• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC using old cases Grade date of May 12th

109 posts in this topic

They are on Dre's books...

So Dre is selling books that were graded within the last couple of weeks and slabbed in the old well style holder and Dre posted in the other thread that his bet was that CGC would announce that they are going back to the old style slab? hm

Now I'm getting my hopes up that he had inside info and that is in fact going to be the announcement. Which would make me very happy :cloud9:

I have no inside info other what has been posted on the boards. Your guess is as good as mine, waiting for the announcement as well.

Funny you didn't mention when you got some books in that some came in the old case...

Wouldn't everyone be happier if they reverted back to the old slab? Admitting the new case was a failure is the first step to making things right again...

They can't.

Unless the upcoming official announcement from CGC is a very big surprise, which I have to say is pretty doubtdul, CGC will ultimately have no choice but to revert to using a case like the older case.

CGC's market share will surely take a beating, as the negative feedback surrounding the 4/14 cases continues to snowball and spread.

It is not as if CGC is unaware of this.

To regain lost support, CGC (barring a huge shift via the upcoming announcement) will have to revert to an older styled case.My feeling is that they will do so.It will be done quietly, which is really the only way it can be done without hurting CGC's name brand.

They do not have to "admit the new case was a failure".

They can, and I strongly believe that they will, either bring back the previous holder with an improvement to address the potential SRS issues it had or reformat the new holder to allow for an inner well to be used.

The negative feedback/issues surrounding the new case, and CGC's public perception will not only hurt the CGC name brand, over time, but the market as a whole.

My recollection from what people have posted is that when the problems with the new slabs first became evident, CGC was offering the option to have books slabbed using the old cases -- at least to people who called up and complained.

But subsequently some people posted that they were told that option had ended. Apparently not for everyone, though!

So Dre is selling books that were graded within the last couple of weeks and slabbed in the old well style holder and Dre posted in the other thread that his bet was that CGC would announce that they are going back to the old style slab? hm

Now I'm getting my hopes up that he had inside info and that is in fact going to be the announcement. Which would make me very happy :cloud9:

I have no inside info - All I've seen is what has been posted on the boards. Your guess is as good as mine. Waiting for the announcement as well.

You are probably the boards' staunchest defender of the new case. You're a large submitter. Why wouldn't you want or insist on getting your books in the new holder?

My recollection from what people have posted is that when the problems with the new slabs first became evident, CGC was offering the option to have books slabbed using the old cases -- at least to people who called up and complained.

But subsequently some people posted that they were told that option had ended. Apparently not for everyone, though!

Your recollection is certainly correct but even so, I do not think it is (or was) that black and white of an issue.

It stands to reason that when the new case was introduced, the supply of older case was pretty low.

So, CGC could either offer the older holder to small amount of customers who made large submissions (like the boardie who had 60 books holdered or reholdered in the new case) or offer old case reholders to a larger number of customers who had only a handful of books in a submission i.e. the boardie who was offered old case reholders for a 3 book reholder order. (like the boardie who yesterday posted up the email from a CGC rep about a Green Lantern book not looking right/good in the new case reholder).

To be honest I don't think this was a case of favoritism. I was one of the people that called and asked to have my invoices slabbed in the old slabs. The lady I spoke to said she needed to go make the request and would call me back. When she did, she told me that they could no longer offer this option as they were out of the cases.

At that point I had 6 invoices in with them. I've gotten 4 of them back, 2 in the old cases and 2 in the new. So, I think she made the request and then someone told her that they were out of the old cases but then they slabbed some of my books in the old cases. I'm guessing it was a miscommunication on their part. I'm a small fish so I'm definitely not getting any favoritism.

I have no inside info - All I've seen is what has been posted on the boards. Your guess is as good as mine. Waiting for the announcement as well.

You are probably the boards' staunchest defender of the new case. You're a large submitter. Why wouldn't you want or insist on getting your books in the new holder?

When was I the staunchest defender of the new cases? I've had issues with the new cases. I've been pointing out mis-conceptions, that's all.

I've been getting books back in old and new cases. These were Walk Throughs yesterday. They were in old cases when I picked them up.

When was I the staunchest defender of the new cases? I've had issues with the new cases. I've been pointing out mis-conceptions, that's all.

I've been getting books back in old and new cases. These were Walk Throughs yesterday. Picked them up in old cases.

Have you been asking them to use old cases when possible? Just curious.

I guess I'm still puzzled as to how they are handling this. Apparently some people are getting a mixture of old and new cases. Is there a quota (half?) per submission? hm

I guess I'm still puzzled as to how they are handling this. Apparently some people are getting a mixture of old and new cases. Is there a quota (half?) per submission? hm

If you want to go maximum conspiracy maybe they are transitioning back to an old style holder, and now using up the new holder. :shy:

Wouldn't everyone be happier if they reverted back to the old slab? Admitting the new case was a failure is the first step to making things right again...

They can't.

Unless the upcoming official announcement from CGC is a very big surprise, which I have to say is pretty doubtdul, CGC will ultimately have no choice but to revert to using a case like the older case.

The inner well of the old case was made of Barex, which is out of production.

Various polymer manufacturers are looking for replacements for Barex, but most of the uses do not require something that's considered archival quality (or close). In other words, it may be that none of the replacement products are safe for comic books. The only comic-book friendly material that I know of that's in production is Mylar, and that cannot be formed the way Barex could be.

I'm fairly certain the inability to continue to produce the inner well was one of the driving forces behind the redesign.

If you want to go maximum conspiracy maybe they are transitioning back to an old style holder, and now using up the new holder. :shy:

Looks like we may have another instance of them what's knows won't say ....

They can't.

The inner well of the old case was made of Barex, which is out of production.

Various polymer manufacturers are looking for replacements for Barex, but most of the uses do not require something that's considered archival quality (or close). In other words, it may be that none of the replacement products are safe for comic books. The only comic-book friendly material that I know of that's in production is Mylar, and that cannot be formed the way Barex could be.

I'm fairly certain the inability to continue to produce the inner well was one of the driving forces behind the redesign.

PETG

Woah... Dre, I apologize. I wasn't trying to start conspiracy theories about you and the old/new case. I was just simply saying there are old cases out there that are from recent submissions and heard CGC was making an announcement at some point.

I've been getting books back in old and new cases. These were Walk Throughs yesterday. They were in old cases when I picked them up.

Dre, you were trying to show that some books were wavy in the raw so they were supposed to be wavy in the holder. To me, that is defending the holder not pointing out a misconception.

Interesting.