• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Delays killing creator owned enthusiasm?

32 posts in this topic

Yeah. I'm buying more digital (just so I don't have to wait) and trades myself, so anecdotally, I can certainly see your point. Rebirth has been an improvement over the New 52 imo. If they can keep it up, DC could give Marvel all they can handle. That's something to look forward to all by itself.

I wasn't a retailer but for the last year and a half of the New 52 (and Convergence) and it's amazing to see the DC people come out of hiding and get behind Rebirth. They really seem to love it!

There were a lot of people positive about N52 when it was at an equivalent age - I give it another six months until the honeymoon is over.

One thing that has always concerned me about creator owned books, but does not detract from some of them being very enjoyable is by nature they must end at some point. One of the things that originally draw me to comics was the long history many of these characters have, despite the reboots. To me that is a plus that Marvel and DC will always have. With creator owned, if the writer loses interest, or the story just draws to a close, the story is over.

For instance, I felt that Y the Last Man is one of the best things I have ever read in any medium. Despite that, I have greater fondness for my old X-Men books, because the characters continue. The finality of even a great series decreases my desire to revisit and collect those books.

It doesn't bother me a bit. Walking Dead is the only monthly comic I read, and most of what I read is on no set schedule. When I'm not reading a modern I'm working through the ever growing stack of reprint trades. I can't keep up with the ones I buy and can't afford to buy the ones I want. I never run out of good comics to read, it's been a few years since the latest issue of Age Of Bronze, but when the next one comes out I'll buy it. I don't need it every month. I don't want it every month. That would cut into my slim budget and schedule for other great comics.

I don't buy 2000AD because it comes out too often, even though the few issues I wound up with were great.

I had NO ONE who was subscribing to The Fade Out (despite my constant praise) and yet, I sell the trades regularly. (I've already got a few people signed up for Kill or Be Killed though!)

I think this would read much better in trades and almost feel like I might go that route for some of Brubaker/Phillips new stuff. Fatale also read much better in a sitting. They are solid stories, but it just gets tough to remember what is happening from issue to issue.

Manifest Destiny is a good example. Dead and Dying is ridiculous. Drifter seemed to drift away, but has been back pretty strong. A really good book that people should be reading.

Manifest Destiny came to mind the second I saw the thread title. I was loving that book, but now I'm not so sure I will care when/if the next issue comes out.

That seems to be my big worry- some of these books never come back. There is nothing worse than investing in a book that just vanishes unfinished. It makes me hesitant to pick stuff up.

With some of the bigger guys, I think they do the indie stuff as a love project. They know that their real focus is the big stuff for Marvel and DC. That s what keeps the lights on for them. Look at someone like Bendis. His creator owned stuff is a mess when it comes to deadlines and solicits. It sort of stinks, but it isn't the end of the world.

Manifest Destiny is a good example. Dead and Dying is ridiculous. Drifter seemed to drift away, but has been back pretty strong. A really good book that people should be reading.

Manifest Destiny came to mind the second I saw the thread title. I was loving that book, but now I'm not so sure I will care when/if the next issue comes out.

That seems to be my big worry- some of these books never come back. There is nothing worse than investing in a book that just vanishes unfinished. It makes me hesitant to pick stuff up.

With some of the bigger guys, I think they do the indie stuff as a love project. They know that their real focus is the big stuff for Marvel and DC. That s what keeps the lights on for them. Look at someone like Bendis. His creator owned stuff is a mess when it comes to deadlines and solicits. It sort of stinks, but it isn't the end of the world.

#19 of Manifest Destiny came out last month and #20 came out 2 weeks ago.

My LCS sucks :facepalm:

I don't mind a story taking forever, but it is a bummer when one doesn't finish.

But I don't think the bigger guys are doing indy as a pet project. Marvel brings a steady paycheck, but the potential for generational wealth is in creator owned projects, as long as they're good. I think a lot of what makes them take longer is the focus on quality over deadlines. Marvel is publishing Spiderman every month, no matter what. I don't think many creators who are in charge of their own projects feel the same way about it. They all have bills to pay, but without the inherent following a multimillion dollar franchise license guarantees, the comic has to actually be good in order to sell. They can't just double ship whatever they can pump out on that schedule and offer a Campbell variant to multiply sales and expect it to work. They're not Deadpool or Wolverine.

My LCS sucks :facepalm:

Which illustrates the point. How many people lose the interest because of poor creator communication.

And obviously the shop's commitment, or lack thereof, is a major factor. Poor Rachel Rising fell off the map at most of our local shops even though it was such a fantastic book/ending.

Patrick

Which illustrates the point. How many people lose the interest because of poor creator communication.

And obviously the shop's commitment, or lack thereof, is a major factor. Poor Rachel Rising fell off the map at most of our local shops even though it was such a fantastic book/ending.

Patrick

So many people mentioned titles that inspired this thread. Manifest Destiny, Southern Bastards, Copperhead. Many books I read are coming to an end, so I am looking for a few more ongoings to get into. Seeing that a book is frequently delayed is a sure way to ensure I won't begin to buy it. I am definitely in the camp that wants to wait for the creators rather than a rotating team, but delays cause a loss in momentum of a story and make it difficult to follow. It makes it significantly worse when the creators don't announce it or communicate it. My confidence in buying a new book like that is nowhere near where it should be.

Those advocating trade waiting, I can get on board with that if the schedule is reasonable. I do that with Saga. They have planned breaks between arcs, and have a regular shipping schedule. I can't trade wait everything I read though, and if a book is late every other month, that is magnified for trade waiters.