• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I Don't Like The Slab Phenom

162 posts in this topic

It's simply that in my estimation, thumbing through a $50-$100 currently priced EC and reading the stories, some of which I originally read in the '50's, provides a certain experience, that I couldn't possibly get from a $2,000 Gaines 9.4 slabbed book.

You said a mouthful there.

If any type of comic books absolutely beg to be read it is the EC library, simply because the stories and art are so damn good.

True, but a person didn't have to read them off the newsstand in the 50's to at least share in the experience.

I had my EC epiphany when I first read one back in 1979 and have never looked back. I have a lot of EC's, some in very high grade, and some of those remain slabbed (with undercopies). I enjoy the raw EC's to death too. Best of both worlds.

While Cat's Gaines file copies are slabbed, I'd wager he's read more than his fair share of EC stories over his collecting career (and he can correct me if I'm wrong). Even if not, I see nothing wrong with enjoying a killer high-grade pedigree book (for its cover and stunning condition) in a protective slab, if that's what someone wants to do.

A book in a slab can always be cracked out (and enjoyed in a different way) later.

I was not old enough to read them when they came out, but that makes no difference to my enjoyment of them, and I agree that each to their own. I'd love to own a GFC but it's out of the question for me. People enjoy this hobby of ours in many different ways, and more power to us.

I have seen him confronted and insulted a few times when he touts his preference for raws.

As this very thread illustrates Jimbo, the problem isn't fifties preference for raws, but rather his putting down of the collecting of slabs. Given his disdain for 3rd-party certification, his ignorance of the services that companies like CGC actually provide is understandable. However, given that, I don't quite get why he spent an entire week here posting in nothing but the "CGC's new slab stinks" thread espousing why collecting raw rules and collecting slabs drools? (shrug)

As I said earlier, anyone that regularly purchases books in the hundreds or thousands of dollars via mail order quickly realizes the benefits of 3rd-party certification. Those that prefer sub-$100, low grade readers and pine on about how things were better back in the 1950's when these books cost a dime probably don't. :screwy:

But if we are discussing the relative merits of different collecting experiences then it sounds like the guy who buys the slabs wins. At the end of the day it really just comes down to what makes each of us happy. I am happiest when I can read a comic in as close to original newsstand condition as possible. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate reading an old beater too.

I can't agree with that, personally, although for you and I imagine others, it works. For me, a VG copy is the best of all worlds, in that it presents decently, and I can thumb through and read it without worrying about depreciating it, as can happen in handling, esp with 60+ year old paper.

Years ago, when GA comics were 50 cents to a buck or two each, condition wasn't a concern, and one could and did get Fa to VF books for the same prices, at used bookstores. The few F to VF books I received, I would hesitate to open and read, for fear of damaging them. I then had to buy "reader copies" of them.

Even though on the surface it would appear that the guy who spends for the slabs would be more concerned with monetary value, by the sound of the statement above the exact opposite is true...though obviously for a different reason.

I have seen him confronted and insulted a few times when he touts his preference for raws.

As this very thread illustrates Jimbo, the problem isn't fifties preference for raws, but rather his putting down of the collecting of slabs. Given his disdain for 3rd-party certification, his ignorance of the services that companies like CGC actually provide is understandable. However, given that, I don't quite get why he spent an entire week here posting in nothing but the "CGC's new slab stinks" thread espousing why collecting raw rules and collecting slabs drools? (shrug)

I think that you missed my point, and perhaps because I didn't elaborate sufficiently. First, I have understood CGC to grade comics with brittle pages as up to 4.0; now given that, I think the question as to whether or not they actually count the pages is not ludicrous in the least, although I was reasonably sure they did.

And what services do they offer, beyond assigning a grade, and entombing the book in plastic? Oh yes, and maintaining a registry of it's position in their grading system.

Their new case problem displayed that the entire -if you will- artificial market that has been created by them was in danger of collapse for submissions of books currently and in the future. I was simply pointing out that the real -as far as I am concerned- comic book (raw) market is impervious to such manipulation. Now I recognize that that sentiment won't make me a buncha friends here, but I would expect that other viewpoints, such as mine, would be at least worthy of food for thought.

As I said earlier, anyone that regularly purchases books in the hundreds or thousands of dollars via mail order quickly realizes the benefits of 3rd-party certification. Those that prefer sub-$100, low grade readers and pine on about how things were better back in the 1950's when these books cost a dime probably don't. :screwy:

As to your first sentence, I stated that in my OP. I don't understand the reason for your "screwy" emot, and my sentiment for the '50's is apparently beyond your understanding.

"comic book (raw) market is impervious to such manipulation". Good one, let me introduce you to Daniel Dupcak...you guys would get along great! lol

Here's some advice friend - stick to posting about what you enjoy, and don't start threads hatin' on something that you know nothing about. (thumbs u

With that in mind, there are lots of alternatives for reading pleasure, from buying low grade under-copies and HC archive editions to (perish the thought!) PD photocopies sold on eBay

There are no alternatives for someone who wants to re-live experiences he had in the '50's, my friend; none.

Have you personally ever smelled the interior of an EC comic book fresh off the news stand? If not, and with all respect, you may not understand (by that example) the drift here.

Sorry, most of my ECs are lowly Gaines File Copies, too protected to receive a proper newsstand education. ;)

You obviously know a lot less about me than I know about you from your response. That's fine, I still respect your choices. Carry on, old chap. (thumbs u

With all respect, David, I kind of figured that this subject was beyond your comprehension, and I don't mean that in a derisive manner.

It's simply that in my estimation, thumbing through a $50-$100 currently priced EC and reading the stories, some of which I originally read in the '50's, provides a certain experience, that I couldn't possibly get from a $2,000 Gaines 9.4 slabbed book.

I have to assume that you are simply too young to have had that type of occurrence.

:facepalm: - Really?!? ...Just think of me as a sexy genarian.

fifties platform is a broken record - he sees things from only one perspective and one persective only, his own.

I'd say his platform has more in common with Edison music rolls than RCA Victor LPs,

but it's fair to say he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle (Groucho attribution).

"comic book (raw) market is impervious to such manipulation". Good one, let me introduce you to Daniel Dupcak...you guys would get along great! lol

Here's some advice friend - stick to posting about what you enjoy, and don't start threads hatin' on something that you know nothing about. (thumbs u

Never heard of Daniel Dupcak. AFA "hatin", I never implied that about the slab market, simply that I have no use for it.

On your "advice" about starting threads, thx, but I'll post whatever I damn please, as long as it conforms to forum rules. No one forced you to read this thread, did they?

If any type of comic books absolutely beg to be read it is the EC library, simply because the stories and art are so damn good.

Cracking and reading a Gaines file copy is the closest you come to the experience of buying it new off the stands. Even better than buying low/mid grade reading copy.

Well of course it would be, but that's a rather pricey experience!

But if we are discussing the relative merits of different collecting experiences then it sounds like the guy who buys the slabs wins. At the end of the day it really just comes down to what makes each of us happy. I am happiest when I can read a comic in as close to original newsstand condition as possible. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate reading an old beater too.

Yeah, on the can in the back of Bedrock City!

Cracking and reading a Gaines file copy is the closest you come to the experience of buying it new off the stands. Even better than buying low/mid grade reading copy.

Not if you bought them from Russ back when he first sold them... I can read mine anytime I want. Cost more than a dime but always a rush and worth it.

Not if you bought them from Russ back when he first sold them... I can read mine anytime I want. Cost more than a dime but always a rush and worth it.

Oh hell they were $400 and up back then in 1990 or so, weren't they? Outta my price range unfortunately.

Everyone is different and that's fine..... Slabs and CGC are the reason I got back into comic collecting after a 40 yr hiatus, I still have most my childhood comics, the smell of a comic is irrelevant to my comic collecting joy.

I have discovered that some of those whom are vehemently adamant against slabs are the same people whom likely have a higher percentage of PLODS in their collection

(example : Tomorrows Treasures)

plod

[plod]

verb (used without object), plodded, plodding.

to walk heavily or move laboriously; trudge:

to plod under the weight of a burden.

to proceed in a tediously slow manner:

The play just plodded along in the second act.

It's clearly getting personal now. :eek:

I think you're looking at it backwards. Your raw copy is devalued at auction because potential buyers don't know if it's complete and unrestored. The hammer price on the slabbed copy is the true market value because the buyer is informed. A buyer who is uncertain of the product they are bidding on will always bid less.

True market value should always be based on an informed customer base.

WELL SAID! :applause:

"potential buyers don't know if it's complete and unrestored" so unless I know the dealer, I always prefer slabbed.