• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vintage lunch box's

37 posts in this topic

Anyone collect vintage lunch box's either as another hobby or comic related box's to compliment a comic book collection?

My son and I have gotten into these in the last few months and obviously have a focus on the comic related but cross over into some of the other movie/TV themed ones as well.

Great addition to a comic collection and a lot of fun to hunt for out in the wild in places like antique malls and such.

IMG_20160503_070825592_HDR_zpsjxbuvnwu.jpg

I have a Man from UNCLE box. It was my first lunch box as a kid. I also have a Tin Tin vinyl lunch holder :cool:

I tried collecting lunch boxes at the height of the craze back in the late 1980s/early 1990s, when a guy out of the Boston area (Scott Bruce) was bringing that hobby into the spotlight.

Back then, the Jetsons box was like the Action 1 of lunch boxes, but nowhere near Action 1 pricing (a nice one probably went for around a grand)

It's a nice hobby if you have the space to display. Prices for quality pieces pale in comparison to collecting comics.

Ebay also makes the search a little more convenient to find decent shape items, but as with any collectible, it's still the thrill of the hunt like you mentioned!

Best of luck adding to your collection!

Collecting them now, like a lot of things, is much cheaper. Other than the early ones and high profile ones, most are fairly available at decent prices. The ones that I have cross over to other things I like. I only have maybe a dozen but they are shows or characters I like. If you got the box, you need the thermos as well. These are a little harder to find un-broken. Enjoy the hunt!

Here's a cool Munsters one from 1964. I also have several super hero ones including the 1954 Superman one. Also some '60's TV shows like Star Trek and Man from Uncle.

munsterslunchbox1_zpslyzvn0c9.jpg

munsterslunchbox2_zpsdmpzktew.jpg

munsterslunchbox4_zpsyvn2yg5m.jpg

munsterslunchbox3_zpswvedrj75.jpg

]Looks like you have a few of the "major" pieces in the hobby with that Munsters box and a 1954 Superman which is now considered by most the "holy grail" of the hobby.

Thanks for sharing!

About 10 years ago a local antique collector passed away and his children decided to sell off his pole barns of collections over the last 50 years.

For 2 weeks an auction house rented out a local area and sold all his antiques.

It was amazing to go see. Dealers came from all over the country to this little town in Indiana to see and buy. Days of antique beer signs, little big books, pepsi/coke signs, vintage toys, old hustler and indy nude magazines, and last on the list were lunch boxes.

I bet this guy has 500 lunch boxes all from the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. It was amazing to see they all sold in one day. Each day was a different antique. Maybe some of your were there.