• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age: Rarest of the Rare?

46 posts in this topic

Wouldn't a list with all those great books with 1 issue on census be great? I don't see the problem with making a scarce list, as a collector I value the insight and research pooled together- call me crazy

How about 3,316 books with 5 or less on the CGC census (alphabetical by publisher, then book name):

http://valiantman.com/cgc/lowcensus1933_to_1945_20160708.txt

Fantastic list, but I guess it would be impossible to do up a list of books with a census count of zero (0)? hm

Wouldn't a list with all those great books with 1 issue on census be great? I don't see the problem with making a scarce list, as a collector I value the insight and research pooled together- call me crazy

How about 3,316 books with 5 or less on the CGC census (alphabetical by publisher, then book name):

http://valiantman.com/cgc/lowcensus1933_to_1945_20160708.txt

Fantastic list, but I guess it would be impossible to do up a list of books with a census count of zero (0)? hm

Great minds think alike. My submission: The Nightingale (the only "good" comic ever published according to Wertham). Only two known copies in private collections. One copy obtained a long time ago directly from the artist's file in a trade deal and the other copy sold privately for four figures a year or two ago.

I was browsing the CgC consensus on supply of some of the scarce Golden Age timelys such as USA 8 (15 total copies recorded)

Funny you should mention that since I was contemplating bidding on that exact book last night! I ended up getting smoked at the last second..probably due to a bid I placed on another USA book that night (:

And thank you valiantman for that wonderful and highly interesting list!

I was browsing the CgC consensus on supply of some of the scarce Golden Age timelys such as USA 8 (15 total copies recorded)

Funny you should mention that since I was contemplating bidding on that exact book last night! I ended up getting smoked at the last second..probably due to a bid I placed on another USA book that night (:

And thank you valiantman for that wonderful and highly interesting list!

I don't know who did that.... :acclaim:

Any list would also have as a complication the comics that aren't in the census because they can't be slabbed, but are crazy rare, like New Fun 1-6, Jumbo 1-8, and to a lesser degree Master 1-6. Just to use one of these as an example, Heritage has only sold 2 copies of Jumbo 8, one was in GD, the other was the Church copy. That's 2 copies, one that is a pedigree and the other that is low grade with a 4 inch spine split, in 15 years of regular auctions!

Tonight I happened to notice that the census shows no graded copies of Love Secrets 56 (Matt Baker cover). Is this a rare book? That's an honest question. I genuinely don't know. Sometimes lack of census showing can be misleading.

Many books are not slabbed simply because their owners don't want them that way. There are hoards and hoards of books out there that will not see a slab until their owners do. Still, I see the fascination with the census..... and the relevance of the slab. Rarity is one of those concepts where the anecdotal may actually shed more light on the truth than hard data will. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

... now some hard data that would truly be applicable here would be that of eBay..... but alas, we do not have access to that motherload..... I just hope they had the foresight to preserve it all...... maybe someday....

The article in this thread:

Pre-Hero DC Scarcity

Is a great place to start, even though it is limited to one subset and even that isn't technically Golden Age.

+1

That's a fantastic read on the various scarcity ratings for the Pre-Hero DC books. (thumbs u

Sure brings back some fond memories as these were the books that got me into GA collecting in the first place. :cloud9:

I've been looking for a copy of Fawcett's Funny Animals #6 for 6 years now. I have seen one copy in that time, and it was a beater (I should've bought it). There are no copies in the census and Hetritage have only ever had one copy, a VF sold in 2007 (which I'd give a kidney for).

I can't tell how rare it really is, but it'll do until something genuinely rare comes along!

some great info here. i've never slabbed any of the books i intended to keep, many have 5 or less copies in the census. as jimbo said, there's unkown quantities of raw copies out in the wild. the census has great value, in a comparative sense (to me, at least).

some great info here. i've never slabbed any of the books i intended to keep, many have 5 or less copies in the census. as jimbo said, there's unkown quantities of raw copies out in the wild. the census has great value, in a comparative sense (to me, at least).

+1

Yes indeed!

Many of the older collectors still have not bothered to grade any of the books from their personal collection. Why, even I appear to have a few of the books that is showing up on that < 5 Census List. :whee:

In addition, the census is only for CGC graded books and as such, would also not include any of the graded books from the other company. :gossip:

I was browsing the CgC consensus on supply of some of the scarce Golden Age timelys such as USA 8 (15 total copies recorded) and got to looking for a list of the lowest supply books out there. Something like Motion Picture Funnies Weekly has 7 cgc graded total (1st submariner.) I was curious of any lists out there? If not, maybe this thread can start a list of the lowest supply books out there. The rare of the rare. The books that if they come up once a year it's a good year. Golden Age only, when these books were not made to be collectible and the rarity is true.

Yes, there has been a list out there, although it was developed BS (before slabbing). Ernie Gerber's Scarcity Index, and in addition, his Relative Value Index. Not perfect by any means, but most likely as educated of a guess as anything else that's been available for raw books.

Catman Comics is a very tough run, only 32 issues but about half the run is scarce to very rare.
several are very tough for sure

Catman Comics is a very tough run, only 32 issues but about half the run is scarce to very rare.
several are very tough for sure

I guess because they share a publisher and even some weird crossover in regards to numbering of issues, I've found Captain Aero to be a difficult run to complete.