• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COVER vs INTERIOR

16 posts in this topic

What percentage of the CGC grade do you think is based on the cover vs the interior...

cover 80%...interior 20%...cover higher...lower?

mm

I don't think it can be nailed down to a percentage because there's too many variables. One example would be a book that has a great exterior missing a page - gets 0.5 incomplete. 5% exterior and 95% interior. In other words, with so many variables you could spin the math like a politician.

I don't think it can be nailed down to a percentage because there's too many variables. One example would be a book that has a great exterior missing a page - gets 0.5 incomplete. 5% exterior and 95% interior. In other words, with so many variables you could spin the math like a politician.

Agreed.

Grading is based on the overall book.

The majority of the Grader Notes that I have received deal only with the cover.

The interior seems to be covered by "Off-White to White" etc.

mm

Seems to be based mainly on the cover unless there is a major flaw in the interior that effects the story. Then you get a massive hit. So poor page quality is a minor hit, a ripped page, page with a piece missing, or missing page give a noticeable hit. Most of the other interior damage like water, foxing, big creases, will likely show something on the cover also.

Seems to be based mainly on the cover unless there is a major flaw in the interior that effects the story. Then you get a massive hit. So poor page quality is a minor hit, a ripped page, page with a piece missing, or missing page give a noticeable hit. Most of the other interior damage like water, foxing, big creases, will likely show something on the cover also.

I tend to agree with you.

mm

So, if I'm understanding the emerging consensus:

A missing coupon or Marvel Value Stamp is less of a problem if it doesn't affect a story page?

No, CGC will consider that an incomplete book and will grade it as an incomplete book. That is different from a poor but damaged interior.

A missing coupon or Marvel Value Stamp is less of a problem if it doesn't affect a story page?

No, CGC will consider that an incomplete book and will grade it as an incomplete book. That is different from a poor but damaged interior.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying!

So clipped coupon = PLOD?

Ah. Thanks for clarifying!

So clipped coupon = PLOD?

Every book I have seen with a coupon cliped that does not have any other restoration is a green label. I have seen many hulk 181s with the notation missing marvel value stamp but still with a green label.

Yeah, a clipped coupon is not going to get a PLOD. It will get either a green Qualified or, if the customer specifies it, a Blue Universal with a strong hit taken for the clip. How stroing a hit not sure but probably pretty severe.

Besides browning pages and brittle edges how much of a deduction do you think

folded pages would receive?

<a  href=https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7258/27843183635_bec7361c1e_z.jpg' alt='27843183635_bec7361c1e_z.jpg'>IMG INTERIOR PAGE FOLD

mm