as very interesting about these covers is there seem to be just as many covers of Tarzan just hanging out with his animal buddies as action scenes. Very different from the all-action mentality of later years.

17013012019o.jpg

17013012001o.jpg

Okay, Tarzan has nipples on the cover, but bronze age Marvels like Conan and silver DC's had no nipples..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You sure are good at finding these!

"Another radium element" -- odd phrase. I wonder whether the writer meant "another radioactive element". Any clues in the rest of the story?

Flame #4 -- I don't think I could count of finding that in a dollar bin. -- lots earlier than March 1952, isn't it?

Thanks!

Jack

brilliant[?] scientist and enemy of mankind!

Here's another Radium reference for Jack from Fox's Flame # 4

1607363-DrMortal-Radium-Flame4.jpg

"Another radium element" -- odd phrase. I wonder whether the writer meant "another radioactive element". Any clues in the rest of the story?

Yeah, the turn of the phrase sounded odd to me as well. Not much sense in it but then again ... the "new" radium is by next page used to transform one of the peon into a claw-dwarf screwy.gif Gotta love comic book science! Is that what you teach your undergrads? Today, we'll cover from Chapter 5: Henchmen: To Hire or To Create? the section about Radioactive Claw-Dwarf X-raying insane.gif -

1607510-DrMortal-Claw-Dwarf.jpg

1607510-DrMortal-Claw-Dwarf.jpg.e58dde46a172078b5de1dccca7286304.jpg

Yeah, the turn of the phrase sounded odd to me as well. Not much sense in it but then again ... the "new" radium is by next page used to transform one of the peon into a claw-dwarf screwy.gif

Hmm -- yeah, must not be regular radium. I can never get it do do that darn claw-dwarf transformation.

Gotta love comic book science! Is that what you teach your undergrads?

I try, I try, but they just won't learn it. These kids nowadays...

Today, we'll cover from Chapter 5: Henchmen: To Hire or To Create? the section about Radioactive Claw-Dwarf X-raying insane.gif -

The semester barely started! We're still at the basics like suction cups that you can use to effortlessly climb brick office buildings, eyeglasses that totally change your appearance so that daily co-workers don't recognize you, that sort of thing.

Thanks,

Jack

makes lots of unstable molecules

1607510-DrMortal-Claw-Dwarf.jpg

I guess you wouldn't mind a few more then?

First, here's how I imagine a typical Jack weekend starts -

1608214-KeenDetective21Jack1.jpg

and then this is (obviously) what ensues. A regular Thor on Saturday night, aren't you!

1608214-KeenDetective21Jack2.jpg

(Both from Keen Detective # 21)

1608214-KeenDetective21Jack2.jpg.62bbce0910fdca65d3b5e5f026c92a5d.jpg

Finally from Keen Detective # 24, you've got to thank those editors who didn't want kids to try this at home and spared us by not revealing the Greenite's formula (where's the tongue-in-cheek graemlin?) -

1608217-KeenDetective24Greenite.jpg

First appearance of Jack Selegue!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

There's more than one complaint that I've heard about Doug Wildey relying heavily on photos so I tend to believe it. But I think this cover is an excellent example of an illustrator (Wildey) using a photo and making it into something quite a bit better.

AtomAgeCombat4front.jpg

I think it's an amazing cover. Just look at the detail on the cannon. Wildey put a lot of work into that illustration.

I'm with you on this one -- it's not just the detail it's also the richness of the blacks. I can't think of any war cover quite like it.

I guess you wouldn't mind a few more then?

First, here's how I imagine a typical Jack weekend starts -

AWP!! OK, where'd you hid the mini-cam?

1608214-KeenDetective21Jack1.jpg

and then this is (obviously) what ensues. A regular Thor on Saturday night, aren't you!

Usually even Thorer on Thunday morning.

1608214-KeenDetective21Jack2.jpg

(Both from Keen Detective # 21)

Wow. Great stuff. Thanks again.

Jack

Here's a run of the mill Magnesium reference from Keen Detective 21 -

Keen Detective 21 is hardly run-of-the-mill! And it sure is an element bonanza! Any idea who wrote all these element-containing stories?

But I'm baffled. The river of molten metal is supposed to be magnesium melted by the focused arc light -- and it didn't ignite?? Bizarre.

Thanks,

Jack

1608216-KeenDetective21MagnesiumFuse.jpg