• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 10: 1st - 3rd

Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 1st to 3rd

58 posts in this topic

I would be willing to bet most people defending the book grew up reading the Byrne or Silver Age run, but nothing of any consequence has been done on the title in nearly 30 years.

That would be a good discussion for the copper and modern boards. Which mainstream titles have had the most significant growth and development since the mid-80's? Spider-Man has black suit/Venom, and that's it. Every other change since then has been met with hate, and been brushed under the rug.

Fantastic Four 1-100 is the best Silver Age run, hands down. However, Stan Lee took advantage of a blossoming superhero market. His thought process was "what kind of superhero haven't we seen yet?" Showcase 4 is the book that rekindled the love for new superheroes during that era, and made everything else possible.

Stan Lee popularized the Silver Age, but Julius Schwartz built it. Showcase 4.

In my mind this poll should end this way.

1. F.F.1

2.SC 4

3. AF 15

Agreed. That's how I voted. AF15 is the most important character today, but FF1 made it all possible to have the marvel world we have today.

By this rationale, SC 4 made FF 1 possible so SC 4 should be the most important (shrug)

No. SC4 was a reboot of an existing character. SC4 was not responsible for the juggernaut that is Marvel. FF1 was. :thumbsup:

SC 4 was reboot of a superhero. Had that bombed and not sold well, FF1 might not have happened. Therefore the juggernaut that is Marvel may not have been a juggernaut. This is the problem with rationalizing FF 1 being more important because "it started it". There were predecessors to FF 1 that "started it" before FF 1 "started it". Where do you draw the line?

DC was still publishing heroes in their more childlike story telling manner. Marvel upended that with FF1. To me there is a clear difference.

FF 1 was just a continuation of childlike Atlas/Marvel sci-fi/horror story telling. The early SA stuff is just as hokey as GA books. lol

FWIW, SC #4 introduced the whole concept of science/sci-fi based superheroes with the updated origin story for Barry Allen, not the FF.

I would be willing to bet most people defending the book grew up reading the Byrne or Silver Age run, but nothing of any consequence has been done on the title in nearly 30 years.

That would be a good discussion for the copper and modern boards. Which mainstream titles have had the most significant growth and development since the mid-80's? Spider-Man has black suit/Venom, and that's it. Every other change since then has been met with hate, and been brushed under the rug.

AF #15 and ASM #1-100 is the best Silver Age run, hands down. However, Stan Lee took advantage of a blossoming superhero market. His thought process was "what kind of superhero haven't we seen yet?" Showcase 4 is the book that rekindled the love for new superheroes during that era, and made everything else possible.

Stan Lee popularized the Silver Age, but Julius Schwartz built it. Showcase 4.

Fixed that a bit for you. (thumbs u

Would love to see how different age groups voted their top 10. Surely, there would be several differences particularly amongst those who place a higher weighting on 'historical' importance vs other variables.

Exactly. The FF has not been significant since the mid 60s. For anyone that started reading in the early-70s onwards, it has been a total dog for their entire comic collecting lifespan. lol

Looks like this poll will end up as expected; AF 15, FF1 & SC4. Glad to see that it's not a blowout, as all 3 are deserving, IMHO.

Hard to argue with that, or any other order of those three books. Three Titans of the industry, to be sure.

Hard for an old guy to see the distaste for the FF, which was simply Groundbreaking...

I wonder what the top three would look like if the three FF movies had been done as well as the better received Marvel flicks... hm

Thanks for the Poll, KOKO, lot's of interesting opinions...

In my mind this poll should end this way.

1. F.F.1

2.SC 4

3. AF 15

Agreed. That's how I voted. AF15 is the most important character today, but FF1 made it all possible to have the marvel world we have today.

By this rationale, SC 4 made FF 1 possible so SC 4 should be the most important (shrug)

No. SC4 was a reboot of an existing character. SC4 was not responsible for the juggernaut that is Marvel. FF1 was. :thumbsup:

SC 4 was reboot of a superhero. Had that bombed and not sold well, FF1 might not have happened. Therefore the juggernaut that is Marvel may not have been a juggernaut. This is the problem with rationalizing FF 1 being more important because "it started it". There were predecessors to FF 1 that "started it" before FF 1 "started it". Where do you draw the line?

DC was still publishing heroes in their more childlike story telling manner. Marvel upended that with FF1. To me there is a clear difference.

FF 1 was just a continuation of childlike Atlas/Marvel sci-fi/horror story telling. The early SA stuff is just as hokey as GA books. lol

FWIW, SC #4 introduced the whole concept of science/sci-fi based superheroes with the updated origin story for Barry Allen, not the FF.

Kimmy...you've gotta admit the Skrulls were cool, right? :baiting::makepoint:

It's amazing what time has done to some of this, as you read the list.

I think FF #1 is probably the most important Silver Age issue. It ushered in the MARVEL AGE. It is the reason Marvel was able to produce books like it did. It was where Stan and Jack perfected their chops.

I mean, there was a time when the Thing was more popular than Iron Man in Comics. The Thing had his own Marvel Two In One for chirssakes, and Iron Man teetered on cancellation. The Thing was A list, Iron Man was B list.

Today, most kids see the movies, see Robert Downey Jr., and think Iron Man kicks butt. Iron Man is plastered over t shirts, backpacks, water bottles, toys.... The Thing....Not so much.

Amazing what about 35 years, and a multi million dollar movie franchise can do for a character.

I think FF #1 is probably the most important Silver Age issue. It ushered in the MARVEL AGE. It is the reason Marvel was able to produce books like it did. It was where Stand and Jack perfected their chops.

I mean, there was a time when the Thing was more popular than Iron Man in Comics. The Thing had his own Marvel Two In One for chirssakes, and Iron Man teetered on cancellation. The Thing as A list, Iron Man was B list.

Today, most kids see the movies, see Robert Downey Jr., and think Iron Man kicks butt. Iron Man is plastered over t shirts, backpacks, water bottles, toys.... The Thing....Not so much.

Amazing what about 35 years, and a multi million dollar movie franchise can do for a character.

See this is the problem that folks who vote for Historical Importance just don't get....iron man is so popular not because he 'kicks butt', but because he's all about today's (and the futures) technology and that's something that kids of all ages can relate to.

The Thing is your fathers superhero, cosmic rays and ungentrified Yancy Street are unrelatable to most folks.

I mean, who cares about the Yellow Kid, Buster Brown, the Brownies, Barney Google, Mutt and Jeff and Tracy? In light of this, why is it so surprising that Showcase 4 and FF 1 continue to decline in the eyes of many.

I think FF #1 is probably the most important Silver Age issue. It ushered in the MARVEL AGE. It is the reason Marvel was able to produce books like it did. It was where Stand and Jack perfected their chops.

I mean, there was a time when the Thing was more popular than Iron Man in Comics. The Thing had his own Marvel Two In One for chirssakes, and Iron Man teetered on cancellation. The Thing as A list, Iron Man was B list.

See this is the problem that folks who vote for Historical Importance just don't get....iron man is so popular not because he 'kicks butt', but because he's all about today's (and the futures) technology and that's something that kids of all ages can relate to.

The Thing is your fathers superhero, cosmic rays and ungentrified Yancy Street are unrelatable to most folks.

I mean, who cares about the Yellow Kid, Buster Brown, the Brownies, Barney Google, Mutt and Jeff and Tracy? In light of this, why is it so surprising that Showcase 4 and FF 1 continue to decline in the eyes of many.

Agree! Hank Aaron is the Homerun King, Barry Bonds is !!

FF #1 is the Silver Age, everybody else is just following in their footsteps.

Showcase #4 did have its roots in fertile GA soil.

photo flash10109_zps48756c8b.jpg

photo Flash 101a_zpsp22wmbww.jpg

This fledgling pre-SA style Flash story, scripted by John Broome , is unique in that it substitutes cops-n-robbers cliches for a sci-fi adventure. Broome would go on to write the very first SA Flash time travel story in "The Man Who Broke the Time Barrier!", in Showcase #4 (along with Infantino and Kubert). Carmine Infantino and Bernard Sachs superb work in the GA Flash vision of time travel makes this one of the truly lost gems of the GA.

photo Flash 101b-1_zpsn0e130kz.jpg

All polls are heavy weighted for the most recent occurrences, especially when young people don't do any research and just vote for the only name they have heard of, I remember in 1999 near the turn of the century when there was a top 100 poll for just about everything and I astounded that the winners were always within the previous ten years, as if event in the first 90 years of the century didn't even count , for example Michael Jordan was voted greatest athlete of the century, Tiger Woods 1997 masters victory was voted golfs greatest moment, countless more unfathomable examples, and now we have those taking this poll out of context and dismissing FF1 hierarchy due to contemporary thinking although there is nothing wrong with the 2nd place FF1 finish

All polls are heavy weighted for the most recent occurrences, especially when young people don't do any research and just vote for the only name they have heard of, I remember in 1999 near the turn of the century when there was a top 100 poll for just about everything and I astounded that the winners were always within the previous ten years, as if event in the first 90 years of the century didn't even count , for example Michael Jordan was voted greatest athlete of the century, Tiger Woods 1997 masters victory was voted golfs greatest moment, countless more unfathomable examples, and now we have those taking this poll out of context and dismissing FF1 hierarchy due to contemporary thinking although there is nothing wrong with the 2nd place FF1 finish

And Baseball's All-Century team included Mark Mcguire.

I wouldn't exclude older and old people from the lack of insight when it comes to polls. Young people can give older generations a great deal of insight. Just see how the votes were broken down by age in a recent British referendum.

Let's face it, the Hulk was just a THING rip-off... :sumo:;)

Spider-Man is the single greatest creation in comics in the last 50+ years. He is the greatest concept, idea, innovation , period. He has carried the greatest and longest continuously running title that Marvel Comics (the greatest comic book company) has ever had. He has carried multiple titles simultaneously through multiple Ages of the hobby. He would have existed without the Fantastic Four #1. He would have existed without Showcase #4. That those came a bit before him is irrelevant. Those two book are lucky to even cower far beneath the AF #15. They lick its boots and say "yes master" whenever it deigns to wave a finger at them in a dismissive and passing gesture. Everyone knew how this poll was going to end as soon as it was started. There was never even doubt. Ever. The fact that the FF team is irrelevant now certainly is relevant because Spider-Man was basically created at the same time and is still a ridiculous, multimedia and generational platform crossing MACHINE! Anyone who has deliberately chosen to put on blinders to this obvious fact and dare to vote against the web-slinging arachnid must immediately surrender your nerd card and forward all of their most expensive CGC books to ME (including books with waves), for you have no business collecting comics.

Please PM me for shipping address details.

:grin:

-J.

Spider-Man is the single greatest creation in comics in the last 50+ years. He is the greatest concept, idea, innovation , period. He has carried the greatest and longest continuously running title that Marvel Comics (the greatest comic book company) has ever had. He has carried multiple titles simultaneously through multiple Ages of the hobby. He would have existed without the Fantastic Four #1. He would have existed without Showcase #4. That those came a bit before him is irrelevant. Those two book are lucky to even cower far beneath the AF #15. They lick its boots and say "yes master" whenever it deigns to wave a finger at them in a dismissive and passing gesture. Everyone knew how this poll was going to end as soon as it was started. There was never even doubt. Ever. The fact that the FF team is irrelevant now certainly is relevant because Spider-Man was basically created at the same time and is still a ridiculous, multimedia and generational platform crossing MACHINE! Anyone who has deliberately chosen to put on blinders to this obvious fact and dare to vote against the web-slinging arachnid must immediately surrender your nerd card and forward all of their most expensive CGC books to ME (including books with waves), for you have no business collecting comics.

Please PM me for shipping address details.

:grin:

-J.

Except for DEADPOOL ! :insane:lol