• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Marvel Spotlight 5 much rarer in cgc 9.8?

14 posts in this topic

Picture frame comics in general are a biotch.

Add a black cover,and you get your answer. (thumbs u

Colour-breaking creases really stand out. More difficult to get exceptionally nice presentation, even in higher grades.

yes MS # 5

GG meant that as it was a #5 and not a #1 it wasn't prized at the time as much as a #1 would have been.

Add in the picture frame and black cover issues and even less high grade copies are likely.

Seems like the title itself did not lend it self to collecting (also the title came out sporadically so it was hard to collect, you never knew when it was showing up on the stands)

MS2 (1st WWBN) there are zero 9.8s

MP3 has 4 9.8s

ASM111 came out the same month, also with a black frame cover. THat only has 11 9.8s (as opposed to 17 of the issue before and 25 of the issue after)

Batman 243, also a black cover, only has 2 copies in 9.8

so I say blame it on the black cover, along with the fact that it was not very collectible at the start.

so I say blame it on the black cover, along with the fact that it was not very collectible at the start.

There are a number of black or dark cover Marvels from that era which are very difficult to find in uber high grade – even some popular superhero titles.

For example, Avengers #103 and #105 still don't have a single 9.8 in the census. They both have black covers.

And Iron Man #44 with its dark brown cover only has 6 9.6s in the census with no 9.8s.

There are a number of black or dark cover Marvels from that era which are very difficult to find in uber high grade – even some popular superhero titles.

For example, Avengers #103 and #105 still don't have a single 9.8 in the census. They both have black covers.

And Iron Man #44 with its dark brown cover only has 6 9.6s in the census with no 9.8s.

Do you think a small part of the reason with some of these books not having any 9.8's is because of a lower amount of submissions since they are not considered key books?

People have tried for over 15 years now, the last several like crazy, to find top census copies of these comics. The logical conclusion is that they don't exist in any great number in 9.8 shape if at all.

Spotlight #5 suffers from more than just its black cover. There were fewer copies printed than of the mainstream Marvel titles of the day, for one thing. For another, it's a title not as heavily sought after by new comic buyers, and so tended to sit in the spinner racks for longer than the ASM #111 and other best sellers. Much of the time, the spine stress lines on bronze comics come from when they were pawed and bent over in the spinner racks by customers looking for what other issues might be behind them.

Do you think a small part of the reason with some of these books not having any 9.8's is because of a lower amount of submissions since they are not considered key books?

It could be small part of it. But considering the books right around my three examples are very well represented in the census, I don't think it's much of a factor.

Avengers #102 has 36 9.8s. Avengers #106 has 24 9.8s. Avengers #104 which has a dark blue cover has only 5 9.8s.

And the books right before and after Iron Man #44 have many more 9.6s and 9.8s in the census.

It could be small part of it. But considering the books right around my three examples are very well represented in the census, I don't think it's much of a factor.

Avengers #102 has 36 9.8s. Avengers #106 has 24 9.8s. Avengers #104 which has a dark blue cover has only 5 9.8s.

And the books right before and after Iron Man #44 have many more 9.6s and 9.8s in the census.

Yeah some of this stuff is just uber difficult to find in uber high grade. Even collections like Suscha, which had multiples in uber grade for some issues, didn't have them. I'd love to see what an Avengers 103 would go for in 9.8 with decent centering. I'm afraid the first to census 9.8 will be a nice fat white striped spine copy.