• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.....one FINE Thread..... post those LOU FINE'S..........
3 3

374 posts in this topic

I recently picked up this Alan Light 1974 collection of Fine's work in Smash and Crack and I had no idea of the volume of work he did for these two books. Nice Steranko Introduction too. I was so impressed I picked up these two comics. I think Fine did better interiors than covers! 

Lou Fine1.jpg

Lou Fine1a.jpg

Lou Fine2.jpg

lou fine2a.jpg

Crack 23g.JPG

Smash 27g.JPG

On 8/31/2024 at 10:45 AM, Ameri said:

I recently picked up this Alan Light 1974 collection of Fine's work in Smash and Crack and I had no idea of the volume of work he did for these two books. Nice Steranko Introduction too. I was so impressed I picked up these two comics. I think Fine did better interiors than covers! 

Smash 27g.JPG

Cover by Gil Fox and story by Reed Crandall.

Thanks for pointing that out! Being a newbie on Smash and Crack, I didn't know that Crandall replaced Fine in issue 24 as the stories continued to be signed E-Lectron even after Fine left. 

Interestingly, the Alan Light book reprints all the Ray stories from 24-30 essentially attributing all of them to Lou Fine. Perhaps in 1974 it wasn't known that Crandall did some issues? 

On 8/31/2024 at 4:23 PM, Ameri said:

Thanks for pointing that out! Being a newbie on Smash and Crack, I didn't know that Crandall replaced Fine in issue 24 as the stories continued to be signed E-Lectron even after Fine left. 

I saw the original art, which probably was saved by Gil Fox.

Even now, GCD attributions aren't always correct, but they are marked improvement from the time when anything from the "School of Lou Fine" was attributed to the Master.

On 8/31/2024 at 2:57 PM, adamstrange said:

I saw the original art, which probably was saved by Gil Fox.

Even now, GCD attributions aren't always correct, but they are marked improvement from the time when anything from the "School of Lou Fine" was attributed to the Master.

Did he do Salvator Mundi?hm

On 8/31/2024 at 5:05 PM, buttock said:

Did he do Salvator Mundi?hm

We aren't sure.

We do know that Gil Fox handled the restoration.

image.thumb.jpeg.2bef1c6070aceb431ca757de2600f1f8.jpeg