• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New CGC inner well and questions .......

52 posts in this topic

OG - I personally don't care what you think of me doing it, or what you think of doing it. Ze just implied that it's stupid to have books slabbed unless you're going to flip them, and I wanted to know why? If you're a collector, and don't care about the $$, then why is it stupid?

Now you can leave it on the coffee table in your apartment for your friends to drool over . . . 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

stooges.gif

hi.gif

OG - I personally don't care what you think of me doing it, or what you think of doing it. Ze just implied that it's stupid to have books slabbed unless you're going to flip them, and I wanted to know why? If you're a collector, and don't care about the $$, then why is it stupid?

Easy big guy. You replied to my post so I thought you were talking to me. I'll be sure and add you to the long list of people that don't care what I think. thumbsup2.gif

Don't let OG push you around. He's a flipper ...nothing more. sumo.gif

Just on modern variants and other assorted modern books people like to pay way over cover price for. grin.gif

hi.gif

I should also note that I sell plenty of modern books for far less then cover price as well. I'm just not into collecting much modern stuff. I like reading it, but after I read moderns I usually end up selling them soon after. I collect SA and BA comics and even a few GA, but rarely, if ever, sell any of them.

I also slab my books to keep. Seriously though, a lot of things can happen to a book if it's left raw as well (tape pull, books leaning on each other even if they're in mylars, friggin USPS envelope being bent in half even though it's in between two thick boards, etc.

Most of your examples involve removing the book from the mylar. If you just keep them in the mylar in an acid-free box, none of the things you describe are likely to happen. Further, in mylars you don't have the tape issue in the first place..?

Furthermore, in the mylars you have the option to remove the book, read it, etc.

I thought that CGC recommended replacing the micro-paper used to stabilize/neutralize the acid build-up in the slab, once every 7 years...? This would be an issue on two fronts: having to re-slab the book, which will have costs associated with it, and having to ship the book to/from CGC to have the reslabbing done...the shipping part has costs associated with it as well as risk of SCS.

The new inner well looks nice - but if it's only available for newer books, it's not a really thorough solution...? confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought that CGC recommended replacing the micro-paper used to stabilize/neutralize the acid build-up in the slab, once every 7 years...?

That's only because they think (even they aren't sure) that the paper losses it's effectiveness after seven years, not because it will cause any harm.

I thought that CGC recommended replacing the micro-paper used to stabilize/neutralize the acid build-up in the slab, once every 7 years...?

That's only because they think (even they aren't sure) that the paper losses it's effectiveness after seven years, not because it will cause any harm.

Yeah, that's where my "I've seen no evidence" statement comes in.

CGC slabs aren't long-term storage options anyway.

Then why have a book slabbed, ever? Not everyone agrees with the notion that slabs are not good for long term storage. Does anyone have an example to show of the "bad" things that can happen to a book being in a slab for an extended period of time? Without proof, there is no justification.

Even Steve Borock on the show he did last year it would seem to indicate long term storage is a feature of the holder... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, that's where my "I've seen no evidence" statement comes in.

I crack most of the CGC books I buy from the slabs, but I can also understand leaving them in. I have three Stan Lee file copies that if taken out of the slab would go from being "cool" to being just three mid grade bronze horror books.

BTW, I like that Supergirl cover. That cover actually got me to pick that book up and look at it when it was on the rack at the LCS. I didn't actually buy it, but I did look at it. I don't read hardly any mainstream DC books, but I can appreciate a nice cover. thumbsup2.gif

There's just too much conflicting interest here.

We need to all get together and have a Collectors vs. Flippers softball game someday.

I'd have to play on both sides . . . 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Dont let them get to you, I think the book looks just super in the slab grin.gif

hater.jpg

Admit it OG, you're just jealous that you can't affort to slab all the books you own...

grin.gif

Busted.