• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to build a great little comics-only con? Suggestions wanted.

54 posts in this topic

Okay, that's interesting but OTOH isn't Terry's attendance well under 1000? We have a great established promoter up here and his new comics show with tons of pop culture, etc. (Ie, way way more ambitious than what we have planned) got 1500, just outside the San Francisco limits. In a metro area of like four million.

We have several long running local pop culture/comic shows that draw about 1000 people. 2500 is a lot.

Just checked the promoters Facebook page and here is what he said about the attendance:

"I recounted down the drawer and we actually had 2306 paid admissions. That does not count the 100 or so vendors we had or the 150 or so children under the age of 6 who got in for free. Amazing support from the community. Bravo my friends, bravo."

Next year he moves to a bigger hall and I've definitely got a booth lined up. That many people for a 1 day Sunday show is staggering.

Yeah, that's impressive. What city is that in?

Warren Ohio. Outside of Youngstown - kind of on the border between Ohio and PA.

The only Ohio con I did back in the day was Toledo, in early 86. Snowy. The weekend that DKR 1 came out. The promoter (who shall remain nameless, he's a big dealer now, or was ten years ago) was cutting up a page or two of Chaykin American Flagg art, panel by panel and giving away original art that way. My buddy and I were outraged.

MidOhioCon started around then and if I'd stayed in Michigan I'm sure I would've done that one in '87 or '88.

If it is to be comics only, be prepared to say no to vendors who want to give you money just to have a booth at a show where a crowd will shop up. Eg., people selling cell phones, water filters, insurance, blah, blah, etc. Each show seems to be have some out of place vendors about whom you wonder "Why are you here?". But the sad answer is that there is a crowd, and any crowd will do. And the problem of such cling-ons goes all the way to SDCC where we saw a panel a few years ago for The Expendables.

Agree. I think Verizon was showing up at Wondercon in SF as early as 2007 or 2008 for the crowds. I don't think we're going to worry about such things. I'm also trying to discourage toy vendors and other pop culture stuff for the first show because I don't know if there will be enough attendance for them and I also can fill the room with just comic vendors anyway.

Terry's Comics runs a great comics-only show every year in Yorba Linda.

It's a small show, but it's comics-only focus attracts quality dealers: Harley, Bunkys, Ted at Superworld, Graham Crackers, etc.

Think I read online that Terry draws less than 500 ppl through the door but they are all hardcore, educated :luhv: collectors with wads of greenback$ to spend on back-issues.

I'm sure no one cares what I think, but I remember the good old days of cheap table fees, no guests, and lots of sellers.

The convention business has involved into glitter, guests and high table fees that make it prohibitive for Joe Schmoe collector to set up a booth and sell off his collection.

I remember years back, probably 30+, comic shows were charging $125 a table, while gun shows $15. I think if you have a convention in an inexpensive venue, cheap tables, no admission, and advertise, it would encourage a lot of grass roots participation. 2c

Agree. I think Verizon was showing up at Wondercon in SF as early as 2007 or 2008 for the crowds. I don't think we're going to worry about such things. I'm also trying to discourage toy vendors and other pop culture stuff for the first show because I don't know if there will be enough attendance for them and I also can fill the room with just comic vendors anyway.

No offense...., but here's the offense. What kind of rules does the great state of California have that make it prohibitive for collectors to sell there? Sales tax collection, business license, etc.????? :shrug:

I'm sure no one cares what I think, but I remember the good old days of cheap table fees, no guests, and lots of sellers.

Au contraire, that's exactly how we are thinking and what we are talking about.

Although 30 years ago table fees at places I knew were only $25 to $40 max. Unless it was a giant show like Wondercon, three days at a convention center, $150. :cloud9:

No offense...., but here's the offense. What kind of rules does the great state of California have that make it prohibitive for collectors to sell there? Sales tax collection, business license, etc.????? :shrug:

I just signed up a collector today who is bringing all kinds of cool stuff, none of it picked over. The only rule if you're a collector is you need a reseller license (free) and need to collect sales tax. Really not that big a deal and probably all states with sales taxes require that now.

I think what makes it prohibitive for collectors is that all your keys sell, the other stuff doesn't, it's easier to sell it online in some ways, and a lot of the collectors just don't have that good of an inventory or have a wall display, etc. etc. It takes forever just to grade and price everything too.

What I would like to see with cons, even SD, is that if they are taking big money from Verizon, etc., I'd like to see booths that are 90% comics pay a lower rate and be subsidized.

Marc,

Not sure if you offer 2 different sizes of dealer's tables. e.g. 6' long table would be cheaper to rent than an 8' table for those 1st timers looking to sell at your comic-centric con and not sure how their retail sales would be compared to the established Big Boy :sumo: competition.

How about a bid board. I collected coins in the mid 1970’s and on every Thursday night a couple of coin stores by my house would have a bid board. People would register and get a number and once they are registered they could bid or submit items to be placed on the bid board. There were hundreds of lots and pretty much every lot had ample bids. If I remember correctly new items would go on the board Friday afternoon and would remain there until the following Thursday night. This was a complete hit as every Thursday night was packed.

I’m not sure if something like this would work at a one day show but it would be a good idea for a LCS.

The place has a variety of tables, so in this case, yes. :)
Where and when is this?

The show? I was thinking you should come down and set up... meet about 20 boardies. I have listed it in Comic Events.

Is that on this website? That's why I was asking.

event web site

OK - I see it is only 400 miles. Table fees $75 b4 8/1

I might try it depending on the vacation schedule. We're still trying to coordinate our trip to our family's Idaho Cabin for the summer.