• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: ASM 238, Killing Joke, Captain America 100 -- Grades Revealed

19 posts in this topic

ASM 238 looks to be in the best condition of them all. the only defect i can see barely is a couple tiny spine ticks. id say at least a 9.0 on that one.

Killing Joke- Copy A looks a tiny bit better than copy B. very subtle nip on the right hand corner for front page copy B, but this is nit picking. Id say they are both in the 9.0 range.

Cap A - the rounded out edges on top and bottom left will be taken into consideration. also theres a color breaking spine tick at top left. There some small tick on the right side front cover as well. This one also looks like it has some sun damage as its a bit faded color compared to copy B. F- range?

Cap B - The mangled top left corner will be taken heavily into consideration. A few small color breaking creases on top right corner it looks like. Other than that this one looks really nice. F/VF range.

might want to look into pressing the Cap Americas before grading.

ASM: 8.5-8.0 around where the spider-man is at is that a bit of fading in the black area?

Killing Joke: 9.2-9.0

Killing Joke: 9.0-8.5

Cap 100: 6.0-5.5

Cap 100: 6.0-5.5

very nice books.

Long story short, I subbed the above comics (and others) to MyComicShop for consignment. I had done this before on a smaller, mid-grade lot and did not have any issues.

Here are the grades they assigned the above comics:

ASM #238 - 8.0 VF (was originally marked 7.0 FN/VF)

Killing Joke A - 7.5 VF-

Killing Joke B - 6.0 FN

Captain America #100 - 6.0 FN

Just assuming these grades are accurate, apparently that second copy of the Killing Joke is in the same exact condition as both copies of Captain America #100.

Also note the diagonal line seen in every scan is a defect on the scanner which they have acknowledged.

Long story short, I subbed the above comics (and others) to MyComicShop for consignment. I had done this before on a smaller, mid-grade lot and did not have any issues.

Killing Joke A - 7.5 VF-

Killing Joke B - 6.0 FN

Just assuming these grades are accurate, apparently that second copy of the Killing Joke is in the same exact condition as both copies of Captain America #100.

Also note the diagonal line seen in every scan is a defect on the scanner which they have acknowledged.

Sorry to hear that dude. The grades MCS assigned the books here are a joke and that's the reason I'd never send anything but old, worthless drek to MCS (if raw).

They are great for consigning slabbed books, but if you have keys or high grade books, forget it..

I sent in 6 books recently as a trail, most of which were 9.0-9.2, and they were all assessed by MCS staff as being a 7.0 FN/VF.

The ASM #238 looks 9.4 to me

Nice books, will these be on the July auction?

No, I am having the above books (plus a few more) sent back to me as I do not agree with the grades assigned. They are opinions (as is CGC) and I understand a 0.5-1.0 difference (as on other books), but these are way off.

Killing Joke A - 7.5 VF-

Killing Joke B - 6.0 FN

Sorry to hear that dude. The grades MCS assigned the books here are a joke and that's the reason I'd never send anything but old, worthless drek to MCS (if raw).

They are great for consigning slabbed books, but if you have keys or high grade books, forget it..

I sent in 6 books recently as a trail, most of which were 9.0-9.2, and they were all assessed by MCS staff as being a 7.0 FN/VF.

The ASM #238 looks 9.4 to me

I will still use them, but only for mid-grade stuff. All mid-grade books I have sent them were fine; some books were exactly as I graded them; some were higher than I graded them; some were lower than I graded them -- but all usually within a grade. I have no idea what is going on over there when it comes to books over 8.0.

I am pretty sure when I saw the original grades (and asked them to be re-checked) the second Killing Joke was actually graded higher than a 6.0 and then knocked down further.

MCS is a great option if you're buying raws; everyone always seems to be pleased.

The only one who loses out is the seller/owner of the books.

And you're right, it seems like any grade they assign for a book that's truly over VF/8.0 is a head-scratcher.