• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flying with Comics?

12 posts in this topic

I am moving from Texas back to California and debating how to ship the best of my collection. I drove out there so that was easy, now I am flying back so I wanted to see what others would do to get the best of my collection. i am thinking a mix of carry on the flight and just shipping to myself. If i packed good enough I could do a carry on but figure those get just as thrown around as a mailed package. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!-d

I would pull out all the valuable stuff and either carry it or individually ship them. If you start packing large volumes of lower price books it just becomes too much time and energy. For those pack as best possible, but quick and ship them.

FedEx has a Custom Critical service "for nonstop, door-to-door, time-specific delivery."

There's a also a company called Craters and Freighters that I used to ship 72 boxes of slabs across country. I thought they did great work.

IeXCfF.jpg

FedEx has a Custom Critical service "for nonstop, door-to-door, time-specific delivery."

There's a also a company called Craters and Freighters that I used to ship 72 boxes of slabs across country. I thought they did great work.

IeXCfF.jpg

(worship)

Texas is sorry to see you leave, man.

[Guess this frees up my promise to get in touch if/when I sell my dupe of ST110? ; ) ]

Sometimes with 10 or so books instead of the cardboard sandwich, then bubble wrapped, I'll bubble wrap tight bundle around the books, then use the stiff-cardboard sandwich outside the bubble. Ten bundles of 12 books can't fit in one carry-on and large backpack, but maybe you can take several. But as you said, once the carry-ons are beneath seat or in o/h they will get banged around maybe a lot.

I'd drive back, flying seems so, well, civilized.

Texas is sorry to see you leave, man.

[Guess this frees up my promise to get in touch if/when I sell my dupe of ST110? ; ) ]

Sometimes with 10 or so books instead of the cardboard sandwich, then bubble wrapped, I'll bubble wrap tight bundle around the books, then use the stiff-cardboard sandwich outside the bubble. Ten bundles of 12 books can't fit in one carry-on and large backpack, but maybe you can take several. But as you said, once the carry-ons are beneath seat or in o/h they will get banged around maybe a lot.

I'd drive back, flying seems so, well, civilized.

Thanks! What we do for family

Not worried about rest of collection, will be transported in 5 days and a lot are being transported in a safe. The real books I can't just buy back is what I am traveling with. Driving takes 2 full days and a third to recover, for my job finicial it's better to fly- write off the expense and buy more books ;)

El Paso to San Diego is a one day drive. I've done that twice (actually to Riverside, CA). Anyway I guess you are out further.

Extra checked baggage? I've seen all sort of stuff in checked baggage. Tool boxes, golf clubs, surfboards, scuba gear.

Maybe get a big Pelican Case, carve out some foam inserts and put the comics in. This could work for carry on as well if the Pelican Case was the right size. If not a pelican case, a hard sided suitcase.