• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Tales from the Crypt

8 posts in this topic

The staples seem a little east of the actual center fold. Then, someone does the ole fold the cover completely around/behind and the stress was probably a slow 15 minute rip, fiber by fiber until only two tendrils of paper remain pinched under both staples. So, is it a detached cover, I'm trying to ask in a completely subjective and impartial way? Both staples popped sounds..... Balloony? How do I submit this anonymously?

I took another look at the OPG grade definitions as they pertain to staples. Good allows for "significant wear and may even be detached". At VG it morphs to "the cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached". It further notes "cf may be loose or detached at one staple".

Now when Fine is examined, there is some interesting revelations regarding staples. "Any staple can be replaced on books up to fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from very fine to near mint. Mint books must have original staples."

This seems to throw a whole new permissiveness on Frankenstein books. Or jogging a staple , one way or another enough to grab? Prior to reading this verbiage, I thought that the forensic staple police and their electron microscopes could detect the metal deformation/fatigue of any attempted relocation efforts! But they do put their foot down! Right there in Fine, proclaiming mint (10.0) books MUST have original staples!

So that's what's going on with all those fair and poor books that are being scooped up for pennies on the dollar! They're harvesting the staples, probably targeting those moist damp states where oxidation runs rampant!

I'd give it a 3.0,3.5. I'm glad Bob is giving it a good home!