• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watchmen The Ultimate Cut 4k Ultra HD blu-ray...
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2018 at 10:04 AM, Bosco685 said:

About this much better since the director of Doctor Strange was posting about favorite movie details on Twitter.

There is a distinction between the Director's cut and the Ultimate cut, no?  the Ultimate cut has the interwoven Black Freighter segments while the director's cut does not, is that correct?

Personally, nomatter what cut, if it still has that Doctor Manhattan ending, then the film goofed.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:50 AM, fantastic_four said:

I read Watchmen long before the film and didn't really like the Black Freighter stuff there, either.  I respected the innovative approach but hated the content of those parts.

The interdimensional squid was just bizarre.  Having Dr. Manhattan fill that same role makes far more sense.

no one ever enjoyed the Black Freighter stuff first time through I don't think, but I think it holds up extremely well on re-reading as an allegory of Ozymandias and the madness that consumes him. I read the trade every few years, along with DKR Sandman and Starman and forced myself to read it as written and not just skip that stuff and then I was glad that I had done so.

Edited by Bird

IIRC, Snyder regards the Director's Cut as 'his' cut, which is why I bought that one instead of the Ultimate.

Snyder was already ridiculously faithful to the source material, and I actually enjoy the alternate ending. I think that it fits better (on film, at least).

12 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I thought the Ultimate Cut was just the directors cut but you could select extras to view like The Black Freighter. 

Watchmen Comparison: Director's Cut vs Ultimate Cut

Needless to say that Zack Snyder‘s congenial adaption of Alan Moore‘s cult comic had a difficult start at the box office. With over $130 Million Dollar production costs (promotion not included) the movie worldwide hardly made $190 Million Dollar at the box office. It is nowhere near enough to break even. Even the $75 Million Dollar from the DVD sale and rental don’t help any further. Anyhow one can state even after several times viewing: The microcosm WATCHMEN is a cinematic pleasure definitively belonging to the masterpieces of the last decade.

On the 3rd of November 2009 the "Ultimate Cut" has been released in the US where the Tales of the Black Freighter has been accurately inserted from the original into the Director’s Cut. Also available in this marvelous collector’s box is Watchmen - The Complete Motion Comic (on 2 DVD), a bulky bonus disc amongst others the pseudo-documentation "Under the Hood" as well as a digital copy of the movie itself. This bargain box for fans is definitively a point of honor and apart from that one can mention that due to the insert of the comic the movie measures up to the origin and adds this already dark movie more darkness.

Furthermore should be mentioned that Gerard Butler has got an extra start credits because he is the voice of the Sea Captain in the Black Freighter Tales.

watchmen_compare.JPG.a4c5a97500b8b6c3012ef8dcc4351efa.JPG

14 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I thought the Ultimate Cut was just the directors cut but you could select extras to view like The Black Freighter. 

My understanding was that the UC was the DC + the Black Freighter stuff. Didn't know there were 'options'.

Cool interview with Zack Snyder on his preferred cut.

Zack Snyder Gives His Thoughts on ‘Watchmen’: Director’s Cut vs. Ultimate Cut

Steve recently spoke to Snyder at the press day for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and asked which of the three versions of the film—theatrical, Director’s Cut, or Ultimate Cut—Snyder preferred.

Snyder responded:

"The Director’s Cut…look—I think if you’re a crazy fan, which is fine, The Director’s Cut with The Black Freighter is for pure comic book freak-out. But for me, the Director’s Cut without The Black Freighter is sort of—because it was never designed—I wanted to do The Black Freighter, I wanted to do it, but we didn’t really design it to be intercut with the rest of the film, so we kind of had to jerry-rig it in, and though it goes in pretty nicely, I never felt like it was 100% completely organic. So for me, the Director’s Cut, which has Hollis’ death and other things like that."

On 9/21/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'm divided over The Director's Cut versus The Ultimate Cut which stands out for me.

I have both. Which is great to have the options. But I lean toward the former as a more straightforward story.

The Director's Cut is better for me, and most (observation), and apparently Snyder himself lol. Black Freighter doesn't really tie-in to the movie, and IIRC, that's the only difference between the DC and UC.