• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,405 posts in this topic

:bump:

Got another Standard Romance in the mail. I'm one away from completing the Standard I need missing only Supermouse -

41973-NewRomances10.jpg

In it, here's this 2 page spread about the Taj Mahal. It's nice to see they included some interesting historical facts about the context in which this monument was built -

41974-NewRomances10Taj1.jpg

41975-NewRomances10Taj2.jpg

Rob_Allan reminded me that it's always a good time to post a Western.

KidTexas1.jpg

KidColt69.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Copied from the Silver forum since 1952-53 is certainly before anyone's definition of Silver Age, except for a few passionate Captain Comet fans.

I posted Secret Hearts 13, Dec 1952-Jan 1953.

42279-sh.jpg

and was curious who did the artwork, especially the ornate inks on "Unlucky in Love!"

42291-sh2.jpg

Probably there are more 1952 DC art-spotters reading this group than Silver. Any ideas?

Jack

Secret Hearts 13, Dec 1952-Jan 1953.

... curious who did the artwork, especially the ornate inks on "Unlucky in Love!"

42291-sh2.jpg

Probably there are more 1952 DC art-spotters reading this group than Silver. Any ideas?

I have an off-list vote for Joe Giella, which seems like a very good guess.

Whose pencils? "DC early 50s house style" = early Infantino??

Jack

Mike Sekowsky?

He started working for DC in 1952.

I don't think it's Sekowsky. Here's some Sekowsky from the same vintage. Unless the inker really buried Sekowsky features, I don't see the same artist? Wish DocV was still lurking to confirm / infirm.

42298-LoveAdventures9Story1s.jpg.2fd8ae8561831e526d9f63744798321c.jpg

42299-LoveAdventures9Story1Pages.jpg.f51278e9642ea553621ba660024737ad.jpg

Mike Sekowsky?

On pencils, you mean?

Who's Who, which is certainly not infallible, offers for pencils in 1952 on Secret Hearts: Sachs, Drucker, Infantino, Hasen, Oksner. Greene's not out of the question, listed as 1953. Giella, Giacoia and Sachs probably on inks (no surprise there).

Supposedly Sekowsky didn't work on Secret Hearts until 1958.

Jack

Mike Sekowsky?

On pencils, you mean?

Who's Who, which is certainly not infallible, offers for pencils in 1952 on Secret Hearts: Sachs, Drucker, Infantino, Hasen, Oksner. Greene's not out of the question, listed as 1953. Giella, Giacoia and Sachs probably on inks (no surprise there).

Jack

Doesn't this look like the same team on this story (not the cover) in Secret Hearts # 8? -

42300-SecretHearts8s.jpg.3954f273889d547738c312182048b550.jpg

42301-SecretHearts8Story2s.jpg.e89f278fe4dd523b07cbb693f4f50073.jpg

Mike Sekowsky?

On pencils, you mean?

Doesn't this look like the same team on this story (not the cover) in Secret Hearts # 8? -

Actually, the inks don't seem fussy enough on the hair in the SH8 story, but I'm no expert.

There's a secondary character on another page of the SH13 story that might give it away to you better spotters. I'll scan it later.

Jack

There's a secondary character on another page of the SH13 story that might give it away to you better spotters. I'll scan it later.

Here's the splash page.

The guy up front in blue with the sort of boxer's face is the one I mean.

You might ask yourself what kind of business, besides funny, the Manley Company (AWP!) is involved in to have Peggy posing in their office in an evening gown. Her pose might be a giveaway too.

Jack

42302-sh3.jpg

Mike Sekowsky?

On pencils, you mean?

Jack

This should be Infantino pencils.

Mike Sekowsky?

On pencils, you mean?

Jack

This should be Infantino pencils.

You mean that both stories (SH 8 and 13) are by Infantino/Giella?

Thanks,

Jack

I'm pretty certain the 8 is Infantino. I was trying to get the quote to include cover/page but obviously wasn't successful.

The 13 is likely Infantino based on the way the gal's dress drapes around her hips and legs.

I'm pretty certain the 8 is Infantino. I was trying to get the quote to include cover/page but obviously wasn't successful.

The 13 is likely Infantino based on the way the gal's dress drapes around her hips and legs.

I'm glad you tend to concur it's the same artist with maybe different inkers. There are too many similarities in the face not to be the same guy in my opinion.

I'm glad you tend to concur it's the same artist with maybe different inkers. There are too many similarities in the face not to be the same guy in my opinion.

If there were more pages to look at we could get a greater degree of confidence. Infantino was not as stylized and capable as he was later, and it's always possible for an inker to do a job as a penciller and make it look like one of the artists that he inks.

If there were more pages to look at we could get a greater degree of confidence. Infantino was not as stylized and capable as he was later, and it's always possible for an inker to do a job as a penciller and make it look like one of the artists that he inks.

An off-list correspondent, who's a very good spotter, suggested that Giella may have done both pencils and inks on the story from #13. Who's Who does show him doing occasional pencils, but rarely at DC except for a much later stint on Young Love.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing -- not a good enough spotter -- but it's interesting that adamstrange suggests the same thing.

Jack

Here's an interesting cross-genre offering - Western Crime Busters # 9. All in all a tough book by Trojan. It seems those were used once then thrown out ...

42555-WesternCrimeBusters9s.jpg

The issue has 3 Wally Wood stories as a bonus. Here are 2 pages. If in doubt from the first one, the second one is pure Wood whimsy (sp?). Enjoy!

42556-WesternCrimeBusters9Story1Pages.jpg.c1b19809d561277df2941642aad83e16.jpg

42557-WesternCrimeBusters9Story3s.jpg.c661064ee9f74eceb893c6229693370f.jpg

All in all a tough book by Trojan. It seems those were used once then thrown out ...

lol

Thanks for posting those early Wood pages. I love the vertical panel on the first page showing the horse and rider falling down through the canyon.