• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Putting cgc books in a bank vault...

36 posts in this topic

That actually sounds pretty expensive as safety deposit boxes of that size are both tough to find and very costly to rent when you are lucky enough to find one that is vacant. :(
What I Was Told Was That I Would Pay $250 per year to have a box at the bank.

I have a safety Deposit box and pay close to the same, I put in some silica packs in it just in case with a couple slabs. I have the box since 2010 and started using silica in 2012 after reading this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1140967

I have yet to see any problems with my comics or any metal object placed inside.

I have two of them.....each is 95 dollars per year...... they have about a 20 slab capacity but will hold possibly 80 raw books. I also keep important papers there so it was an easy decision to make. After 10 years, I notice no rust or PQ deterioration on the books and I've never used anything in the box. From time to time, I'll bring a couple books home and return a couple there.... it's almost like getting a new book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....you do have to provide your own insurance as the bank doesn't cover the contents.

Chase I have a certain account that might make it cheaper but large box was $60 for a year

Yes, but how many slabbed books or books in mylar sleeves can your large box hold?

Especially if you have around 100 books or more to stored away. (shrug)

I have a safety Deposit box and pay close to the same, I put in some silica packs in it just in case with a couple slabs. I have the box since 2010 and started using silica in 2012 after reading this thread:

I have yet to see any problems with my comics or any metal object placed inside.

Although you most likely need them for your personal home safes, I wonder if you actually need the silica gel packs for the safety deposit boxes inside the banks?

I don't use anything in them and I have not noticed any changes in PQ or rusting of the staples after a couple of decades. Probably a good idea anyways, but what's the point of changing now. (shrug)

I like to find out how board members store cgc books in Bank vaults?? Is it possible to damage books if left to long?

I have been using Bank Vaults for both raw and slabs for probably close to 20 years and everything seems fine. I occasionally visit them, swap out a few books, take some pics, etc. I tell my wife I am off for a visit with Peter Parker and she knows what I am talking about. The air quality is probably not optimal but it's still good, no extreme temperature fluctuations. My one concern is a flood so I always make sure my boxes are NOT low to the ground.

I used to have two safe boxes at a local Bank of America. They cost about $400 each per year and each box was big enough to fit two CGC boxes side by side with a small gap in the middle. Basically 60 golden age CGC cases per safe box. I had books in there for 25 years and never had a problem.

I used to have two safe boxes at a local Bank of America. They cost about $400 each per year and each box was big enough to fit two CGC boxes side by side with a small gap in the middle. Basically 60 golden age CGC cases per safe box. I had books in there for 25 years and never had a problem.

Richard;

Did you bother to put a silica gel pack in there or nothing at all?

Although you most likely need them for your personal home safes, I wonder if you actually need the silica gel packs for the safety deposit boxes inside the banks?

I don't use anything in them and I have not noticed any changes in PQ or rusting of the staples after a couple of decades. Probably a good idea anyways, but what's the point of changing now. (shrug)

Being that the bank and Safety Deposit area are temperature controlled it is doubtful that the silica has any real work to do, though it lets me sleep better at night. So I think it is worth it.

Well hope that answers all your questions OP.
It's does!! Thanks everyone for the answers and suggestions! So much knowledge in one place, it's great for a newer young collector like me, you guys should charge by the hour. :whee: