• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone getting any good deals from J&S Comics this weekend?

20 posts in this topic

I was going to pick up a couple of their fanzines with Wrightson covers, but they all shot out of my price range. JS is a decent seller, but their stuff always seems to bring an unwarranted premium...like SNE.

to bring an unwarranted premium...like SNE.

Yep....the prices SNE gets never cease to amaze me. It's amazing how much of a premium people are willing to pay for one stop shopping.

I purchased the VF+ copy of Flash 203 with Neal Adams art for $10. Was gonna get the NM copy but a piece lower left corner looked like it was missing so I passed. If I cant see it I aint gonna buy it. Why was those numbers stamped on alot of their comics,for inventory? When multiple issues were offered people were payin more money for the lesser grades without the # stamps. Anyways more for sale tommorrow, good luck everyone!! popcorn.gif

they have a good reputation and I'm pretty sure I've happily bought from them in person at shows (albeit ungraded books), but some of those books given 9.2/9.4 and better grades don't seem so sharp, lots of corner blunting and so on. maybe i'm too strict, i don't know.

I picked up a couple of action comics for $6 and a nice green lantern for $10. Lost out on others though frown.gif Ahh well as casey says, more for sale tonight. Good luck smile.gif

Tried to get some Detectives but they went for too much in my opinion. Like at premium as someone said before. I have purchased from them before and think their grading is a hit or miss. Out of like a dozen books 2 were no where near nm. More like fine. So when I bid I keep that in mine and refuse to give them a premium. When I tried to return them they would never answer my emails. Oh well thats life. But they do have a great selection time and time again.

got outbid on almost everything -- last minute snipes mainly. people paying (9.2) guide or more (or a little less) for raw books described as 9.4s.... I just have a tough time doing that, it gives me no margin for error (and not much upside if it is a 9.4)... i was going to 75-80% of guide for stuff i really wanted (copies described as 9.4 or better), but i feel like anything more than that i'm burned if it's really a 9.0

on some of this early BA stuff, even if it comes back a 9.4, if i pay guide and then $25-$30 to slab, I have my doubts I could get my money back if i ever wanted to sell and I know that I would never be able to get that sort of bidding premium if I sold raw books on ebay

anyway, i landed one 9.4 and paid a pretty hefty price for it (below guide, but less than i'd like!). i'll see what it looks like when i get it.

Just nabbed the Silver Surfer # 4 they graded at 6.0, but my books want be for sale for 20-25 years. I paid less than guide(34th edition) for it, so , add another SS4 to the horde....ah, just love that Rainbow Bridge. Just can't get ENOW of that issue.

ENOW-Asgardian for ENOUGH thumbsup2.gif

on one hand the stuff mostly went for prices i probaby would have paid, but if i continued to bid who knows where they would have landed. the sniping programs could have been set for 50% higher than where they ended.

actually, these high grades probably would have mostly been upgrades and maybe i would have sold my extras.

i don't expect to make a flip on their individual items (most of which i wanted for my semi-permanent collection), at least not short term, but on some of their biggish lots i thought there might be a chance if i chose to until things got jacked up too far.

anyway, 95% of the time i consider the price vs. potential resale just to see if i'm paying too much even if i don't sell more than 2-3% of my collection in any given year. i never know when i will need more cash. families are expensive. living in new york is really expensive.

Tell me about-wife(does'nt work) two daughters. Heck our Homeowners dues just went to $850 a year. However, if I did'nt spend it on comics, I'd s[end it om something else-which most likely I could not liquidate in the forseable future.

for what it's worth, J&S over-grades by at least one grade on everything. therefore the premium you are paying on their auctions is even worse than you think...

I bought one large order from them a while back and haven't bought anything since...

for what it's worth, J&S over-grades by at least one grade on everything. therefore the premium you are paying on their auctions is even worse than you think...

I bought one large order from them a while back and haven't bought anything since...

I agree with the overgrading. I posted some Thor's and Swamp Things I got from him about a month and a half ago. Everything is slightly overgraded. But the books are still nice, and I have to say overall I was satisfied. But it is disappointing when you think you're going to get a 9.4 grade book and it just isn't.

well then, maybe i should be happy i only wound up winning one allegedly NM book and got sniped on many others. it's obscure enough that maybe i don't mind terribly having paid 9.0 guide for it.

i wound up with some others in mid-grade, we'll see how that works out.

the reason I haven't bought from J&S again isn't the over-grading itself. When I look at one of his auctions, I can just subtract one full grade (i.e. 7.0 is really a 6.0) and adjust by maximum bid accordingly. problem is the last few auction I was watching went for close, or even ABOVE guide price of the ADVERTISED grade. given that I know J&S consistently over-grades, I'm not going to pay for the advertised grade.

I'll pay full guide for raw books from Jeff Hinds, Steve Sibra and a few select others, but that's it.