• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - Fantastic Four #48

15 posts in this topic

Hello - I am hoping to get some additional eyes on this book. There is nothing cut out, the staples are rust free, and everything is attached.

My guess is around 3.5 to 4.0. Pictures in the spoiler tag:

nWIUzlN.jpg

AwyCBg7.jpg

tgs7Hlc.jpg

NFuo4he.jpg

1icXPS7.jpg

There is a small split (about 1 inch) on the spine side bottom corner... here's a better look:

DlIDdDD.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks guys!

Dr. X - I was noticing that as well. The history of the book possibly has me leaning away from it being trimmed. I guess I need a bit of history in regards to trimming- how long has this been practiced? Is this something that came about in the 70's? 80's?

Ah I see... here's where I was going with that:

This book was purchased from a collection that had been in storage since the mid 70's. With that said, I would be the third owner of the book. My thinking was that if trimming was something that wasn't practiced until the 80's or so, then the book was probably not trimmed.

So, that's now void. I took some close up shots of that top edge. It looks like the original wrap of the book kept those top-most design elements close to the edge, and the slight curl over of the top edge could have made it look trimmed in my original shots.

I think you're more of an expert at detecting this than I am... so if you have a moment, please check out these images in the spoiler tag:

K8G7l18.jpg

vhAqLjE.jpg

MqbaJbA.jpg

10tcczn.jpg

vTqGzdY.jpg

If it were trimmed, somebody did a horrible job doing it.

that's my point. I have a top edge trimmed Strange Tales #81 that looks like they butchered it with a pair of scissors.

I don't think that's the case here, as evidenced by looking at the second batch of pictures I posted.

It looks like the alignment of the cover print is a bit lower. If you compare my cover to the CGC example I gave, the shallow alignment of the top is equally offset by the lower alignment of the bottom. Additionally, the top of the cover curls under just a bit (looking at the high res pictures).

Thanks for looking, guys. Glad to get input on the book, and to see my initial inclination wasn't too far off.