• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much Distributor overspray is too much?

17 posts in this topic

I have always had a problem with the look of overspray and have seen many posts that indicate that over street does not consider it a defect. That being said how much does it affect the value of a book in a given grade? For example if you have a book in CGC 8.5 with no overspray and one with light edge over spray how much price difference would there be? I Know its hard to determine this as everyones opinion and preferences are different but I just wanted to get an idea from experience collectors what they think would be too much to turn them away from a book.

Here is an example of a book I have with overspray on the right side that does not bleed too much into the interior of the pages. If you want to grade the book its in spare a grade and has no responses yet for some reason (shrug)

20160601_111639-1.jpg

20160601_112408-1.jpg

20160601_112046-1.jpg

20160601_112024-1.jpg

That doesn't look too bad. I hate when it bleeds down into the interior page margins. Personally I think CGC should downgrade more for overspray, it's not like every book has it; some do, some don't. The books that do should be downgraded accordingly.

Egads, man - those are uggy.

As above, I also do not know why CGC does not downgrade more (as they do with stains for example). I try to avoid books with such overspray.

Did they dip those books in paint??????

lol That's way too much, overspray doesn't usually bother me at all but those would :ohnoez:

Any at all is too much. I suppose a small amount along the top edge, as long as it doesn't bleed onto the front or back cover, is tolerable but I don't like to have any on a comic

I have always had a problem with the look of overspray and have seen many posts that indicate that over street does not consider it a defect. That being said how much does it affect the value of a book in a given grade? For example if you have a book in CGC 8.5 with no overspray and one with light edge over spray how much price difference would there be? I Know its hard to determine this as everyones opinion and preferences are different but I just wanted to get an idea from experience collectors what they think would be too much to turn them away from a book.

Here is an example of a book I have with overspray on the right side that does not bleed too much into the interior of the pages. If you want to grade the book its in spare a grade and has no responses yet for some reason (shrug)

20160601_111639-1.jpg

20160601_112408-1.jpg

20160601_112046-1.jpg

20160601_112024-1.jpg

That's exceptable to me. I had a raw Marvel Spotlight #5 back in the day that like that, only the bleeding was pretty bad, especially on the white back cover where it stood out.

I agree, the worst is when its 1/2 inch around the boarder of the back cover. I have seen books in cgc grades as high as 8.5 especially on ASM 129 with this issue.

Funny you mention this. One of my ASM 129's is actually an 8.5. It looks like it should be an easy 9.0 / 9.2 yet they knocked it down for some overspray.

Does the overspray bleed onto the back cover or the interior pages 1/2 inch?

I have yet to see any book with visible overspray on the front or back cover in 9.0 or higher, if anyone has any examples of some I would gladly appreciate if you could share pictures.

It's very simple. If it is on your books it is yucky and nothing could be better than a 2.0.

If it is on my books it is part of the distribution process and that purple book soaked in ink is still NM.

Simple, right?

It's very simple. If it is on your books it is yucky and nothing could be better than a 2.0.

If it is on my books it is part of the distribution process and that purple book soaked in ink is still NM.

Simple, right?

:roflmao:

As a Bronze Age collector, I'm aware of the fact that the books I collect are actually fairly common, and so I wouldn't buy a copy with overspray and would rather wait on another better-presenting copy. If the overspray is just along the edge with no bleed onto the cover or interiors, as with the Marvel Preview 2, that's not too bad at all, but the more extreme examples shown earlier ... :cry:

Does the overspray bleed onto the back cover or the interior pages 1/2 inch?

I have yet to see any book with visible overspray on the front or back cover in 9.0 or higher, if anyone has any examples of some I would gladly appreciate if you could share pictures.

I will scan it sometime this weekend. I am in the middle of a lot of other things that I am listing on eBay and did not go near the box that the 129 is in.