• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick One: Marvel Spotlight 5 or Werewolf by Night 32

54 posts in this topic

Sorry, the cover to WWBN 32 sucks.

MS 5, all the way...

I love the WWBN cover. Great colour pallet and sense of motion.

I agree. Some of the best colors of any bronze age key.

I had both a long time ago. Although I love the Gil Kane cover on the WBN book, nothing else about it is really all that special. I still view MK as a 2nd/3rd tier character.

MS5 however, spectacular cover, spectacular interior art, and great original story. One of many books I regret letting go.

Sorry, the cover to WWBN 32 sucks.

MS 5, all the way...

I love the WWBN cover. Great colour pallet and sense of motion.

I agree. Some of the best colors of any bronze age key.

Totally subjective...

The main deterrent for me is the rendering of Moon Knight. He's right up to the viewer, and fills most of the panel, but nothing about him looks cool. He's in an awkward pose, and on his own a very limited sense of movement- very static. The only real sense of movement I get is coming from the trash in the background.

The application of the colors makes the scene super flat, and kills the mood. Is it day? Night? Why are the figures in the background so brightly lit? That's not where my attention should be...

Moon Knight's placement feels very forced- how his left side runs right up to rest on the edge of the frame- just a weak composition. His figure running off panel a bit would have given him a bit more of a formidable presence. As he is he just looks like he's about to fall over, but is magically being held in place by the right side border of the panel.

meh... Not a fan. MS5 is much more straightforward, and my attention immediately goes to Ghost Rider, who looks like a bad . The surrounding values and colors make him stand out, and then my eyes wander around the scene a bit, and back to him. Simple! The blacks on this cover are nice and deep.. Great range of values going on here. Ploog is a master.

The warm blue sky on the WWBN32 cover is nauseating. The font in the title is nice though.

Yeah - how is this even comparable?

Moon Knight has _never_ been more than a 3rd tier character, whereas Ghost Rider was a solid A-list one for 2-3 years a generation ago.

Also, has Moon Knight ever made it to 60 issues in a series?

Ghost Rider has (at least twice). And has had multiple movies.

All the moon knight hype is speculative -- that there _may_ be a Netflix show or eventual movie. Far better to bet on Ghost Rider, who has had far more appearances, guest appearances, and you know, actual movies.

Plus, he's a cooler character. Duh.

I like MS 5 better for so many reasons. Pre-1975 20 center with a BLACK picture frame cover and really imposing artwork and color.

I have much more childhood nostalgia associated with Ghost Rider too. I didn't even know who Moon Knight was when I was a kid haha

Interesting thread.

If these preferences are an accurate indication of the market as a whole, why is MS 5 worth half (or less) of WWBN 32 in most grades? It's not any tougher of a book. I have owned a lot more nice copies of WWBN than I have Spotlight.

Interesting thread.

If these preferences are an accurate indication of the market as a whole, why is MS 5 worth half (or less) of WWBN 32 in most grades? It's not any tougher of a book. I have owned a lot more nice copies of WWBN than I have Spotlight.

koolaid1front_0_0.jpg

I'm assuming it's speculators hoping a movie or tv series will spring forth. In this day and age our comics have taken on the guise of potential "lottery tickets" now with Hollywood able to pick and choose popular and obscure characters. Dollar bin or stagnant books can rise to fame in no time! Anyway, I just answered the poll for which book I prefer more which was MS5. As an aside, WBN 32 was the very last issue I needed to complete my WBN run. When I finally found one in a random comic book store for $15, I was surprised it was a wall book and didn't even know it was MK's first appearance. doh! Although that was over 20 yrs ago... :preach:

I like MS 5 better for so many reasons. Pre-1975 20 center with a BLACK picture frame cover and really imposing artwork and color.

I have much more childhood nostalgia associated with Ghost Rider too. I didn't even know who Moon Knight was when I was a kid haha

(thumbs u

I've found both issues in OO collections over the years but the ten 9.2+ MS5's were back in 1991 and the three 9.2+ WWBK 32's were 2015. That's a long drought between these two issues in high grade. I've found both in 6.0 and lower on a handful of occasions and definitely more MS5 than WWBk32. Now if I only hadn't traded away the MS 5's at the 1991 San Diego comic con for SA and GA books :-). Would love to know how those copies slabbed out. Very recognizeable as they all had a a fairly thick ink date stamp that GA Collectibles from Pikes Place market in Seattle put on all their new books back in the '70's. I'll have to dig up a different issue I still have with the OO date stamps to show folks. I'll attach it to this post later when I find it.

I appear to be in the minority. I never liked Ghost Rider. I find the Moon Knight stories, the multiple personality disorder, and the basic fact Marc Spector has gone off the deep end, to be great for storytelling.

I hope Marvel Spotlight 5 stays lower in value and speculators aren't trying to hype it for a long time.

Ghost Rider was always one of my favorite characters and I'd like to upgrade my 8.5 to a 9.2 at some point. :wishluck:

Everyone vote Werewolf by Night! :banana::devil:

The thing is, as long as Marvel keeps putting out this:

28lg5l.jpg

I'm happy. :cloud9:

I appear to be in the minority. I never liked Ghost Rider. I find the Moon Knight stories, the multiple personality disorder, and the basic fact Marc Spector has gone off the deep end, to be great for storytelling.

THIS.

I'm an old school comic collector who has been reinvigorated by the movies / tv shows. While I love both characters, and I'm happy Ghost Rider has reverted to Marvel Studios, the storytelling device favors Moon Knight / Marc Spector. I think that as far as developing something like a Netflix series, this character is ripe. Not that Ghost Rider can't provide good storytelling, but in the hands of a capable scribe, a character with multiple personalities and a little cash lends itself to some great storytelling. The WWBN is undervalued IMO as I think Moon Knight is low hanging fruit content-wise.

As far as covers go, I love the colors to Moon Knight book better, but the imagery of the Ghost Rider cover is better. For me it's a push on the comic.

Nah - again, the Moon Knight hype is based fully on speculation that he *might* have a TV show in the next three years and thus it *might* take off.

Exactly the same as every time Marvel has tried a rebooted solo series for him, only to see it fail and be cancelled within five years. *Maybe _this_ time it'll take off*

It's like that burn from the movie The Contender back in 2000 when Jeff Bridges is explaining why the senator isn't gonna' be his VP:

"You're the future of the Democratic party. And you always will be."

Moon Knight's had "potential" ever since the 1990s. But he's never really produced as a character.

(Caveat - I actually loved the Finch series of a few years back. But how long did it last?)

Ghost Rider, meanwhile, is a proven property, with at far more solo appearances, successful series, guest appearances and movies (plural) behind him.

Oh, and by the way, he's _also_ rumored to get at least a guest appearance on a new Netflix series as well.

And the book is older, with a black cover, and by a better artist.

So Ghost Rider wins on all counts.