• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.....one FINE Thread..... post those LOU FINE'S..........
3 3

365 posts in this topic

Who is going for the Allentown Mystery Men #1 at the next Heritage signature auction?

That book was buried in a collection in Florida, but that was a while ago - interesting so see it up for auction.

Talk was some time ago that MM #1 hit a wall after it quickly accelerated in price in the Guide one year. I really love the entire early run of Mystery Men!

Needless to say, I think it is one awesome comic book (happy with my Denver copy so I won't be bidding).

Talk was some time ago that MM #1 hit a wall after it quickly accelerated in price in the Guide one year. I really love the entire early run of Mystery Men!

Yes, just checked and that was back in the '96 edition of the price guide when Overstreet jacked up the price from $2,100 all the way up to $8,500 and into his Top 100 list. Prior to that, all of the very early Mystery Men were selling for multiples of guide. No longer after that huge increase in guide.

Interesting to note that the book with the second biggest increase that year was Suspense 3 which went from $2,000 all the way up to $8,000 and also into Overstreet's Top 100 chart. Looks like both books have taken divergent paths since then with MM #1 eventually falling out of Overstreet's Top 100 listing while Suspense 3 is now poised to crack into his Top 30 Chart this year and possibly even into his Top 25 listing. hm

Yes, just checked and that was back in the '96 edition of the price guide when Overstreet jacked up the price from $2,100 all the way up to $8,500 and into his Top 100 list. Prior to that, all of the very early Mystery Men were selling for multiples of guide. No longer after that huge increase in guide.

Twenty years ago, how time flies - good research, Dean.

Who is going for the Allentown Mystery Men #1 at the next Heritage signature auction?

Good question. I may have to consult my crystal ball. think_smiley_28.gif

Yes, it will be very interesting to see where this book finishes up at since it is the highest graded copy to date and with the prestigious and highly sought after Allentown pedigree designation to boot. :cloud9:

From the HA archives, it would appear that the last copy to sell close to this type of condition was the 9.0 graded Carson City copy which went for almost $20K back in 2008. So, it's apparently been awhile since a relatively HG copy of this book has made its way into the marketplace.

Any preliminary guesses as to where this book will end up at by the time it's all said and done? hm

Yes, it will be very interesting to see where this book finishes up at since it is the highest graded copy to date and with the prestigious and highly sought after Allentown pedigree designation to boot. :cloud9:

From the HA archives, it would appear that the last copy to sell close to this type of condition was the 9.0 graded Carson City copy which went for almost $20K back in 2008. So, it's apparently been awhile since a relatively HG copy of this book has made its way into the marketplace.

Any preliminary guesses as to where this book will end up at by the time it's all said and done? hm

Yes, I'll make one prediction with confidence. This book will land in the collection of someone of substantial means. :grin:

Yes, I'll make one prediction with confidence. This book will land in the collection of someone of substantial means. :grin:

Oh, you mean one of the new generation collectors such as Ayman Hariri or are you referring to one of the old-timers such as you yourself? :baiting:

If it's the former, I believe they are really into more recognizable characters from much easier to find books such as DC's or Timelys for their Not So Impossible collection.

If it's the latter, this Allentown copy of Mystery Men 1 would be a perfect fit for your own personal collection. :takeit:

Twenty years ago, how time flies - good research, Dean.

Steve;

No research necessary at all as I clearly remember that was the time when I was basically priced out of the market for the early Fox books. Never did managed to finished my run of the early Wonderworld books before the door closed on me. :cry:

BTW: Since you are a well known Larson collector, would you happen to know if there is a Larson copy of Mystery Men #1 out there somewhere? hm

BTW: Since you are a well known Larson collector, would you happen to know if there is a Larson copy of Mystery Men #1 out there somewhere? hm

There is a Larson Mystery Men #1 (on the original list as a "NM"), but I don't know where it is and I've never seen it.

FYI, I have Larson copies of Mystery Men 2, 4, 5, 6, and 10 (and would love to find any others). :)

There is a Larson Mystery Men #1 (on the original list as a "NM"), but I don't know where it is and I've never seen it.

FYI, I have Larson copies of Mystery Men 2, 4, 5, 6, and 10 (and would love to find any others). :)

Do all 5 of your Larson MM books have the Larson name on them or instead, do some of them have the appropriate Larson numeric indicator for the MM run of books? Just wondering if some of the early Larson books might not have any markings at all on them? hm

Congrats on having 5 out of the first 10 as Larson copies. :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

Do all 5 of your Larson MM books have the Larson name on them or instead, do some of them have the appropriate Larson numeric indicator for the MM run of books?

Congrats on having 5 out of the first 10 as Larson copies. :applause:

Four out of the five have names (several unfortunately erased), and one has the specific recall number to that title.

There were three employees at the shop where the books were purchased, hence the variance in identifiers (apparently depending which employee was working at the time that the books arrived from the distributor).

Probably sitting next to the Larson copy of Action 1 since nobody seems to know where that copy is either. lol

Is it true that this original Larson list provides details on most of the books in terms of estimated condition, minor flaws or major flaws such as coupon out, no back cover, etc.?

Is it true that this original Larson list provides details on most of the books in terms of estimated condition, minor flaws or major flaws such as coupon out, no back cover, etc.?

Yes.

hit11.jpg

:luhv:

Hardly ever see this book,let alone in such stunning condition!

+1 Yes, a definite keeper here! :cloud9:

Absolutely love the use of the red and yellows on this cover and the details on the animals!

Have always personally considered this to be a classic cover long before it was broken out in the guide and designated as such by Overstreet. Was always hoping to find a HG copy of this book for my collection, but was unsuccessful before the book moved out of my price range. :(