• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.....one FINE Thread..... post those LOU FINE'S..........
3 3

365 posts in this topic

Some of my favorites:

6505f282-600d-4d45-a007-32c02be8d1e6_zps0e9iivyq.jpg

I wonder if you and I are the only Golden Age collectors in Newport.

Could be, I know others in Orange County, but none here in Newport Beach.

Is Billy's at the Beach Restaurant still in business at Newport Beach? hm

The original owner there used to have some GA books, but that was 25 years ago when I was down there for my first SD Convention. Pretty sure he doesn't have any more now since he had to open his restaurant.

1cf4a03f-0c68-45c2-914a-7d5504aa1ed6_zpszltyjmtj.jpg

Absolutely love the finer details on that cover of National 7.

Definitely a classic cover and the cover in the entire National run, from my point of view. :cloud9:

Steve:

Any idea what that black "S" mark is on the cover of the book?

Just asking since I have seen it on quite a few of the early Fox books also, and these books all seem to be in pretty nice condition like your National 7. Just wondering if they are all from the same collection or not? ???

Edited by lou_fine

Steve:

Just asking since I have seen it on quite a few of the early Fox books also, and these books all seem to be in pretty nice condition like your National 7. Just wondering if they are all from the same collection or not? ???

There are two "S" types that I'm aware of, one is "Black S" (like this book) and the other is "Pencil S". Not just limited to Fox books, both extend across other publishers as well.

You're correct, not a recognized pedigree but the books are generally very nice! :)

If they were indeed from a single collection (either Black S or Pencil S), then such a collection would have been broken up long ago and we may never know their history.

Steve:

There are two "S" types that I'm aware of, one is "Black S" (like this book) and the other is "Pencil S". Not just limited to Fox books, both extend across other publishers as well.

You're correct, not a recognized pedigree but the books are generally very nice! :)

If they were indeed from a single collection (either Black S or Pencil S), then such a collection would have been broken up long ago and we may never know their history.

Thanks Steve; (thumbs u

Just checked my list of early Fox books and it looks like I have the "Black S" mark on issues 4 and 6 of my Mystery Men and also on issues 8 and 10 of my Wonderworld's. If I remember correctly, all four of them were pretty nice copies. :whee:

Just checked my list of early Fox books and it looks like I have the "Black S" mark on issues 4 and 6 of my Mystery Men and also on issues 8 and 10 of my Wonderworld's. If I remember correctly, all four of them were pretty nice copies. :whee:

:o:o:o:o

Steve:

Thanks Steve; (thumbs u

On occasion I've seen black penciled "S" in place of a stamp on peds, Rockfords for instance, but it's inconsistent.

Here's an example (alas, not a Lou Fine Fox, but Kirby)...

d8f8723a-72e3-4aa8-946d-25be9997c2ae_zpsf9822292.jpg

In spoilers so it won't sully this Fine thread. ;)