• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your top 2 ASM covers (2-20)?

55 posts in this topic

For me, this is virtually impossible. My choices will change from year to year. Right now I will say 9 and 19...... but just barely. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

For the folks that listed #4, can you please shed some light on you decision to go with that cover? I've always been lured to the large, single image covers and #4 is the complete opposite. To me, it is the absolute worst of the lot. (shrug)

For the folks that listed #4, can you please shed some light on you decision to go with that cover? I've always been lured to the large, single image covers and #4 is the complete opposite. To me, it is the absolute worst of the lot. (shrug)

Well, it should never be just a question of "impact" – to me it’s the overall value of the composition: in this case, the unusualness of the Sandman's power, and thus the sense of mystery, the progressive narration, and hinting at multi-panel solutions of previous decades which gives an "eerie" sense of wonder. :)

#13 is objectively a great cover, one should admit it even if he does not "like" it. ;)

#3 and #6 for me - for some reason I love #6!

I also cannot understand people liking #4 - arguably the worst of the first 20 issues IMO, outside of #10 (maybe)

I don't get the love for #4 either. Then again, I actually like #1, so take that with a grain of salt.

Being the Spidey collector that I am I have opinions...as we know...opinions can hover between beliefs and facts...so here goes...

And let me preface my picks by saying I am interpreting "top" to be "favorite" in my voting...

My first tier considerations are...

3/4/9/12/13/14

My second tier considerations are...

1/2/11/15/16/17/18

Covers that would never be considered for my top 2...

5/10/19/20 (5 and 10 being the worst of the bunch)

So I've casted out 12 because it is a great cover for me but 3rd Doc Ock cover...so we're down to 3/4/13/14

For me 9 and 14 are a tie so I'll cast them out...down to 3/4/13...

Gonna go with...

3 1st Doc Ock

4 1st Sandman

As for the consternation surrounding issue 4 I have the following comments:

Just love the following:

The story-telling of the cover

The uniqueness of the cover being the only 4-panel

The word balloons

The campiness and humor

The art

The trippiness of the Sandman's body changing...especially Panel 2

'nuff said