• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Greatest" Muhammad Ali R.I.P.

31 posts in this topic

IMO, his finest hour professionally is in the link above. George Foreman, the heavyweight champion at the time of this fight in Zaire, was 40-0 with 37 KO's. He had just knocked out Ken Norton and Joe Frazier, who had both beaten Ali previously. Both of those knockouts were as violent as you will ever see in the sport. I believe Frazier was knocked down 4 or 5 times before the fight was stopped, which you rarely see in this day and age.

If you are a fan of the sport and have not watched it you may want to consider taking an hour out of your evening and checking it out. Ring magazine awarded it the fight of the year in 1974.

R.I.P to the Champ.

IMO, his finest hour professionally is in the link above. George Foreman, the heavyweight champion at the time of this fight in Zaire, was 40-0 with 37 KO's. He had just knocked out Ken Norton and Joe Frazier, who had both beaten Ali previously. Both of those knockouts were as violent as you will ever see in the sport. I believe Frazier was knocked down 4 or 5 times before the fight was stopped, which you rarely see in this day and age.

If you are a fan of the sport and have not watched it you may want to consider taking an hour out of your evening and checking it out. Ring magazine awarded it the fight of the year in 1974.

R.I.P to the Champ.

If you're a fan of the sport and haven't watched Foreman Ali you're not a fan of the sport :)

I have been a boxing fan my whole life. as a child my father and I would watch old reel to reel film of the classics.

ali was a great fighter. what he did outside the ring was amazing.

I had the pleasure of meeting ali and getting to talk a little boxing with him when he was in town for a card show in clearwater. he definitely had the IT factor.

in my opinion he was the second best heavy weight fighter of all time behind joe louis barrow.

R.I.P to the Champ.

That's cool - we must have been thinking alike as I just shared this fight on Facebook.

Ali's bravery, and unfliching confidence in his ability facing a very scary Foreman in his prime at the Rumble in the Jungle is what I believe cements him as "The Greatest."

I don't think many people of our time realize how big a deal it was for Ali to enter into the ring with Foreman, who as HSC said very well, seemed unbeatable, with many people (including Al's wife at the time) hinting he could probably end not only Ali's boxing career, but his life.

A great loss. He was a true international ambassador of good will. I had the pleasure of seeing him train at Deer Lake in Pa and met him for the last time when I worked at a sporting goods section of a department store in Reading, Pa in the late 1970's. He arrived by himself. He was soft spoken and quite gracious. He was mobbed as soon as people recognized him. Quite a contrast prior to Parkinson's ravages. A personal hero of mine. He will be truly missed.

I have been a boxing fan my whole life. as a child my father and I would watch old reel to reel film of the classics.

ali was a great fighter. what he did outside the ring was amazing.

I had the pleasure of meeting ali and getting to talk a little boxing with him when he was in town for a card show in clearwater. he definitely had the IT factor.

in my opinion he was the second best heavy weight fighter of all time behind joe louis barrow.

I agree, and like you go against popular opinion. I think JL is the greatest heavyweight of all time. I love his style, those blistering fast, powerful combinations. Unfortunately as we know Ali had his boxing license revoked during his prime years, so who knows how much more he could have achieved. RIP to one of the best ever, the most mobile HW I've ever seen and a man who lived a marvellous life despite the illness in his later years. RIP

This is the easily the most incredible thing I have seen posted on the Internet in a long time, and words can't properly express how awesome this made me feel when I saw it.

The story goes that Joe Kubert was originally assigned to do the cover for this book. DC decided Joe Kuberts version was "too lean and somber" so they asked Neal Adams to redraw it. It was Neal's idea to draw in the celebrities and in the final version, DC decided to remove Mick Jagger from Neal's cover illustration, in the front cover lower left corner, and replace him with Don King. Rumour has it that Ali wrote his dialogue in the comic for himself.

Below is Adam Kubert posting the unpublished cover that his Dad, Joe Kubert drew.

Note: the image below links directly to Adam Kubert's Instagram post:

AdamKubert_zpsnrcqpnka.jpg

R.I.P to the Champ.

If you're a fan of the sport and haven't watched Foreman Ali you're not a fan of the sport :)

I saw Ali vs Foreman on ABC Sport TV in my early teen years. Who saw that?