• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comic book movie set you up for life?

27 posts in this topic

When I was 8 I saw Batman (1989) and that movie to this day was still my most influential comic film on a young impressionable mind.

I was just starting to read comics on a regular basis, and Michael Keaton as Batman came in like a perfect storm.

I just remember that summer you couldn't go anywhere without seeing some kind of marketing ploy for the movie. Whether it was trading cards, comics, happy meal Batman toys, or clothes the movie products were everywhere.

So I was just curious what movie and what was your age that you saw that special comic book movie that lead you down this path of pop culture fandom?

Star Wars 'Episode IV', first week of January, 1978. Tied in with my growing interest in comic books, which had started to become quite serious the previous summer, and my lifelong fascination with science-fiction films. So, that was when I was 13 to 14 years old.

I was never particularly convinced by the effects in super-hero films until I saw the first Blade in the late 90s. Decent enough story, preferred its darker tone.

When I was 8 I saw Batman (1989) and that movie to this day was still my most influential comic film on a young impressionable mind.

I was just starting to read comics on a regular basis, and Michael Keaton as Batman came in like a perfect storm.

I just remember that summer you couldn't go anywhere without seeing some kind of marketing ploy for the movie. Whether it was trading cards, comics, happy meal Batman toys, or clothes the movie products were everywhere.

So I was just curious what movie and what was your age that you saw that special comic book movie that lead you down this path of pop culture fandom?

Same for me. Lots of Batman symbols shaved into people's heads back then. :insane:

Superman (1978) - For the first time, a superhero movie was done right. It had good actors (with a few A-listers) , good production, good writing, etc... It totally captured my imagination at age 13 seeing it in the theater. I think this movie did the most for taking supehero movies out of the kid realm and into the adult realm.

However, I will also give Batman (1989) a very honorable mention in this category. Tim Burton's version of Gotham City, the design of the batmobile and Jack Nicholson as Joker were all home run hits. I was married by the time it came out and it was the movie that introduced my wife into the comic world, at least from a movie standpoint.

First superhero movie was Superman in 1978. I was age 9 going on to 10, and this movie had me in real happy mood because I had read the comic books about Superman before that for 4 years. To see Reeve play the role nearly as exact as in comics was the best.

Actually, I had seen some older movies as reruns on TV before that. Superman was that one in B/W series. Some other TV series like Hulk, Wonder Woman and such.

But that movie in 1978 topped all out. :cloud9:

Bat Summer of 89 was a big deal...and being at the Premiere was the top priority of the summer. I was 17 and already working at a comic store/used book store. I was already a "lifer".

Now what superhero movie affected me the most? As stupid as it sounds...Civil War. I already knew going in that I loved the MCU. These characters were already engrained in my consciousness but it wasn't until the Thursday night opening that I realised they were actually a part of my being. I mean I went to the early show, was so blown away that I turned around after the movie was over and bought a ticket for the next show, something I have never done before.

Then this past weekend in Philly, I did another thing I have never done in my life...I went to a comic book panel at the show. It wasn't just any panel, it was a panel with Chris Evans, Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie. I've been to hundreds of shows in my life and by Saturday I've pretty much done all my buying and wake up around noon on Saturday after usually closing up the bar. So I wake up for eight o clock (a time I don't even wake up during a normal work week) and get in line, by myself, just to be within 100 feet of the "Avengers" for a whole 45 minutes. As an aside after the panel was over at 10:45 I went back to my hotel room and went for a 4 and a half hour "nap".

Anyways Civil War has changed what I collect and how I collect. Like I've mentioned before previously I had no idea that a movie could still affect me the way that the SW trilogy affected me when I was a child but I'm glad it can.

Jim (age 44)

Star Wars IV: A New Hope in 1981. 6 years old. At the Regal cinema in Winter Haven FL. Remember my mom taking me and my brother who was only 4. He got antsy after 20 minutes and she took him out into the lobby so he could run around and I sat there alone and watched the rest of the movie. That made me an Fan with a capital F, and that excitement later translated to comics...

Batman (1989) is what got me back into comic books. Then I dropped out for a few years. The Crow (1994) made me miss comic book collecting. But when I got done watching Hellboy (2004) at a friend's house years after its release and found out it was based on a comic book, I was back in again and have been ever since.