• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downside to pressing? But not a pressing debate.

60 posts in this topic

This is not to start a press or not press debate.

I have several modern books that are high to very high grade. Many have been in my personal collection since I bought them off of the rack many years ago. I am fully aware that small color breaking defects will not be corrected by pressing, as well as what can and can't be pressed out. I want to get them graded, and was debating on pressing them or not. I think some would benefit from a press, but not become perfect. So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? What are the potential drawbacks? Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly?

Thanks

So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? Pressing will only increase the value of book if the potential exists. An otherwise perfect book with a 1 inch color breaking crease will not improve from a press, but a book with a stacking curl or waves from moisture will. With comics there is no blanket formula, it is on a book by book basis.

What are the potential drawbacks? The person you give your books to does not know what they are doing, they charge way too much, etc. I was just sent scans of a beautiful ASM 129 that was cooked by someone who advertises pressing on Facebook. I thought the before scan was the "after pressing" scan. For this privilege, the submitter was charged more than most reputable professionals would charge. This formula can be applied to everything from comics to window washing.

Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly? The short answer is no, but a proper pressing does not always equate to a grade bump. Anyone that has submitted books over time knows that you can crack a book out of a slab (say a 9.0 book) and do a straight resub and get back a higher or lower grade. This could be due to the book being over or under graded the first time out.

For anyone looking to get books done you need to look at a few factors, and one of them is insurance. How are your books insured while in the possession of the person doing the work. How will they be stored? Trust factors, etc.

Joey is the man and the only guy I'd trust with my books. (thumbs u

I have several modern books that are high to very high grade. Many have been in my personal collection since I bought them off of the rack many years ago. I am fully aware that small color breaking defects will not be corrected by pressing, as well as what can and can't be pressed out. I want to get them graded, and was debating on pressing them or not. I think some would benefit from a press, but not become perfect. So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? What are the potential drawbacks? Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly?

Thanks

So in general how reliable is pressing in increasing the grade of your average VF or higher books? Pressing will only increase the value of book if the potential exists. An otherwise perfect book with a 1 inch color breaking crease will not improve from a press, but a book with a stacking curl or waves from moisture will. With comics there is no blanket formula, it is on a book by book basis.

What are the potential drawbacks? The person you give your books to does not know what they are doing, they charge way too much, etc. I was just sent scans of a beautiful ASM 129 that was cooked by someone who advertises pressing on Facebook. I thought the before scan was the "after pressing" scan. For this privilege, the submitter was charged more than most reputable professionals would charge. This formula can be applied to everything from comics to window washing.

Can pressing (yes I would use a know reliable person), hurt the grade if it is done properly? The short answer is no, but a proper pressing does not always equate to a grade bump. Anyone that has submitted books over time knows that you can crack a book out of a slab (say a 9.0 book) and do a straight resub and get back a higher or lower grade. This could be due to the book being over or under graded the first time out.

For anyone looking to get books done you need to look at a few factors, and one of them is insurance. How are your books insured while in the possession of the person doing the work. How will they be stored? Trust factors, etc.

+1

Thanks

+1

He's the only presser I've ever used.

and I thought CCS was high for their pressing charges.

The turn around time I am offering is less than 24 hours.

CAK...your prices are crazy, and you're only pressing 8 books...?

Come on, now....

I recall you posting earlier, in another thread, that you won't touch anyone's books for less than $50 (or it might have been $60).You cited numerous reasons, the gist of them being that most people do not grasp just how much effort is needed to properly and effectively press books, they need to realize that there is much more involved than fifteen bucks worth of labor.I agree with what you posted earlier.

How much would you charge, if you were to offer a turn around time of less than 24 hours?

I am not talking about spritzing a book with an iron and slapping it into a press for 2 minutes, then flipping it over like it was a pancake....and then taking it out and letting it "set" under whatever 50 or 100 pounds worth of weight that happens to be lying around.....or whatever is the norm for the onslaught of dolts that I see hawking pressing on various comic sites/Facebook comic groups for the cost of a medium pizza from Domino's :whatev:

If I wanted to do that, I'd buy enough presses to fill a hotel room and go to town at $20 a pop.

I have the time and manpower (me, myself and I) to dry clean & press at *most* 8 books within that window.

DRy cleaning 8 books = labor time of 8 hours.

That is a low end estimate.You know that.

I don't need the work.

I have plenty of my own books I need to get pressed & sub at the show.

Adams will be there.I just bought a lot of 250 or so books in the past day with a few 70's Adams Bat keys.

Batman 234 that will likely press up to an 8.0, that is a $1000 GCG SS book in 8.0... I can use that time to press an FF 52 that I also bought yesterday..It's a a sharp 5.0/5.5 that will likely press to an 7.5, maybe an 8.0.That is $500+ difference in GPA for the FF 52, if it's pressed and the Bats 234, if pressed...and Adams throws a decent sketch of Ras on it for a CGC SS slabaroonie...call that another easy $500 in differnce between pressing the book or just a straight sub.

Not to mention the moderns that I am pressing now, as I type this post...Wolverine 66's,Nyx 4's etc etc...I've got plenty of work to keep me busy all of today, and over the weekend.

I am not going to spend hours of the day at the con dry cleaning books (in the spare time when I am not talking and dealing with customers), only to spend another 8+ hours pressing books at my hotel room that night....for what?

Time is a valuable commodity.

When you say you don't need the work, in reality it's most likely no one's desperate (crazy?) enough to pay 200 for a clean/press. If people were lining up with crisp 200 dollar bills your personal books would wait.

Thanks

+1

I am raising my prices to $800 per book. No waiting as I now fly to your home and press onsite. After all, time is money and above all else valuable.

:insane:

Thanks

+1

I am raising my prices to $800 per book. No waiting as I now fly to your home and press onsite. After all, time is money and above all else valuable.

Well, we do have a spare bedroom. What would you like for breakfast? hm

Hi:

I was reading your post on pressing. I have pressed for about 3 1/2 years now and have really done nicely in raising my grades. I now press for many locals and comic stores in the area.

I was wondering about the dry cleaning part. I have used humidification effectively but have never thought about dry cleaning. Is this something youre willing to share. If not here maybe vial email?

Thank you.

Good grief. The entire market is full of wannabe pressers..... :tonofbricks:

Wannabe? Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

No, he is a wannabe. I think, if you read his comments closely, he is quoting what CAK recommended for dry cleaning.

Good grief. The entire market is full of wannabe pressers..... :tonofbricks:

Wannabe? Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

No, he is a wannabe. I think, if you read his comments closely, he is quoting what CAK recommended for dry cleaning.

dry cleaning ≠ pressing

Joe, are you sure about this offer?

image_zpsa5hqbju1.jpg