• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it that so many comic shops are oblivious to CGC???

69 posts in this topic

One LCS thinks CGC is a joke with their grading and criticizes their grading often...however when I've subbed a couple of their books they come back almost identical to their grade on the book.

My LCS owner feels CGC is inconsistent. Another customer comes by with books and shows them to him and he feels there are too many spine tics that should downgrade the 9.6s and 9.8s that a lot of the books get.

But for the most part he doesn't have the client base that would support the high prices that those books bring in. He has had some books slabbed, but not many.

For a shop owner it all comes down to turning your money over. It's the number one rule of a successful business. If a store has a nice high grade silver or golden age comic, a shop owner isn't going to want to have it hanging on his wall or in his display case hoping the right buyer comes along. It could take months or years to sell that comic. But with ebay, you not only have the liquidity factor, but you also have customers bidding against each other vying for your comic. Why sell a comic for X amount of dollars in your store, when you potentially could get 2 or 3 times X on ebay.

I also don't think its the store owners who haven't heard of CGC, it's the customers. At my store, I would say 85-90% of my customers probably have never even seen a CGC graded comic. They're mainly interested in coming in each week to pick up their comics. Very few are even interested in buying back issues. So if they see a comic in this cool plastic holder, but notice the price is 3 times what Overstreet says it should be, they're not likely to buy it.

Very True! That was how my former LCS shop owner told me where I parton in his shop (in Calgary AB). He said to me that he do sell his stock on eBay and online orders from customers out of city. Said he find it better to make money faster with CGC slabs online than he would try on his display shelves. It`s just that he find it a waste of time and space with CGC there. He only put a few ones but actually have dozens more hidden out of customer's eyes!

I had brought a few high grades raws from him for good prices in the past. ;)

My nearest LCS employs comic guys who look down on people who collect graded books, as if they are superior because they are "comic readers not collectors." Cracks me up because I love my CGC books yet I'm in there every week buying books to READ.

My LCS is Midtown Comics. They've heard of Wal-Mart.

They've also heard of CGC. Most LCS' in my area, however, are decidely anti-CGC. I think they think it's a fad.

Or they're offended at the grading strictness. I've yet to find a comic dealer who was a tight grader. They just tend to think everything is NM

QFT

-slym

My LCS is Midtown Comics. They've heard of Wal-Mart.

They've also heard of CGC. Most LCS' in my area, however, are decidely anti-CGC. I think they think it's a fad.

Or they're offended at the grading strictness. I've yet to find a comic dealer who was a tight grader. They just tend to think everything is NM

+1 usually the ones who dont like cgc are the ones that overgrade

CGC slabs just scream "no way can I buy this book off the seller at 1/2 market so I can make money"

Most people have enough in their CGCed books (between buying the raw book, then paying for slabbing, shipping, etc) that they want/need to to get offers closer to market.

Also people walking in with CGC books KNOW the hobby, KNOW the market, and KNOW what their book is worth... so there's very little opportunity for the LCS to take advantage of (not excessive advantage, just enough advantage to make money).