• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,408 posts in this topic

Been considering getting a copy for a while but never focused on it, thanks to Bobpf for this copy -

I didn't think you were a "cover" collector -- that's certainly one of Cole's best 50s covers. I have a poster size version on the wall opposite my computer desk.

Been considering getting a copy for a while but never focused on it, thanks to Bobpf for this copy -

I didn't think you were a "cover" collector -- that's certainly one of Cole's best 50s covers. I have a poster size version on the wall opposite my computer desk.

:sorry: I caved in ... be a long time before I become a grade collector though :D

And, yes, for those who wonder, the interiors to Thrilling Crime Cases # 49 are mess.

I balanced that with this craptacular copy of Girl Confessions # 35 (final issue) with interiors by Colletta, Pike and the (uncommon Romance) Maneely job ;)

94098.jpg.ffb38fc324f0625cc4eaf58a74ea152a.jpg

I balanced that with this craptacular copy of Girl Confessions # 35 (final issue) with interiors by Colletta, Pike and the (uncommon Romance) Maneely job
Sounds fun. You've redeemed my faith in you! (thumbs u

Why the regret on the first sale? Does it contain good stories?

Why the regret on the first sale? Does it contain good stories?

Not particularly so. It's the typical MM fare with one story with a crazy heist plot and then another where Mitzi gets into trouble. I like this comic because the cover is so striking. :/

It is unusual compared to other MM covers. It's also interesting b/c it's dated Dec. 1953. So, it's on that cusp of going into 1954 when the comic book witch-hunt intensified leading into the Code appearing in early 1955. It shows how far and wide the atmosphere of the comic of the time reached.

It's interesting to see how tamer covers got even before the official institution of the Code and late 1954 books even at Atlas pulled waaaaay back in their depiction of Horror.

Thanks for the response. I do like the cover on it!

Thanks. Always reminds me of the Cameron Witches Tales (?) cover.

These are probably floating online somewhere but I just scanned them to show that even during the Atom Age, Tarzan was still running strongly around the never-ending African jungle.

In 1952, Bob Lubbers was tackling the dailies -

94166.jpg.81e791a779ba5cd4299da1fedebe3a63.jpg

94167.jpg.2f3e94744c658cea365e52c4cbc686cb.jpg

Atom Age DC...

strangeadventures41.jpg

I've never seen this one! It's got it all: a T-Rex, a time machine with lots of cool gadgets, and a beautiful Anderson girl.

And what appears to be a prototype for Adam Strange`s costume.

Almost impossible to post after Mr. Bedrock, esp. with the copy I'm about to post :(

Thanks to 143ksk for letting me have his undercopy of this one -

Very cool cover! Who`s the artist?

mysteryinspace17.jpg

One of my favorite MIS covers. It almost looks like a partial washtone.

Prototype for the cover of JLA #19?

Definitely. DC recycled a number of covers/concepts as they figured their audience turned over in a 5- 7 year span.

More:

Mystery in Space 18 http://www.comics.org/issue/11091/cover/4/?style=default

JLA http://www.comics.org/issue/17865/cover/4/?style=default

Sensation 109 http://www.comics.org/issue/131128/cover/4/?style=default

JLA 10 http://www.comics.org/issue/16815/cover/4/?style=default

Atom Age DC...

strangeadventures41.jpg

I've never seen this one! It's got it all: a T-Rex, a time machine with lots of cool gadgets, and a beautiful Anderson girl.

And what appears to be a prototype for Adam Strange`s costume.

Lars of Mars, Adam Strange and Captain Comet were all somewhat derivative of Buck Rogers.