• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And another reason to hate lawyers . . .

9 posts in this topic

Gosh, shocking.

I guess Marvel and DC must be unaware of this happening at cons or they would have sued?

Or maybe...or maybe...they realize that it helps promote their brand. And they would look like Bags of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed if they tried to do that along with likely facing an Artists rebellion in the ranks.

Comic cons are HUGE business and do a lot to promote the brand of the big boys in the business. They create awareness and major fandom ensues which leads to frequent purchases after the con at the mall/Target/Walmart, etc and going to movies …. They are aware of it and probably look at it as a cost of doing business (the pros outweigh the cons). Enforcing IP to the letter of the law would kill many cons which is not good for business.

Gosh, shocking.

I guess Marvel and DC must be unaware of this happening at cons or they would have sued?

Or maybe...or maybe...they realize that it helps promote their brand. And they would look like Bags of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed if they tried to do that along with likely facing an Artists rebellion in the ranks.

Few people who are not lawyers will have a problem with Neal Adams drawing a sketch of Batman or signing prints of Green Lantern and selling them. When the dealer (with no connection to DC or Marvel) two tables over is selling unlicensed Green Lantern #76 mugs and shirts then you will have less agreement.

If Disney saw it as an issue they would hammer away. They went after certain items on eBay last year that had the name "Punisher" and the symbol on them. They were removed.

Disney really seems to have undergone a fundamental change in philosophy the past few years. Prior to recent blockbuster movies like Frozen they really hammed people for the smallest offenses.

If Disney saw it as an issue they would hammer away. They went after certain items on eBay last year that had the name "Punisher" and the symbol on them. They were removed.

Disney really seems to have undergone a fundamental change in philosophy the past few years. Prior to recent blockbuster movies like Frozen they really hammed people for the smallest offenses.

Which is 100% there rights to do. I know a while back there were sweeping raids at convention of people selling duped DVDs. Personally I think infringing on someone IP should have much stiffer penalties.

I don't think there has been a change. I believe they still police the historical Disney properties strictly. But they also let Marvel operate largely as it has before they acquired them.