• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simply astonishing !! 4 photos of art that just mesmerized me !!

45 posts in this topic

The Jordan Schnitzer museum, here on the University of Oregon campus, had an exhibit of EC comic original art, and, oh .... it was amazing !! There were at least 100 pages of original EC art on display by the likes of Wood, Feldstein, Kurtzman, Orlando, Ingalls, Wolverton, Frazetta, Williamson etc.... on display....... and I was drooling !! DROOLING !! My party left me behind because I found myself staring intensely and with my face only a few inches away from the artwork, for such long periods of time, that they got bored with my seemingly statuesque posture and went on to the next works. I however could have stared at the Wally Wood work almost indefinitely. I have always loved Woods work, especially in MAD...... but to see his pen work up close and in person was just astonishing !! This OA cover was pretty cool too :popcorn:

j%20s%20museum%202_zpsgqlny5oh.jpg

j%20s%20museum%204_zpsxbcjikty.jpg

To think that someone..... somewhere on the planet actually owns these......just shook me...... I mean, there is only one of them.... ONE !!

And by their graciousness....... I was able to stare at it from 6 inches away, for as long as I wanted

j%20s%20museum%203_zpsxkxazlct.jpg

I looked at this one longer than any of the others. It was just amazing !! AMAZING !! There was not 1/4 of an inch of space where Woods pen did not place some kind of black line

Sorry for all the pics of me..... but I needed some kind of contrast for size, and my wife was helpful to take the pics for me :)

The Jordan Schnitzer museum, here on the University of Oregon campus, had an exhibit of EC comic original art, and, oh .... it was amazing !! There were at least 100 pages of original EC art on display by the likes of Wood, Feldstein, Kurtzman, Orlando, Ingalls, Wolverton, Frazetta, Williamson etc.... on display....... and I was drooling !! DROOLING !! My party left me behind because I found myself staring intensely and with my face only a few inches away from the artwork, for such long periods of time, that they got bored with my seemingly statuesque posture and went on to the next works. I however could have stared at the Wally Wood work almost indefinitely. I have always loved Woods work, especially in MAD...... but to see his pen work up close and in person was just astonishing !! This OA cover was pretty cool too :popcorn:

j%20s%20museum%202_zpsgqlny5oh.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pics. :) I had a similar experience at the Dallas Fantasy Fair about 14 years ago. I had the pleasure of getting that close to some Frazetta OA and paintings, as well as a great collection of Russ Heath OA. I wanted to stay all day looking at the amazing detail on their works of art. Masters indeed!!

As a lifelong EC fan I would’ve loved to have gone to that exhibition. You’re very lucky. :)

One publisher with most of the A-list comic artists of the 1950s, some of the most gifted artists in the entire history of the medium. Simply incredible level of craftsmanship. Fact, not hyperbole.

I believe this Eugene, OR University EC art show is closing today Sunday but there are a couple of outstanding 1 hr Youtube posted videos of detailed analysis of the EC Wood, Kamen, etc. original artwork and MAD mag movement here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JSchnitzMOA

I did not realize the Frazetta Weird Science #29 OA cover was loaned for the exhibit else I would have driven down for sure even though the Wood alone would have been worth it. (thumbs u

I believe this Eugene, OR University EC art show is closing today Sunday but there are a couple of outstanding 1 hr Youtube posted videos of detailed analysis of the EC Wood, Kamen, etc. original artwork and MAD mag movement here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JSchnitzMOA

I did not realize the Frazetta Weird Science #29 OA cover was loaned for the exhibit else I would have driven down for sure even though the Wood alone would have been worth it. (thumbs u

You had always planned to go down until you got caught smuggling comics into the US during Emerald City.

Plus, you always knew about the Weird Science Fantasy 29 cover so WTF? (shrug)