• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Farmer's Daughter 1 thru 4, Complete Run, Ultra Scarce, 1954, Stanhall SOLD

19 posts in this topic

Behold, an extremely rare opportunity to acquire the complete four issue set of the 1954 Stanhall cult classic, "The Farmer's Daughter", all in one lot.

SOLD

Asking $1050. shipped in the USA. Payment by Paypal only. Please make payment within 24 hours after stating intent to purchase. If this is going to be problematic, please contact me before committing to buy to let me know how much time you'll need. Thanks very much.

The sale is over when someone posts, "I'll Take It", or when I post, "Sold through PM".

I package securely and ship promptly. All raw items are returnable if you notify me within one week after receipt.

fd_lot_zpsmltqgc4m.jpg

And now, a breakdown of each issue's condition:

#1) Solid VG+. Really one of the nicest copies I've seen. Complete, unrestored, cover and centerfold attached at both staples. Supple, off-white pages.

#2) Solid VG+. Complete, unrestored, cover and centerfold attached at both staples. Supple, off-white pages. Orange crayon markings on the cover, but mostly inconspicuous against the brown background.

#3) ) Very pretty 5.0. Complete, unrestored, cover and centerfold attached at both staples. Supple, off-white to white pages. Bright, vibrant cover colors. A flat, tight copy with striking luster and gloss.

#4) Lower grade but probably better than Good. Complete and unrestored. Small pieces missing along the bottom of the front cover, and in a couple of places on the back cover. The front cover is split from the bottom, almost half-way up the spine, but the bottom staple is still well attached at the back cover. The top staple is still attached to the cover in front, and in back. A lower grade copy, but still has good eye appeal, and even with the aforementioned flaws, it could grade 2.5 or 3.0.

fd1a2016_zps4ovqpgul.jpg

fd1b2016_zpsowtmcsu2.jpg

fd2a2016_zpsicbkbale.jpg

fd2b2016_zpsaxawmlwu.jpg

fd3a2016_zpswut5mna3.jpg

fd3b2016_zps2trewx9i.jpg

fd4a2016_zpsmbzwqd06.jpg

fd4b2016_zpsbtexthqx.jpg

Interesting story, I had put together the first three issues; a difficult enough feat in itself, but these were copies in fairly decent shape (4.5 to 5.0). Then I set about trying to locate issue #4, knowing it was by far the toughest issue of the run. After a few years of waiting for a copy to show, I had about given up, and I was getting ready to sell the first three issues. Then, a lower grade copy of #4 finally appeared on eBay not too long ago, and I won it.

Had the #4 been in the same grade range as the other three issues I'd found, this sale probably wouldn't be taking place. But issue #4 is so insanely scarce, I might be waiting decades for a VG or better copy to show itself. And so, I decided it might just be a lot more fun to proceed with the sale as planned (only now, I can offer a complete set. And that is something truly rare).

Just to give you a glimpse into the market for these books, that lower grade #4 went for almost $200. at auction, and I've seen lower grade copies of some of the others sell for upwards of $300. With the exception of the #4, these are some of the nicest copies I've seen.

BTW he bought the 4 from me. You're not going to want to know what I paid for it - I bought it from my LCS here in Vienna, Virginia. Was in a box of throwaway books.

BTW he bought the 4 from me. You're not going to want to know what I paid for it - I bought it from my LCS here in Vienna, Virginia. Was in a box of throwaway books.
. :cloud9:

Behold, an extremely rare opportunity to acquire the complete four issue set of the 1954 Stanhall cult classic, "The Farmer's Daughter", all in one lot.

Asking $1050. shipped in the USA. Payment by Paypal only. Please make payment within 24 hours after stating intent to purchase. If this is going to be problematic, please contact me before committing to buy to let me know how much time you'll need. Thanks very much.

The sale is over when someone posts, "I'll Take It", or when I post, "Sold through PM".

I package securely and ship promptly. All raw items are returnable if you notify me within one week after receipt.

fd_lot_zpsmltqgc4m.jpg

And now, a breakdown of each issue's condition:

#1) Solid VG+. Really one of the nicest copies I've seen. Complete, unrestored, cover and centerfold attached at both staples. Supple, off-white pages.

#2) Solid VG+. Complete, unrestored, cover and centerfold attached at both staples. Supple, off-white pages. Orange crayon markings on the cover, but mostly inconspicuous against the brown background.

#3) ) Very pretty 5.0. Complete, unrestored, cover and centerfold attached at both staples. Supple, off-white to white pages. Bright, vibrant cover colors. A flat, tight copy with striking luster and gloss.

#4) Lower grade but probably better than Good. Complete and unrestored. Small pieces missing along the bottom of the front cover, and in a couple of places on the back cover. The front cover is split from the bottom, almost half-way up the spine, but the bottom staple is still well attached at the back cover. The top staple is still attached to the cover in front, and in back. A lower grade copy, but still has good eye appeal, and even with the aforementioned flaws, it could grade 2.5 or 3.0.

fd1a2016_zps4ovqpgul.jpg

fd1b2016_zpsowtmcsu2.jpg

fd2a2016_zpsicbkbale.jpg

fd2b2016_zpsaxawmlwu.jpg

fd3a2016_zpswut5mna3.jpg

fd3b2016_zps2trewx9i.jpg

fd4a2016_zpsmbzwqd06.jpg

fd4b2016_zpsbtexthqx.jpg

Interesting story, I had put together the first three issues; a difficult enough feat in itself, but these were copies in fairly decent shape (4.5 to 5.0). Then I set about trying to locate issue #4, knowing it was by far the toughest issue of the run. After a few years of waiting for a copy to show, I had about given up, and I was getting ready to sell the first three issues. Then, a lower grade copy of #4 finally appeared on eBay not too long ago, and I won it.

Had the #4 been in the same grade range as the other three issues I'd found, this sale probably wouldn't be taking place. But issue #4 is so insanely scarce, I might be waiting decades for a VG or better copy to show itself. And so, I decided it might just be a lot more fun to proceed with the sale as planned (only now, I can offer a complete set. And that is something truly rare).

Just to give you a glimpse into the market for these books, that lower grade #4 went for almost $200. at auction, and I've seen lower grade copies of some of the others sell for upwards of $300. With the exception of the #4, these are some of the nicest copies I've seen.

:takeit: via PM

Well I guess my PM wasn't good enough. :tonofbricks:

My apologies to you, and others. I was besieged by offers right in the $900. neighborhood, and I was trying to decide how to break the tie. Thanks to everyone who expressed interest.

If you want 'em you gotta just man up. Whats a hundred bucks at this point?

Congrats Tony, this is a great run and very hard to complete. Now you gotta work on the rest of Stanhall's out put and complete, GI Jane, Oh Brother and Broadway Hollywood Blackouts. All cool and very hard to find books.

Congrats Tony, this is a great run and very hard to complete. Now you gotta work on the rest of Stanhall's out put and complete, GI Jane, Oh Brother and Broadway Hollywood Blackouts. All cool and very hard to find books.

In the next RM sale? :wishluck:

I agree. These books are new to me. I did not have them on my want list but when I saw them I knew I needed them. It will be the long road for me.