• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.....one FINE Thread..... post those LOU FINE'S..........
3 3

374 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Lou Fine’s earliest covers.

DaAQc7F.jpg

I know that GCD credits the cover of Jumbo 8 to Fine, but I don't see it.  Nothing about this cover suggests Fine to me.  Moreover, I've always heard that Wonder Comics 2 is the first Fine cover. (shrug)  Paging @adamstrange.

Jumbo8(MH).jpg

11 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

I know that GCD credits the cover of Jumbo 8 to Fine, but I don't see it.  Nothing about this cover suggests Fine to me.  Moreover, I've always heard that Wonder Comics 2 is the first Fine cover. (shrug)  Paging @adamstrange.

Fine drew Count of Monte Cristo and Wilton of the West stories for this issue so I think the side panel featuring Wilton is from the interior story.  It's an Eisner cover but with a panel of Fine art.

9 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Fine drew Count of Monte Cristo and Wilton of the West stories for this issue so I think the side panel featuring Wilton is from the interior story.  It's an Eisner cover but with a panel of Fine art.

Yep, Jumbo Comics #8 is attributed as Lou Fine’s first published cover by virtue of him said to have drawn the Wilton of the West visual on the front, with Will Eisner drawing the rest of the cover. Wonder Comics #2 is attributed as Lou Fine’s first published cover he did by himself.

sWLNHLh.jpg

51 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Another dramatic entrance full of excitement , A fiendish Doctor meets his end , the damsel in bondage saved . The contrast between the deep blues and yellow really make this cover pop . I bought my first Mystery Men 1 nearly forty years ago from Jim Payette and have it still ,sits next to the Science 1 I posted earlier .

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_189a.jpg.ad2c642e132bc7d644c27fbc51e6b38c.jpg

:applause: Allentown copy?

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

nearly forty years ago from Jim Payette

Jim Payette :cloud9:

… a friend of mine told me almost 30 years ago that Payette had the best "Good" in the business … he wasn't joking. He's one of the few folks I'll buy from without seeing a picture first. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

13 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Billy owns the Allentown Mystery Men 1. It is graded a 9.2 and sold through Heritage a few years back.

12 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

This is apparently the last confirmed Lou Fine cover published while he was still alive (The Spirit #8, Spring 1947).

tB8qV9e.jpg

Wow. I didn't know that. And I actually have a copy! ...

spirit8.jpg

13 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

no,  not from a pedigree and not the equal to the Allentown   but for me any  sharp/bright  copies of anything lou Fine/Will Eisner  make my heart beat a bit faster .  I really like the usage of colors here .

14 hours ago, Drgoldage said:

Another dramatic entrance full of excitement , A fiendish Doctor meets his end , the damsel in bondage saved . The contrast between the deep blues and yellow really make this cover pop . I bought my first Mystery Men 1 nearly forty years ago from Jim Payette and have it still ,sits next to the Science 1 I posted earlier .

Nice one, Doc!

7 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Lou Fine was really hitting his stride at Quality Comics with this quality comic!

And along with working with Will Eisner, Fine was also said to have inspired Jack Kirby and Neal Adams. Adams’ art in in particular does have some similarities with Fine’s art, such as on the Ray.

ksdqjAW.jpg

LR6FIph.jpg

UYOVuKy.jpg

uYiwKX4.jpg

KOAuSQV.jpg

lTl7oLj.jpg

CwsYq94.jpg

This Lou Fine original art for The Count of Monte Cristo story ("from the Murphy Anderson Collection") was first published in Wags Magazine (4 November 1938) for distribution in the UK and Australia:

Jumbo_7_LouFine_OA.thumb.jpg.48f0c7ac3d04f82bb1c748c5655ee7e3.jpg

Less than a year later, when Eisner and Iger set up their shop for US distribution, and thin on new material, they reused this same page for Jumbo Comics #7 (April 1939 cover date; on-sale date of 7 February 1939):

Jumbo_7.thumb.jpg.35918ec962ad28f97b4e77954c6b28b8.jpg

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

One of the best in the Hit Comics run! Tremendous!

Thank you! Many books have come and gone in the collection, but that one is one of the keepers!

16 hours ago, Drgoldage said:

Beautiful! Love seeing stuff like this that hasn't been out for decades.  Glad you're sharing.