• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are most important issues in Spectacular Spider-man?

47 posts in this topic

#116 and #119 - Spidey vs Sabretooth - Those were cool issues

#257 - "Identity Crisis" - Spidey becomes Prodigy (1st Prodigy)

Very good! #257 has three different covers: copy A has Spidey over Prodigy, copy B has Prodigy over Spidey and copy C has Spidey cover only. I have the copy A.

SSM very underrated in today's market. I have nearly a full run of the first 100 issues. Some great stuff in there.

Oh yes, I forgot...SSM #110 is where DD finds out that Peter and Spidey are one in the same and where DD reveals his secret id to Peter. Classic issue IMHO.

I remembered Avengers were underrated for a long time.

#43 -- First appearance of Roderick Kingsley the original and current Hobgoblin. Underrated book.

:applause:

When did he become Hobgoblin?

background.jpg

So it is his prequel appearance before becoming the character.

#116 and #119 - Spidey vs Sabretooth - Those were cool issues

#257 - "Identity Crisis" - Spidey becomes Prodigy (1st Prodigy)

Very good! #257 has three different covers: copy A has Spidey over Prodigy, copy B has Prodigy over Spidey and copy C has Spidey cover only. I have the copy A.

SSM very underrated in today's market. I have nearly a full run of the first 100 issues. Some great stuff in there.

Oh yes, I forgot...SSM #110 is where DD finds out that Peter and Spidey are one in the same and where DD reveals his secret id to Peter. Classic issue IMHO.

It's a fun series to read, regardless of keys or lack thereof

#43 -- First appearance of Roderick Kingsley the original and current Hobgoblin. Underrated book.

When did he become Hobgoblin?

background.jpg

So it is his prequel appearance before becoming the character.

I thought it was Ned Leeds but I decided to read about Hobgoblin in Wiki. I realized that Roderick orchestrated everything and framed Ned Leeds as a fallen guy. Here is more information about Roderick: Hobgoblin's secret identity

I thought it was Ned Leeds but I decided to read about Hobgoblin in Wiki. I realized that Roderick orchestrated everything and framed Ned Leeds as a fallen guy. Here is more information about Roderick: Hobgoblin's secret identity

Very cool!

The history of who the Hobgoblin was really going to be is interesting in itself. It turns out one of the writers and the editors differed so much on this, it led to in-house fights and mix-ups with lead-ins to other stories.

Hobgoblin wiki

The mystery became further complicated after James Owsley came on as editor of the Spider-Man titles. Owsley's relationship with DeFalco and artist Ron Frenz was strained from the beginning, and so when Owsley asked who the Hobgoblin was at a Spider-Man creators conference, DeFalco lied and said it was Ned Leeds. Owsley then wrote the one-shot Spider-Man vs Wolverine in which Ned Leeds is killed off (though the actual death is not shown), and instructed The Spectacular Spider-Man writer Peter David to reveal the Hobgoblin as the Foreigner. David objected and argued that the only person who fit the clues was Leeds (having been present at the Spider-Man creator's conference, David also thought that Leeds was who DeFalco intended it to be). Because Spider-Man vs. Wolverine had already been drawn, however, it was too late to undo Leeds's death.

When it's cheaper for readers to buy trades or digital, that's what happens to non keys. I don't think Marvel would allow a solo title for an A list to go on for that long without generating some hype issues. New characters or teams, or a death or two. A new costume, something.

The problem with Marvel and DC today is, if Spectacular Spider-Man existed today, the title would not last more than a few years before they cancel it for the sake of a quick re-launch to get that new #1 issue released (and many times) then issue multiple variant covers for every issue with cover illustrations that have nothing to do with the interior story.

I that way, I do prefer "the good ol' days"

When it's cheaper for readers to buy trades or digital, that's what happens to non keys. I don't think Marvel would allow a solo title for an A list to go on for that long without generating some hype issues. New characters or teams, or a death or two. A new costume, something.

The problem with Marvel and DC today is, if Spectacular Spider-Man existed today, the title would not last more than a few years before they cancel it for the sake of a quick re-launch to get that new #1 issue released (and many times) then issue multiple variant covers for every issue with cover illustrations that have nothing to do with the interior story.

+1

This title made it way past 200 issues - how many series can say that today???

+1

This title made it way past 200 issues - how many series can say that today???

I totally agreed with you. I have seen in 1970's, 1980's and 1990's but beyond 2000 I haven't seen any series that have gone past 200th issue. The only series I can think of is Walking Dead that is now #157 and can be steady to 200th.

The Hobgoblin story is very fascinating but I remember a lot of readers, when his "true identity" was revealed the readership was like WTH????????????????????????????????

Different writer - different approach applied to wrapping up the original reveal.

The Hobgoblin story is very fascinating but I remember a lot of readers, when his "true identity" was revealed the readership was like WTH????????????????????????????????

Different writer - different approach applied to wrapping up the original reveal.

I thought DeFalco came back and did a follow up in which he revealed him as Kingsley. I believe it was on the early 90s and called Hobgoblin Lives. I believe it made sense since he'd recently drugged Flash and made him Hobgoblin and stuff, right?

I thought DeFalco came back and did a follow up in which he revealed him as Kingsley. I believe it was on the early 90s and called Hobgoblin Lives. I believe it made sense since he'd recently drugged Flash and made him Hobgoblin and stuff, right?

Not DeFalco but Roger Stern.

The wiki pages Jolly and I were sharing with one another does a good job of outlining the handoff of the character, the reveals, and Stern coming back years later in an attempt to fix some of the changes to his character.

Stern was unhappy with the revelation that his character's civilian identity was Ned Leeds, and in 1997 he wrote a three-issue miniseries, Spider-Man: Hobgoblin Lives, with the retcon that Roderick Kingsley was the original Hobgoblin, and had brainwashed Leeds into serving as a fall guy. Macendale is killed off in this miniseries, and Kingsley is returned to operating as the Hobgoblin. According to Stern, initially he had not known how to resolve the situation of having two Hobgoblins, and it was at the suggestion of the editorial staff that he had Kingsley kill Macendale and take his place.

So I guess it depends on which reveal you are talking about. The original reveal, or the intended reveal?

Speaking of Hobgoblin, I believe issue 85 is broken out as an early Hobgoblin appearance and first appearance in SSM.

Love that cover!

Yeah, one of my favorite covers as well. The story also revealed some of the Hobgoblin's origin as far as obtaining his enhanced physical attributes.

1060615.jpg