• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America comics 1 inside front cover scan help

22 posts in this topic

was that Roy's copy ? (Vintage Comics) What did it hammer for??

Went for $5151.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-Comics-1-1941-CGC-NG-Trimmed-O-W-Pgs-1st-Appearance-/361587307564?hash=item543048742c:g:0PQAAOSw9eVXV1vZ

From description

GRADE - Captain America Comics #1 - CGC Graded NG (Apparent No Grade - trimmed & incomplete) with Off-White pages. Top & right edge trimmed. Coverless in slab. Includes high quality cover reproduction. 15th wrap is married but original Cap #1 part. Book is incomplete (1st centerfold missing). Reproduction 1st centerfold included. Tape on the interior pages.

It was my copy.

I had missed the trimming on it - honestly, so did someone else, but it was hard to tell and must have been a long time ago.

I thought it went cheap, but generally people don't often know how to price parts and pieces so i chalk it up to that.

It was my copy.

I had missed the trimming on it - honestly, so did someone else, but it was hard to tell and must have been a long time ago.

I thought it went cheap, but generally people don't often know how to price parts and pieces so i chalk it up to that.

I thought it went cheap , too. Seems like once people see Trimmed, they run in the other direction. I wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up disassembled and sold off by the page.

It was my copy.

The last 0.5 restored went for about $16k earlier this year. The last nice looking cover went for a bit over $10k. This book also had missing and married parts. $5k+ for that may be a wee bit on the low side but wasn't a disaster either. Plus this is one of those GA books where a whole lot of the value is in the cover. I think if there was at least a front cover, the book would have gone for $15k or more, even if it was missing more pages. 2c

Congrats on the sale either way.

-J.

It was my copy.

Did you ever try selling it over here on the boards?

I think the hammer price was low too. I was thinking it would finish around $8k. SO many great Cap pages

Actually, the under bidder just contacted me and said he'd have bid more aggressively but he was worried about what others would think about the price. lol

Even trimmed I thought it went cheap IMO. As gadzukes said, the book is chock full of awesome Cap stories.

After forgetting to bid on that book in a Sunday Night auction about 7 months ago I ended up contacting Heritage to buy it from the winning bidder. The book ended at $6000, I offered $8000 and would have gone much higher if I had to. I'm thankful I didn't

I bought the book to complete my other Cap #1, which I recently sold on the boards as a married centerfold copy.

So you could say that the centerfold cost me $3000. But if I was willing to do that for a centerfold what does the rest of the book hold, value wise?

And if my married centerfold copy sold for roughly half of what a complete, unmarried copy would sell for does that mean the married centerfold makes the book worth half of what it would normally be worth?

As I said people often don't know how to value pieces. My personal opinion is that even a beat up coverless missing a centerfold is worth well more than $5000.

Actually, the under bidder just contacted me and said he'd have bid more aggressively but he was worried about what others would think about the price. lol

Even trimmed I thought it went cheap IMO. As gadzukes said, the book is chock full of awesome Cap stories.

After forgetting to bid on that book in a Sunday Night auction about 7 months ago I ended up contacting Heritage to buy it from the winning bidder. The book ended at $6000, I offered $8000 and would have gone much higher if I had to. I'm thankful I didn't

I bought the book to complete my other Cap #1, which I recently sold on the boards as a married centerfold copy.

So you could say that the centerfold cost me $3000. But if I was willing to do that for a centerfold what does the rest of the book hold, value wise?

And if my married centerfold copy sold for roughly half of what a complete, unmarried copy would sell for does that mean the married centerfold makes the book worth half of what it would normally be worth?

As I said people often don't know how to value pieces. My personal opinion is that even a beat up coverless missing a centerfold is worth well more than $5000.

I bought the fugly coverless copy that that was listed on CL a couple years ago. Every wrap was split except the CF. It also had cutouts on 4 or 5 pages, but the CF was intact. I paid $8000 (overpaid) for it because I NEEDED THAT CF!

Once I married the CF into my nice copy of Cap 1, I decided to slab all the individual pages and then slowly sell them off (didn't want to flood the market with pages).

I've sold off many of the pages, and I recently found a buyer for my remaining pages. It's looking like, by the time I finish selling the pages I will have made about $8k-$9k. So basically I got my CF for FREE.

That's why I thought this current coverless copy would go for more $. There are many key pages that are individually worth a lot.

I bought the fugly coverless copy that that was listed on CL a couple years ago. Every wrap was split except the CF. It also had cutouts on 4 or 5 pages, but the CF was intact. I paid $8000 (overpaid) for it because I NEEDED THAT CF!

Once I married the CF into my nice copy of Cap 1, I decided to slab all the individual pages and then slowly sell them off (didn't want to flood the market with pages).

I've sold off many of the pages, and I recently found a buyer for my remaining pages. It's looking like, by the time I finish selling the pages I will have made about $8k-$9k. So basically I got my CF for FREE.

That's why I thought this current coverless copy would go for more $. There are many key pages that are individually worth a lot.

Now that is smart thinking..hat off to you

Since the book was already trimmed, I have a feeling the winner may well intend to sell off the pages individually. Just speculation, of course, but it seems like a reasonable course of action.

Sorry I missed this in the thread but was the entire book trimmed ?

Yes, I believe so.

I think, even if it was trimmed...... it was more valuable. I was watching the auction but I've been somewhat cash poor, otherwise I would have bid higher than the hammer price.

Timing is everything. My timing was off for that auction.