• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it that so many comic shops are oblivious to CGC???

69 posts in this topic

I don't think CGC modern books are unsellable in a comic shop, and I suspect that NM Gold, Silver, and Bronze books are more sellable in comic shops inside a slab than outside of a slab. The problem is that most comic shops are and probably always have been a crappy place to sell expensive books. It's pot luck as to whether the lamborghini buyers are physically located close to where your store is. Conventions, and now E-Bay, are just a better way to sell that stuff than comic shops have ever been.

I'll second that!

When I asked the shop near me in Vegas about CGC comics, the reply was to the effect of "CGC is for the internet, raw is for shops." When I asked "Does that mean you have CGC books, but only sell them on ebay?", he just smiled, turned around and walked away.

Honest. Not very smart telling a potential customer that info. But honest nonetheless.

Rick

For a shop owner it all comes down to turning your money over. It's the number one rule of a successful business. If a store has a nice high grade silver or golden age comic, a shop owner isn't going to want to have it hanging on his wall or in his display case hoping the right buyer comes along. It could take months or years to sell that comic. But with ebay, you not only have the liquidity factor, but you also have customers bidding against each other vying for your comic. Why sell a comic for X amount of dollars in your store, when you potentially could get 2 or 3 times X on ebay.

I also don't think its the store owners who haven't heard of CGC, it's the customers. At my store, I would say 85-90% of my customers probably have never even seen a CGC graded comic. They're mainly interested in coming in each week to pick up their comics. Very few are even interested in buying back issues. So if they see a comic in this cool plastic holder, but notice the price is 3 times what Overstreet says it should be, they're not likely to buy it.

There's not a single CGC comic in any comic store in my city. Not one.

Not only that, but the management disparagements CGC with the usual arguments:

1. It's all subjective--they're just some guys who have opinions on the grade. Nothing objective about it.

2. It's a phase. It'll be hot for a while and then go away.

3. They're in it for a fast buck because they know people will pay.

My translation of the following statements:

"1. It's all subjective--they're just some guys who have opinions on the grade. Nothing objective about it."

Oh no! now people will know just how bad our grading is!!!!

"2. It's a phase. It'll be hot for a while and then go away."

I hope these guys go bankrupt before everyone sees how bad our grading really is!!

3. They're in it for a fast buck because they know people will pay.

Since we can't make much money off it (mainly cuz our NM stuff will come back F-) we aren't gonna offer it to our customers.

CGC has been around for several years now and comic shops that I've been to still don't sell or even know about CGC. Whats the deal with that? A lot of times when I've mentioned CGC to the store people they look at me like I'm talking some foriegn language. Why is it the comic stores stay away from CGC slabbed books? Has anyone else noticed this???
My LCS owner had never heard of the publisher Fantagraphics.

It's fine if you don't stock it because it doesn't sell, it's fine if you don't read it because you like action and bright colors. What I don't think is fine is no knowing your business. If you own a KIA dealership you had better at least have heard of Land R over, even if it's not a direct competitor of yours. It's a car, you sell cars!

Did we ever answer this question properly?

I don't know. But how many books are even worth the fees and to/from shipping? That's, what, around $25-$35+ a pop? The vast majority of comics simply aren't worth grading. And that's fine. I love raw books.

My LCS is Midtown Comics. They've heard of Wal-Mart.

They've also heard of CGC. Most LCS' in my area, however, are decidely anti-CGC. I think they think it's a fad.

My LCS is Midtown Comics. They've heard of Wal-Mart.

They've also heard of CGC. Most LCS' in my area, however, are decidely anti-CGC. I think they think it's a fad.

Or they're offended at the grading strictness. I've yet to find a comic dealer who was a tight grader. They just tend to think everything is NM

That too.