• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15: Help in determining if this book is restored or not.

11 posts in this topic

Extremely hard to tell from pics. A couple things jump out at me (but don't take it as gospel).

1. Top Left and Bottom Left corners especially look way too sharp (suggesting trim).

2. Something about that cover bugs me. Either it was cleaned w/solvents or it is a repro cover made to look old. Front cover looks like the book was unread. Back cover shows some handling/reading wear. And the PQ of the interior just doesn't seem to fit w/the cover.

Get a pro to look at in hand.

Your second photo shows one of those acid free micro chamber papers sticking out the bottom. To me that means it was graded and cracked out of the slab. Ask the seller what company graded it and if it was unrestored.

AF15s should not be cracked out of the slab. Something might be screwy with this one. Be careful.

Pricing will tell a lot. IF this book is un restored it is worth a boat load of $$$. Easily in the $45K+ area pretty easily. I would try and find a local dealer/collector with lot's of experience. Let them go over the book. If in there opinion the book is not restored send it in for a restoration check. I would ask for a 100% money back guarantee if the book is restored. If they wont do that it would give me cause for some grave concern that the book is indeed restored.

Top staple area in the centerfold pic looks manipulated to me, the paper indentation around the staple does not look natural. That would suggest the book has been apart. I also agree with the other comments that the top and bottom of the book may have been trimmed. I would want a proffessional opinion of the book "in hand" before laying out the kind of moolah that book would command.

2nd to last picture showing the interior front cover looks off with the white uneven edges

That abrupt transition from tan to white is unnatural.

Staples as mentioned earlier look manipulated.

Back cover has several horizontal tears at spine and front cover looks unworn

I would be very skeptical.

Thank you guys for your assistance. I took a pass on this book because of all of the feedback that I have been given. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to look at it and provide feedback.

I am still hunting for a nice mid grade 4.0 min or higher but unrestored.